Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Share Your June Photos (2024)

PreviousPage 3 of 3

Last one ebony jewel-wing. They are beautiful. Nice shot. 

Nikon and Sony make cameras with Insect tracking. 

I use backbutton AF with a single AF point 95% of the time.  The shutter button has no effect on AF.  Personally I find a lens less than 300 mm too little distance between me and the subject.  My 200-500 @500 works like a champ.  Minimum focus distance is 7 feet.  The 300mm f4 is 4.8 feet.

Here is an album of shots. The EXIF data should be all there.  There are a few older shots with the inexpensive 70-300 and one in there with the 300mm f4 PF I borrowed.  That would be my weapon of choice.  The PF version replaced the one I have.  Optically about the same but way smaller, lighter  and has VR.  Possibly one of the nicest lenses I ever used. 

The newer shots will be more impressive because they have AI noise reduction. 

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjBwoft

The Tokina 100mm macro is sharp, inexpensive and light. All I use it for is smaller insects that hold still. It's honestly a clunky lens and moving the lens back and forth is the way I generally use it, because the AF kinda sucks.  Stabilization would be better for this too. I only paid like $125 for it in perfect conditions with a few Kenko tubes, I couldn't pass it up. 

When you start getting that close with small insects. DOF becomes a battle because in some cases at higher magnifications it's a fraction of a mm. 

I would love to get a newer camera with focus bracketing. 

Quote from kcphotogeek on June 17, 2024, 1:20 pm

Got out with my new purchase the other night the TT Artisan 50mm F1.4 TS lens. It's a quirky beast and it will take me a while to really master it but pretty happy with my first efforts, such a fun lens. It rained too which only helped the DOF 

Are these shot @ 1.4?  The color saturation is really nice.  What camera? 

My great niece asked me to do some headshots of her.  Used D810 with 85 1.4,  Did most with a SB-800 in a softbox but also window lit.

I like the B&W a lot but that green shirt matched her green eyes really nice. 

Uploaded files:
  • Lexi-1-19.jpg
  • Lexi-1-16.jpg
  • Lexi-1-2.jpg
  • Lexi-1-10.jpg
Quote from KankRat on June 23, 2024, 11:05 am

Last one ebony jewel-wing. They are beautiful. Nice shot. 

Thanks 🙂
Its one of the subspecies of Calopteryx virgo, very similar looking but the ebony jewelwing should not exist in Europe.

I do use long focal length too + crop sensor, its much easier to get close enough and get everything in focus but on the other hand it will never look like "real" macro.
The 2 shots I posted are completely different exactly because of that. First one is from 3m away zoomed in while the second is an actual macro shot from couple centimeters away. 

At least I got the genus right. 

This is from 2.5 meters away. Zoom in, the details are crazy. 

Monarch by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

kcphotogeek and Kamera Brand have reacted to this post.
kcphotogeekKamera Brand

I got my first roll of 120 back. These were taken on my Pentax 645:

FP000016 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

FP000019 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

FP000017 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

FP000018 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

FP000023 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

FP000028 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

FP000025 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

FP000026 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

I'm extremely happy overall with how they turned out. I did notice though that these needed a lot of cleaning. They seemed to be dust magnets, I'm not sure if it was just the batch, but none of my 35mm stuff ever needed as much work as these did. I'm also unhappy with my scanning solution. Trying to scan them on full frame, just requires a sacrifice of so much resolution because of the difference in aspect ratio. Leading me to consider either buying a micro four thirds camera or more likely something like a Pentax 645d to scan my 120 film with, but obviously that's a lot of money for a camera I really only intend to scan with. So I'm hoping you guys have some recommendations on how to scan 120.

kcphotogeek has reacted to this post.
kcphotogeek
Quote from KankRat on June 23, 2024, 11:42 am
Quote from kcphotogeek on June 17, 2024, 1:20 pm

Got out with my new purchase the other night the TT Artisan 50mm F1.4 TS lens. It's a quirky beast and it will take me a while to really master it but pretty happy with my first efforts, such a fun lens. It rained too which only helped the DOF 

Are these shot @ 1.4?  The color saturation is really nice.  What camera? 

I shot between F1.4 - 2.5 depending on the scene. All shot on the Sony A7II

Kieran
Quote from KankRat on June 23, 2024, 5:33 pm

At least I got the genus right. 

This is from 2.5 meters away. Zoom in, the details are crazy. 

Monarch by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

Amazing shot

Kieran

Took the Lumix GX80 w/12-32 F3.5-5.6 out for a stroll last Sunday. It's an underrated combination for street photography

Uploaded files:
  • makati062324-010.jpg
  • makati062324-007.jpg
  • makati062324-004.jpg
  • makati062324-003.jpg
  • makati062324-002.jpg
Cory Maben has reacted to this post.
Cory Maben
Kieran
PreviousPage 3 of 3