Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Share Your June Photos (2024)

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next

Got out with my new purchase the other night the TT Artisan 50mm F1.4 TS lens. It's a quirky beast and it will take me a while to really master it but pretty happy with my first efforts, such a fun lens. It rained too which only helped the DOF 

Uploaded files:
  • TS1.jpg
  • TS2.jpg
  • TS3.jpg
  • TS4.jpg
  • TS5.jpg
KankRat and grover have reacted to this post.
KankRatgrover
Kieran

I love owls. You're fortunate! I think in some cultures seeing an owl is a bad omen, but I think it's a good sign 🙂 Yes, that's a barred owl.

In mouse and rat cultures it's for sure a bad omen. 🙂

Nice shot. 

Morning walk in the Rocky Mountains

I'm in a phase where I like to bump the saturation. I will almost certainly regret that in a month. The cycle continues. Always keep your RAW files!

Pentax K-1 ii and Tamron 17-35

_IMG7813_hdr

Pentax K-1 ii and DFA 28-105 ( just bought this lens )

_IMG7741

_IMG7708

Justin Tung has reacted to this post.
Justin Tung
Quote from kcphotogeek on June 17, 2024, 1:20 pm

Got out with my new purchase the other night the TT Artisan 50mm F1.4 TS lens. It's a quirky beast and it will take me a while to really master it but pretty happy with my first efforts, such a fun lens. It rained too which only helped the DOF 

I stared at these for a good while. Cool effect and pretty awesome first use of the lens!

First attempt at snapping flying insects.
Picture is rather boring because there was no flower or anything but maybe someone gets inspired to give it a try.

Taken handheld, no special equipment required other than a lenses that can focus somewhat close.
I used a 105mm on APS-C crop and then cropped some more digital.

Uploaded files:
  • photo_2024-06-21_22-00-15.jpg
KankRat has reacted to this post.
KankRat
Quote from Kamera Brand on June 21, 2024, 8:09 pm

Picture is rather boring because there was no flower or anything but maybe someone gets inspired to give it a try.

Taken handheld, no special equipment required other than a lenses that can focus somewhat close.

I tried for years to get a respectable shot of a dragonfly in flight.  I got one the first week I got the 300mm f4 because the AF was so much faster than the 70-300 zoom I had.  I really haven't got another as good since.  Now the new cameras have eye detect. It's just not fair.

Quote from grover on June 20, 2024, 11:21 pm

Morning walk in the Rocky Mountains

I'm in a phase where I like to bump the saturation. I will almost certainly regret that in a month. The cycle continues. Always keep your RAW files!

_IMG7813_hdr

Pentax K-1 ii and DFA 28-105 ( just bought this lens )

_IMG7741

_IMG7708

Saturation looks right to me.

I think we are getting to the end of Cicada-mageddon" here.  I don't remember it being this crazy 17 years ago.  It is insane. What a clumsy dopey insect too.  I kind of feel bad for them. 17 years underground only to emerge to die in horrible ways but hopefully have a little love-fest first.

Anyway I figured I would break out the ol Tokina 100mm and get a few pics because if I live long enough to see them again, I'll be pretty freaking old. 

Uploaded files:
  • cicada-1.jpg
Kamera Brand has reacted to this post.
Kamera Brand

Okay I took this today also . Always wondered why the eyes look out of focus when they should not be. Its eyes looked like video screen as I was taking this , and now I think you can only see the detail compound eyes when they are looking directly at you. 

Uploaded files:
  • untitled-1.jpg
Kamera Brand has reacted to this post.
Kamera Brand
Quote from KankRat on June 22, 2024, 9:25 pm
Quote from Kamera Brand on June 21, 2024, 8:09 pm

I tried for years to get a respectable shot of a dragonfly in flight.  I got one the first week I got the 300mm f4 because the AF was so much faster than the 70-300 zoom I had.  I really haven't got another as good since.  Now the new cameras have eye detect. It's just not fair.

I don't know if there is actually eye detect for dragonflies (or other insects) and whether it would be fast enough to use in flight.
The camera I used to take the hoverfly shot above certainly has none of that (Camera was releases 10 years ago).

Also I've spoken to a guy recently who had several years experience in professional macro photography including flying insects and he actually told me he only used manual focus for flying insects. The only technical "cheat" is to have a camera with ~10 FPS burst speed.
But he also told me that some "professionals", would use high speed video cameras with fixed focus, then position the camera in a way the insect flies into focus, the rest is a matter of finding the best frame and some edit trickery.

If you can get close enough handheld the best way to focus is by moving the camera back and forth. The hard part is predicting where the insect will be in the air by studying their pattern. For example dragonflies often sunbathe for a while then fly for a few seconds and come back to the same spot again. Shortly before they land is the best moment because that is when they fly the slowest and the position is predictable near the landing spot.  I tired this on dragonflies the other day and within couple attempt I got some in-flight shots (no good ones tho).

Took some shots non-flying of course while I waited for them to fly again.

Uploaded files:
  • photo_2024-06-23_03-24-20.jpg
  • photo_2024-06-23_03-26-48.jpg
KankRat and kcphotogeek have reacted to this post.
KankRatkcphotogeek
PreviousPage 2 of 3Next