Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Share your January Photos (2024)

PreviousPage 2 of 4Next
Quote from James Warner on January 9, 2024, 5:14 pm
Quote from photography.cory on January 7, 2024, 10:49 pm

Went on a photowalk with my 1D mk2 yesterday. I really noticed during my comparison test that the camera has those nice yellowish greens and color rending that looks CCD-like to me. So I went out thinking about color:

MAK_7295 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

MAK_7268 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

MAK_7265 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

MAK_7257 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

MAK_7255 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

MAK_7271 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

MAK_7274 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

MAK_7302 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

Despite being a camera from 2008, the raws were very easy to edit and I felt like they had more flexibility than my Foveon files. I don't know if that is an indictment of Foveon, or praise for this camera lol, but either way it was very pleasant to edit. 8mp was absolutely no problem either but the camera itself was a big adjustment. I'm not sure if it's just old or part of using a 'pro' level camera, but the interface and controls seemed obtuse to the point of hostility. My thought it that maybe it's designed with weather-sealing and preventing accidental settings changes as higher priorities than ease-of-use, but it some adjustment either way. Overall a lot of fun to use and I think I'll be keeping the mk2 and the mk4 instead of returning the mk2, like I initially planned. 

I really like that chalk shot especially! I still have yet to dive into old Canon land much, but it sounds like a keeper. You have more experience with Foveon than me, but I've always felt like those cameras really shined best when you get as close as you can to what you want in-camera. There's still flexibility in the files (especially the later cameras) but I just find them harder to edit without colors changing on me and looking off. Some of these older CCD/CMOS sensors are really surprising what you can pull back from the file.

In the same way, you have more experience with older sensors than I do lol, so I'll defer to you on that. But at least in this example I'm extremely happy with it. It probably also helps that these cameras have the larger APS-H sensors, which I thought was an interesting quirk I wanted to check out. The 1D series are the only attempt that I know of to use the sensor size aside from the SD Quattro H. Honestly I think I'll always be impressed by highlight recovery when Foveon cameras are my baseline lol. I definitely agree with you in that you want to try to shoot as close to final in camera as possible, especially with regard to the highlights. It feels like with Foveon files you can move the exposure point around quite a bit with respect to the midtones and shadow recovery is good, but the highlights can never be recovered in a meaningful way and the color, particularly reds, pinks, and oranges tend to be very brittle.

"The Divine and Holy Light of the Church of Whataburger"

Uploaded files:
  • thedivineandholylightofthechurchofwhataburger.jpg
James Warner, JBP and Gideon Liddiard Photography have reacted to this post.
James WarnerJBPGideon Liddiard Photography

Well, we've been either sick or snowed in for several weeks so it's been a bit of a drag. I did get to go out a few times and snap pictures, mostly of family stuff, but there's some other stuff in there too.

Kodak DCS 760 + Nikon 50mm f1.8 D

Winter Tree by Snappiness, on Flickr

Park bench by Snappiness, on Flickr

Path in snow by Snappiness, on Flickr

Back to shoveling snow... Hope everyone's winter is going well so far!

SpruceBruce, JBP and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceJBPGideon Liddiard PhotographyOutspaceKatCory Maben
Happy snappin' 🙂

So I've tried CF cards with my F828, but they're all big cards, 32gig+, and they keep giving me issues around "access". I thought I did not get this photo, but thankfully, it was taken and with the RAW to boot.

Uploaded files:
  • snap-cbured.jpg
James Warner, SpruceBruce and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruceJBPGideon Liddiard Photography

We have been spoiled here in Northern Illinois with an unseasonably mild winter.  That all ended last week, with two midweek substantial storms, particularly Friday.  Being a long distance commuter- 80 miles a day (round trip) thru what can be horrible traffic.  I dread midweek weather occurences. It once took me almost me almost 5 hours to get home. 

This morning at sunrise it was -9 degrees F.  I basically was driving all our cars around so they start later today. 

Brought the D810 out with the 60mm 2.8 D micro.  Recently purchased that one from KEH for like.. $160.  Looks like it was never used.  it's supposed to be crazy sharp.  I haven't really put it thru its paces yet. 

Black specks in the right and left corners are bald eagles.  I should have stayed longer but I was freezing.  On the way home there was a rainbow surrounding the sun. unfortunately ugly cityscape and no where to pull over. 

Uploaded files:
  • 011424-Saganashkee-Sunrise.jpg
James Warner, SpruceBruce and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruceJBPGideon Liddiard PhotographyOutspaceKat

Female purple Finch. D7200 w 200-500 @ 500 wide open @ 5.6.  Pretty sharp. 

Uploaded files:
  • female-purple-finch.jpg
James Warner, SpruceBruce and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruceJBPGideon Liddiard Photography

With Helios 44k-4 and K-3iii. Bit of swirl going on but you have to zoom in to see it.

IMGP6476 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

DA*300 and K-3iii
 IMGP6536 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

GX7 & 20mm. A tree fell across my parents' driveway. I was hoping to move it out of the way with my Jeep but my Dad made short work of it with his chainsaw. I haven't taken many photos outside with the GX7 yet so this was fun. I've been mostly using it as my kiddo camera indoors. I enjoy the focal length for that (40mm equiv).
 P1020349 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

SpruceBruce, Gideon Liddiard Photography and OutspaceKat have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceGideon Liddiard PhotographyOutspaceKat

First edited shots from a gig I photographed this evening.

KankRat, SpruceBruce and JBP have reacted to this post.
KankRatSpruceBruceJBP
Quote from Gideon Liddiard Photography on January 19, 2024, 12:02 am

Great work! I always enjoy your gig photos. They helped me decide to up a GX7 last month. That camera really delivers! 🙂

Gideon Liddiard Photography has reacted to this post.
Gideon Liddiard Photography
Quote from Gideon Liddiard Photography on January 19, 2024, 12:02 am

These were shot with the Olympus??  What noise reduction? 

Gideon Liddiard Photography has reacted to this post.
Gideon Liddiard Photography
PreviousPage 2 of 4Next