Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Share your January Photos (2024)

PreviousPage 3 of 4Next

My son wraslin in horrible lighting, no seriously gyms suck.  Took this with the 810 and this edition of the 70-200mm 2.8. Review from the Rock.  https://kenrockwell.com/nikon/70200vr.htm

A stunningly beautiful lens. Check out the little gold plaque. What you see here is ISO 10,000, 1/500 on the D810. It's wide open at 200 and 2.8. I lightened it by .28.  Straightened and cropped from the sides to 8x10 ratio.  No NR or sharpening. 

Please feel free to chime in here...One thing I notice about this lens is that on the camera LCD, particularly in outdoors in good lighting, there is something going on where images look REALLY contrasty and saturated.  I have some descent Nikon glass in my collection, but there is something about this lens that if you gave me the Pepsi challenge (clue to how freaking old I am )  I think I could pick it out.  

Uploaded files:
  • DSC4076.jpg
SpruceBruce, JBP and Gideon Liddiard Photography have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceJBPGideon Liddiard Photography
Quote from JBP on January 19, 2024, 12:33 am
Quote from Gideon Liddiard Photography on January 19, 2024, 12:02 am

First edited shots from a gig I photographed this evening.

Great work! I always enjoy your gig photos. They helped me decide to up a GX7 last month. That camera really delivers! 🙂

Many thanks, have some more to post soon from another gig last Friday.

Quote from KankRat on January 20, 2024, 10:30 pm
Quote from Gideon Liddiard Photography on January 19, 2024, 12:02 am

First edited shots from a gig I photographed this evening.

These were shot with the Olympus??  What noise reduction? 

The first one is my Lumix GX-7, the rest are all from my Olympus E-M1 MkII, noise reduction is just the standard LRc NR (not the AI one), all sort RAW and then edited. 

They look really good.  If you told me they were shot with full frame I would have believed you. 

Gideon Liddiard Photography has reacted to this post.
Gideon Liddiard Photography
Quote from KankRat on January 22, 2024, 5:35 pm

They look really good.  If you told me they were shot with full frame I would have believed you. 

Thanks, I honestly have to say that I often think people underestimate M43 far too much (not saying you do). I've exhibited work shot on M43 at A2 without issue or concerns about he quality or resolution. 

Here are a few more from a gig on Friday.

KankRat, SpruceBruce and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
KankRatSpruceBrucekcphotogeekOutspaceKat

When someone wants their pup cup, they don't sit still very well.

Uploaded files:
  • snap-pupcup.jpg
SpruceBruce, kcphotogeek and JBP have reacted to this post.
SpruceBrucekcphotogeekJBP
Quote from KankRat on January 21, 2024, 12:05 am

My son wraslin in horrible lighting, no seriously gyms suck.  Took this with the 810 and this edition of the 70-200mm 2.8. Review from the Rock.  https://kenrockwell.com/nikon/70200vr.htm

A stunningly beautiful lens. Check out the little gold plaque. What you see here is ISO 10,000, 1/500 on the D810. It's wide open at 200 and 2.8. I lightened it by .28.  Straightened and cropped from the sides to 8x10 ratio.  No NR or sharpening. 

Please feel free to chime in here...One thing I notice about this lens is that on the camera LCD, particularly in outdoors in good lighting, there is something going on where images look REALLY contrasty and saturated.  I have some descent Nikon glass in my collection, but there is something about this lens that if you gave me the Pepsi challenge (clue to how freaking old I am )  I think I could pick it out.  

Nice! I haven't photographed in a gym before but the more I photograph various indoor locations I totally get it. It's never as bright as you think it is indoors because of the way our eyes adjust. Plus the weird color temp the lights often have, and the high ceiling, etc. That lens is a looker! Nikon makes some beautiful lenses... you just want to hold 'em.

Quote from Gideon Liddiard Photography on January 23, 2024, 9:08 pm
Quote from KankRat on January 22, 2024, 5:35 pm

Thanks, I honestly have to say that I often think people underestimate M43 far too much (not saying you do). I've exhibited work shot on M43 at A2 without issue or concerns about he quality or resolution. 

Here are a few more from a gig on Friday.

Wow, another great set. Perfect! I agree, MFT is definitely underestimated.

Quote from OutspaceKat on January 26, 2024, 10:21 pm

When someone wants their pup cup, they don't sit still very well.

Cute!

With K-3iii & 35mm macro
 IMGP6581 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

The rest are with Lumix GX7 & 20mm f/1.7.
 P1020529 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

P1020628 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

P1020634 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

KankRat, SpruceBruce and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
KankRatSpruceBrucekcphotogeekOutspaceKat

My new to me Samsung GX-10 aka a Pentax K10D body with Samsung touches.  Shot these late at night in Duluth, MN

Icy rest by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Xmas Tug by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Tug Cabin by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Duluth Aerial Liftbridge by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Aerial Liftbridge and Lighthouse by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

North Lighthouse Pier Duluth by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Grandma's Saloon by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Love Creamery by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Canal Park Alley by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Green Mill by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

KankRat and kcphotogeek have reacted to this post.
KankRatkcphotogeek
Quote from SpruceBruce on January 27, 2024, 2:38 am

My new to me Samsung GX-10 aka a Pentax K10D body with Samsung touches.  Shot these late at night in Duluth, MN

these look great 

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Kieran
Quote from SpruceBruce on January 27, 2024, 2:38 am

Icy rest by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Xmas Tug by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Tug Cabin by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Duluth Aerial Liftbridge by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Aerial Liftbridge and Lighthouse by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

North Lighthouse Pier Duluth by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Grandma's Saloon by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Love Creamery by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Canal Park Alley by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Green Mill by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

These are all so good!! I am always astonished by not only the colors but the amount of detail these old cameras provide. I can see the peeling paint inside the tug boat... amazing. You must have felt great that night to go home with so many great shots.

Some shots with my K-3iii & Helios 44k-4, which I don't use nearly enough. No super swirly shots here, but I like the photos it takes even when you're not getting a bokeh bonanza.

IMGP6907 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP6917 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP6958 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP6969 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP6984 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP7004 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP7007 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

KankRat and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
KankRatSpruceBruce

Playing with gear and software:

I am trying to test my new "lightweight" lens combo, the 300f4  with the 1.4 TC. (420mm f5.6).  In the Nikon world this lens combo was the gold standard for budget wildlife glass that the tampon and sigma 150-600 was judged agains.  I notice a degrade in AF indoors, which you would expect given it's letting in half the amount of light.  it is said (on the internet) that the 1.4 hardly degrades the IQ. I have the 1.7 TC also and I notice it's not quite as sharp as the naked lens.  By itself the 300f4 is the fastest AF of any lens I have and the sharpness is off the charts. 

so far it looks pretty sharp and the AF speed outdoors even gloomy, cloudy weather is pretty good.  I think it's as good maybe faster than the 200-500mm.  No VR though. 

Excuse the feeder shots. These are just for tests purposes. I think they look pretty good, considering in order to use a 1/2000 shutter speed wide open at 5.6 I am resorting to ridiculous ISO values. 18000 (not 1800) and 22,800!. More impressive than the lens is how the DXO Mark software renders these.  Even "Deep Prime" shows only a bit better feather detail than "Prime".  No other edits in LR.  First edit is Deep Prime second is Prime. 

Uploaded files:
  • DSC_5099-NEF_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpg
  • DSC_5099-NEF_DxO_PRIME.jpg
  • DSC_5085-NEF_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpg
  • DSC_5085-NEF_DxO_PRIME.jpg
JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP
PreviousPage 3 of 4Next