Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Share your January Photos (2024)

PreviousPage 4 of 4

LOL. Autocorrect changed "Tamron" to 'Tampon".  

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP
Quote from KankRat on January 28, 2024, 4:06 pm

Playing with gear and software:

I am trying to test my new "lightweight" lens combo, the 300f4  with the 1.4 TC. (420mm f5.6).  In the Nikon world this lens combo was the gold standard for budget wildlife glass that the tampon and sigma 150-600 was judged agains.  I notice a degrade in AF indoors, which you would expect given it's letting in half the amount of light.  it is said (on the internet) that the 1.4 hardly degrades the IQ. I have the 1.7 TC also and I notice it's not quite as sharp as the naked lens.  By itself the 300f4 is the fastest AF of any lens I have and the sharpness is off the charts. 

so far it looks pretty sharp and the AF speed outdoors even gloomy, cloudy weather is pretty good.  I think it's as good maybe faster than the 200-500mm.  No VR though. 

Excuse the feeder shots. These are just for tests purposes. I think they look pretty good, considering in order to use a 1/2000 shutter speed wide open at 5.6 I am resorting to ridiculous ISO values. 18000 (not 1800) and 22,800!. More impressive than the lens is how the DXO Mark software renders these.  Even "Deep Prime" shows only a bit better feather detail than "Prime".  No other edits in LR.  First edit is Deep Prime second is Prime. 

Nice! After lugging around way too much gear I am valuing lightweight and small package more and more. I still lug around too much but not as much. Sometimes less is more.

I've been eyeing that lens for my Nikon setup for a while. Seems like probably the most bang-for-buck wildlife lens you can get. But I have the Pentax DA*300 so I am leaning toward getting a zoom instead. My Dad has the Tamron 150-600 (original, not G2 version) on the way for his D7200 so I figure I'll play with that before making up my mind. Judging by photos on Flickr it seems plenty sharp if you back off from 600 a touch, and definitely if you can stop down from wide open. Naturally the Nikon 300 is sharp wide open, and lets in more light to boot. Gotta love a 300 prime!

Quote from KankRat on January 28, 2024, 4:19 pm

LOL. Autocorrect changed "Tamron" to 'Tampon".  

lol, Autoincorrect strikes again

Looking at my two pics. The woodpecker has what looks like a tiny bit of motion blur on the head.  The sparrow is tack sharp.  you can see eyelashes and a reflection of the background in its eyes. that's really sharp.  I am very close, we will see how she works far away.  to be continued. 

First two are with K-3iii & DA*300. I was out there for birds but had to settle for interesting branch shapes lol. A little bit of snow really livens things up in the woods.

IMGP7137 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP7184 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

Next three are with my D300 & 50mm f/1.8.

_GKA5008 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

_GKA5010 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

_GKA5051 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

James Warner and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruce

Pentax 6x7Blad, aka 35mm adapter and viewfinder mask. I shot a roll of Fuji Acros II through it and it's so fun to see the sprocket holes exposed.  

Isolated by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Henderson Station Elevator by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Farmstead by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Farm by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Barn Fatigue by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Henderson Station Grain Elevator by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Ney Road by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

James Warner, KankRat and JBP have reacted to this post.
James WarnerKankRatJBP
Quote from SpruceBruce on January 28, 2024, 9:51 pm

Pentax 6x7Blad, aka 35mm adapter and viewfinder mask. I shot a roll of Fuji Acros II through it and it's so fun to see the sprocket holes exposed.  

Isolated by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Henderson Station Elevator by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Farmstead by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Farm by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Barn Fatigue by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Henderson Station Grain Elevator by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Ney Road by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

I love these!!

K3iii & 100mm macro. The bug was a wonderful little accident
 IMGP7951 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

I don't remember if this was intentional or not, but I like it. D300 & 50mm

_GKA4926 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr