Please or Register to create posts and topics.

SHARE YOUR JULY PHOTOS! (2022)

PreviousPage 14 of 19Next
Quote from RyanG on July 26, 2022, 1:47 am

Took a quick trip to the Zoo a few weeks ago to test out a lens adapter for my M50 MII.  I tired to shoot more unconventional Zoo photos, looking for hidden color, patterns and lighting.

A fun idea, and great results! I tried this same thing on our last zoo trip. I can't say I was as successful as you, but it certainly was fun. 🙂

Quote from James Warner on July 26, 2022, 1:59 am
Quote from SpruceBruce on July 26, 2022, 1:40 am

@james-warner-b Have you made it to the Lamar Valley yet?  Saw you said you haven't seen much wildlife yet, there's good chances of seeing every species in the park there.  Awesome GR shots!

No, and sadly won't be able to this time, but I've done it before. We did the long hike without the kids, and then with the kids just hit up old faithful area because we needed to be in and out of there for their sake. We will do a short trip through Teton national park so might see something there. Last time I was there we saw two moose and a bear. 🙂 My in-laws live up here so I get to go back often, which is nice. Don't have to feel like I need to pack it all in one trip.

I like those 31mm shots a lot. The dog shots and the last metal building shot are my favorites. I don't ever see that kinda stuff unless I'm out east, or I guess if I get to visit Minnesota sometime.

Some SOOC JPEGs from the Ricoh GR with a polarizing filter I'm testing out from Freewell (magnetic kind, kinda cool).

Dust spots still included 🙂 😀

Very nice. Those deep blues 😍

I took the K-1 ii for it's first road trip. Love it. I can really tweak my composition by cropping in post-processing and still retain good detail. So far this is the thing I appreciate most about my K-1 vs my K-3.

These pictures were taken in Wasagaming, Manitoba, Canada which is a small town in Riding Mountain National Park.

Uploaded files:
  • IMGP1158_tonemapped_tonemapped.jpg
  • IMGP1119.JPG
  • IMGP1178.JPG
  • IMGP1301_tonemapped_tonemapped.jpg
  • IMGP1261.JPG
James Warner, SpruceBruce and 6 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBrucedenniscrommettJBPDavid MaynardBart KersteEckyHRyanG

A couple more from my trip last week.

The K-1 ii is a total beast. I brought all my lenses but wound up using only my Sigma 28mm f1.8 and Tamron 70-200 f2.8. Now I know I can probably save some weight in my bag next time and only bring those two lenses on most trips (or get a wide-normal zoom).

Uploaded files:
  • IMGP1258.JPG
  • IMGP1326.JPG
  • IMGP0990.JPG
  • IMGP1136_tonemapped_tonemapped.jpg
  • IMGP0954_tonemapped_tonemapped.jpg
James Warner, SpruceBruce and 6 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBrucedenniscrommettJBPDavid MaynardBart KersteEckyHRyanG
Quote from grover on July 26, 2022, 3:59 pm

I took the K-1 ii for it's first road trip. Love it. Fiddling with prime lenses gets a bit old but I managed.

These pictures were taken in Wasagaming, Manitoba, Canada which is a small town in Riding Mountain National Park.

Beautiful photos. Love that each of your sunsets have an interesting foreground element. 🙂 I've never used one but it sure seems like the K-1 brings the most out of every image. 🙂

grover has reacted to this post.
grover

@jbp @james-warner-b @ryang

thanks all, the hotel grounds overlook a volcano in the middle of the lake so it’s pretty high up and the atmosphere has a bit of a haze so I increased highlights decreased clarity in LR to try a give it a fantasy feel to it

back from that trip now will be editing pics tomorrow looking forward to seeing how the IR pics turn out

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP
Kieran
Quote from grover on July 26, 2022, 4:10 pm

A couple more from my trip last week.

The K-1 ii is a total beast. I brought all my lenses but wound up using only my Sigma 28mm f1.8 and Tamron 70-200 f2.8. Now I know I can probably save some weight in my bag next time and only bring those two lenses on most trips (or get a wide-normal zoom).

Pics look great. One thing my latest trip told me is I need to consolidate my gear, the K1 has been tempting me for a while, IQ is great but my brain tells me that camera will just make my gear bag bigger and heavier. If only I was a rich successful photographer that could hire assistants 🙂

grover
Kieran
Quote from JBP on July 26, 2022, 4:17 pm

I took the K-1 ii for it's first road trip. Love it. Fiddling with prime lenses gets a bit old but I managed.

Beautiful photos. Love that each of your sunsets have an interesting foreground element. 🙂 I've never used one but it sure seems like the K-1 brings the most out of every image. 🙂

Thanks!

Considering I have a K-3 ii, I really don't NEED the K-1. I LOVE my K-3 and I'll never part with it.

The advertised benefits of the K-1 over the K-3 are:

• less noise / higher ISO
  • more dynamic range
  • higher resolution

I need more time with the K-1 but I'm guessing in practice these improvements over the K-3 will rarely "make or break" the shot.

My comparison so far ( K-3 ii vs K-1 ii ):

• With my K-3 I try hard not to bump the ISO beyond 800. With the K-1 I can comfortably go beyond 800 but I haven't tested the limits yet
  • The dynamic range is subtle but noticeable in some shots. Also, I find I can more easily post-process images to give an almost HDR look. All shots above were single exposure without any in-camera HDR. The image with the lamp-post almost looks like HDR but it was just a couple tweaks on a single exposure.
  • The higher resolution allows me a bit more freedom to crop for those times when I don't nail the composition in-camera. So far this is probably what I appreciate most.

One question I wanted to answer for myself this past week was: " Do I see myself using the K-3 going forward or will I just use the K-1? "

Answer: I will use my K-3 plenty. The body is only slightly smaller but if you combine this with smaller lenses then the overall package becomes more manageable. Additionally, I really like my Sigma 17-50 and 10-20 APSC lenses and they pair well with the K-3 to make a very portable "system" with great optics. Finding that kind of pairing in full frame with both body and glass is going to be more expensive and bulky. Bottom line is, if I'm heading out and don't know what I'm shooting I'll take the K-3. When I head out specifically for the purpose of taking photos, tripod and all, then I'll grab the K-1.

Oh and side note: I do love the moon lander tilty screen. A nice bonus.

SpruceBruce, kcphotogeek and JBP have reacted to this post.
SpruceBrucekcphotogeekJBP
Quote from grover on July 26, 2022, 4:40 pm
Quote from JBP on July 26, 2022, 4:17 pm

Thanks!

Considering I have a K-3 ii, I really don't NEED the K-1. I LOVE my K-3 and I'll never part with it.

The advertised benefits of the K-1 over the K-3 are:

• less noise / higher ISO
  • more dynamic range
  • higher resolution

I need more time with the K-1 but I'm guessing in practice these improvements over the K-3 will rarely "make or break" the shot.

My comparison so far ( K-3 ii vs K-1 ii ):

• With my K-3 I try hard not to bump the ISO beyond 800. With the K-1 I can comfortably go beyond 800 but I haven't tested the limits yet
  • The dynamic range is subtle but noticeable in some shots. Also, I find I can more easily post-process images to give an almost HDR look. All shots above were single exposure without any in-camera HDR. The image with the lamp-post almost looks like HDR but it was just a couple tweaks on a single exposure.
  • The higher resolution allows me a bit more freedom to crop for those times when I don't nail the composition in-camera. So far this is probably what I appreciate most.

One question I wanted to answer for myself this past week was: " Do I see myself using the K-3 going forward or will I just use the K-1? "

Answer: I will use my K-3 plenty. The body is only slightly smaller but if you combine this with smaller lenses then the overall package becomes more manageable. Additionally, I really like my Sigma 17-50 and 10-20 APSC lenses and they pair well with the K-3 to make a very portable "system" with great optics. Finding that kind of pairing in full frame with both body and glass is going to be more expensive and bulky. Bottom line is, if I'm heading out and don't know what I'm shooting I'll take the K-3. When I head out specifically for the purpose of taking photos, tripod and all, then I'll grab the K-1.

Oh and side note: I do love the moon lander tilty screen. A nice bonus.

Good assessment. Those are the thoughts I've had from reading about (and drooling over) the K-1. But lately I've been really grateful for the relatively small size/weight of the K-3 and apsc lenses. I would really like to have a tilty screen and better ISO performance, but without increasing size/weight, so I think the KP could be a sensible option for me. But man those used KP prices are something else... I feel like they went UP instead of DOWN in the past year or two. 😒 Used K-1's can be found for not much more, which is crazy to me.

grover

After the rain comes sunshine.

Today it was a bit rainy after a dry period. A good time to go on a macro path. With luck I found a bee that was still drying from the rain. The flower with the drops completes it for me today.Both photos were taken with the Olympus E30 and the macro 35 mm f3.5

Uploaded files:
  • P7260010kopie.jpeg
  • P7260029kopie.jpeg
SpruceBruce, denniscrommett and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
SpruceBrucedenniscrommettkcphotogeekJBPgroverEckyH
Within the limits of my equipment consciously looking for painting with light.
Quote from Bart Kerste on July 26, 2022, 6:29 pm

After the rain comes sunshine.

Today it was a bit rainy after a dry period. A good time to go on a macro path. With luck I found a bee that was still drying from the rain. The flower with the drops completes it for me today.Both photos were taken with the Olympus E30 and the macro 35 mm f3.5

wow nice.

I kinda thought I was done with macro flower photos this year but then I see these and think....  nope, I gotta chase that 😉

JBP and Bart Kerste have reacted to this post.
JBPBart Kerste
PreviousPage 14 of 19Next