Please or Register to create posts and topics.

SHARE YOUR JULY PHOTOS! (2022)

PreviousPage 5 of 19Next
Quote from JBP on July 7, 2022, 12:59 am

Lovely colors in those photos!

Thank you!

I've had covid the past week and I've been getting all kinds of fevers. Regular fever, cabin fever. Today I had photo fever bad so I slapped on the Helios and Raynox 150 and went to town... I mean, my back yard. There was a red weed flower/fruit thing that caught my eye. Then I saw a firefly posing perfectly and took a bunch of photos of him. Couldn't believe how still he was for me... wait a minute... yup, he's dead. Oops. I deleted those photos. Just didn't seem right. 🤣 Luckily I found this guy on a leaf nearby. The branch was swaying in the breeze, I was swaying trying to shoot macro freehand, and he kept crawling around. But I got some shots! It was very fun. Macro is challenging but rewarding. 🙂

Oh no! Sorry to hear you're sick. Hope you'll feel better soon. I'm a veteran of the shooting-the-backyard myself when I don't feel up to anything else…

I, for one, would've liked to see the dead bug!

The live one is very cute.

BTW, the berry looks like either a wild strawberry or a false wild strawberry (it has a specific name but I can't think of it and the botany web site crashed my browser (in 2022!!) and I had to come back here and rewrite my comment).

I think it's the false kind, that are basically like foam in both texture and taste. Either way, it's probably edible! Very very shiny and appealing.

SpruceBruce and JBP have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceJBP

K1 & a Super Takumar 200mm F4, the Hamel Minnesota Rodeo.  I didn't even know that there's a Rodeo 20 minutes from my house!  I want to attend more, and shoot a whole body of work at them.  What a blast to photograph.  This lens is a keeper too! I fixed the manual/auto aperture switch that was stuck, after getting it dirt cheap.

Uploaded files:
  • IMGP2635.jpg
  • IMGP2555-1.jpg
  • IMGP2460.jpg
  • IMGP2526.jpg
  • IMGP2633.jpg
James Warner, Justin Tung and 7 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerJustin TungBeau CarpenterDaniel GonzalezkcphotogeekJBPgroverPentaxEdBart Kerste
Quote from PentaxEd on July 8, 2022, 3:03 am

Hope everyone had a great holiday weekend.

First time using my camera on bulb mode shooting using a remote control with my Pentax K-3 and my kit lens DA 18-55mm. I wish I was closer to the action or had a longer range lens with me... didn't think I needed. Will be better prepared next time.

These are great! Personally, I like being able to see more of the scene, definitely brings you into the moment

PentaxEd has reacted to this post.
PentaxEd

Selection of July photos! Taken on Fujifilm X-T3

SpruceBruce, kcphotogeek and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
SpruceBrucekcphotogeekJBPgroverPentaxEdDavid Maynard
Quote from SpruceBruce on July 1, 2022, 9:27 pm

Kicked this month off with the OG Fuji Finepix Pro S2 paired with macro extension tubes & Nikkor 135mm F3.5/ 200mm F4.  Capturing the mundane on walks with the pup around town in those beautiful circa 2002 super CCD rendered colors.  Fun fact, there's native catcus plants in SW Minnesota that are native to a small corner of the state border near Iowa/SD, that a gardener has managed to adapt to the Central MN soil and climate at my community garden outside my house.

I love the cactus in Minnesota! When I first moved there in 2002 I was so amazed to learn this that I drove from the twin cities out to Blue Mounds SP to check them out! I didn't know there would be snakes everywhere though, haha. 🙂 I'm visiting MN this month (I now live in LA) and will make my way through western MN tomorrow on my way to SD to visit more family. I might have to get some shots of them along the way!

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Quote from David Maynard on July 11, 2022, 1:43 am

Kicked this month off with the OG Fuji Finepix Pro S2 paired with macro extension tubes & Nikkor 135mm F3.5/ 200mm F4.  Capturing the mundane on walks with the pup around town in those beautiful circa 2002 super CCD rendered colors.  Fun fact, there's native catcus plants in SW Minnesota that are native to a small corner of the state border near Iowa/SD, that a gardener has managed to adapt to the Central MN soil and climate at my community garden outside my house.

I love the cactus in Minnesota! When I first moved there in 2002 I was so amazed to learn this that I drove from the twin cities out to Blue Mounds SP to check them out! I didn't know there would be snakes everywhere though, haha. 🙂 I'm visiting MN this month (I now live in LA) and will make my way through western MN tomorrow on my way to SD to visit more family. I might have to get some shots of them along the way!

Have you been to the Pipestone National Monument? I've seen them there as well! It's my favorite place in SW Minnesota, and then I went to Devil's Gulch in SD just North of Sioux Falls!  Very cool underrated parts of American history.

David Maynard has reacted to this post.
David Maynard
Quote from SpruceBruce on July 11, 2022, 2:28 am
Quote from David Maynard on July 11, 2022, 1:43 am

Have you been to the Pipestone National Monument? I've seen them there as well! It's my favorite place in SW Minnesota, and then I went to Devil's Gulch in SD just North of Sioux Falls!  Very cool underrated parts of American history.

I have, but long ago!! Good tip on Devil’s Gulch, I haven’t been there yet! We will be in Brookings for a few days, so that would be a fun adventure to go on!

Quote from ahoyhere on July 10, 2022, 1:22 am
Quote from JBP on July 7, 2022, 12:59 am

Lovely colors in those photos!

Thank you!

I've had covid the past week and I've been getting all kinds of fevers. Regular fever, cabin fever. Today I had photo fever bad so I slapped on the Helios and Raynox 150 and went to town... I mean, my back yard. There was a red weed flower/fruit thing that caught my eye. Then I saw a firefly posing perfectly and took a bunch of photos of him. Couldn't believe how still he was for me... wait a minute... yup, he's dead. Oops. I deleted those photos. Just didn't seem right. 🤣 Luckily I found this guy on a leaf nearby. The branch was swaying in the breeze, I was swaying trying to shoot macro freehand, and he kept crawling around. But I got some shots! It was very fun. Macro is challenging but rewarding. 🙂

Oh no! Sorry to hear you're sick. Hope you'll feel better soon. I'm a veteran of the shooting-the-backyard myself when I don't feel up to anything else…

I, for one, would've liked to see the dead bug!

The live one is very cute.

BTW, the berry looks like either a wild strawberry or a false wild strawberry (it has a specific name but I can't think of it and the botany web site crashed my browser (in 2022!!) and I had to come back here and rewrite my comment).

I think it's the false kind, that are basically like foam in both texture and taste. Either way, it's probably edible! Very very shiny and appealing.

Thank you! I am feeling much better, although I think it will be a while before I am completely rid of this cough. The strawberry definitely looked tasty. I found another in the yard yesterday. I've always wanted a garden, but I wasn't expecting to get one with zero effort. 😅

Quote from Beau Carpenter on July 10, 2022, 7:14 pm

Selection of July photos! Taken on Fujifilm X-T3

Lovely photos! I am always taken by Fujifilm photos. Something about the rendering is just so nice. I know there are film sims but it doesn't seem to matter which one is being used, I always love the results.

Those mushrooms look other-worldly. Very cool.

My wife took our kiddo to a co-worker BBQ and I guess I wasn't invited (huge relief!) so I finally, finally, went kayaking. It's something we used to do together often but it is difficult to make happen now. Anyway, it was a great and much needed outing and I took lots of photos, although I was gently scolded for taking my K-3 out on the water (I'm told I should use my old camera for that, the K10D... and usually I do, but I wanted to use the PLM which is not fully compatible with the K10D.) Worth it!

Insects have been posing for me a lot lately. Thanks, little guys!
 IMGP3024 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

BIF (bug in flight)
 IMGP3113 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

We don't have to talk about what kind of photographer this technically makes me. Instead let's focus on the heart shape they are making and the cute babies they'll have together. 💕
 IMGP3185 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

This stinker was one of the most agile birds I've seen... he would swoop down to the water and snatch a bug in a flash. I tried to capture that moment but he was so fast.
 IMGP3194 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

It was a hot day, even for them.
 IMGP3311 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

Almost missed the eagle. I heard a sound and looked up and my settings were all wrong, but I got him - barely!
 IMGP3325 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

This is my favorite shot of the day.
 IMGP3395 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

Reflections 🙂
 IMGP3495 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

Usually I'm a "leave it as you found it" guy but in this instance I'll allow it. 😛
 IMGP3553 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP3558 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP3609 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

James Warner, Beau Carpenter and 5 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerBeau CarpenterSpruceBruceDaniel GonzalezkcphotogeekBart KersteEckyH

@jbp that looks super fun! Glad you're feeling up for it and had the chance. I bought a cheap inflatable kayak a few weeks ago to see if my daughter would go with me. So far her attention span has lasted about 5 minutes 🙂 But we are working up to something longer one day, haha. I have a dry bag ready to put the camera in while we're getting out on the water, but then I'll just have it out. I can stash away quickly if I need to, but I feel like the risk to pretty low that I would all together drop it, or sink so quickly I couldn't just slide it back in the bag... Anyway, my whole take on that is what's the point of having a camera if you can't use it when you want to? 🙂 Worth the risks.

SpruceBruce, Daniel Gonzalez and JBP have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceDaniel GonzalezJBP
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from James Warner on July 11, 2022, 6:58 pm

@jbp that looks super fun! Glad you're feeling up for it and had the chance. I bought a cheap inflatable kayak a few weeks ago to see if my daughter would go with me. So far her attention span has lasted about 5 minutes 🙂 But we are working up to something longer one day, haha. I have a dry bag ready to put the camera in while we're getting out on the water, but then I'll just have it out. I can stash away quickly if I need to, but I feel like the risk to pretty low that I would all together drop it, or sink so quickly I couldn't just slide it back in the bag... Anyway, my whole take on that is what's the point of having a camera if you can't use it when you want to? 🙂 Worth the risks.

It was super fun! One of the things I love most about photography is that it pairs so well with other outdoor hobbies. Photography from the viewpoint of a kayak is so much fun. And I feel like the wildlife will often let you get much closer than on foot. 🙂

Good idea to get her feet wet, so to speak. She'll warm up to it eventually. I've seen people skeptical of it (whether scared or just thought it would be boring) and there's a point when it clicks "hey, this is fun!"

I do the same, dry bag to get in and out, then it's on my lap the rest of the time. I leave a strap on it in case the camera gets away from me...maybe I could grab the strap before it disappears into the abyss. I think the risk is low as well, but I also think of the time my Dad lost his glasses while kayaking in the river. He swatted a bug away and hit his glasses off his face. One second there, another second gone. 🤣

SpruceBruce and Daniel Gonzalez have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceDaniel Gonzalez
PreviousPage 5 of 19Next