Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Share your January Photos! (2022!)

PreviousPage 5 of 9Next
Quote from KankRat on January 16, 2022, 3:52 pm

RTH by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

Beautiful bird. We do these red shouldered hawks in my woods quite frequently. Because of time and family constraints, I shoot birds almost exclusively while exercising on my mountain bike in the morning before work in these woods. In fact, that's what inspired me to start trying to photograph wildlife. Make the most of what you have 🙂

The Pentax K3III is treating me well. Still wish I had more time to use it, but should see some good use in the coming weeks. We went as a family to a wildlife refuge for a walk and I saw an American Kestrel for the first time (I'm pretty sure that's what it is). Tight crop. Wasn't able to capture much else as I was carrying a kid on my shoulders, and another tugging at my pants every minute or so 🙂

Quote from JBP on January 18, 2022, 4:08 pm

We had a heavy snowfall (12"+) Sunday night and Monday morning which made for interesting travel conditions (I had to drive my wife to work, a fun adventure for us) and great photograph opportunities. Unfortunately I did not have a chance to get out there and really photograph anything, but I was able to snap a few shots on the way home from picking up my wife.

One nice thing about conditions like this is there are not many other vehicles on the road, which affords one the time to stop and take a quick photo, whereas normally I would simply have to say "gee, that would be a nice photo" and move on. Still, I had to hurry and I consider these mostly documentation photos...as I drive away I always think of what I would have done differently given the time.

That's a TON of snow! There is something beautiful about a fresh layer of snow, even if it does bring driving hazards and inconveniences 🙂 Nice captures.

When I went out with my family this weekend I also took my Ricoh GXR with the M module. I adapted a Pentax Auto 110 18mm f2.8 to it and a Vivitar 28mm f2.5 M42 lens. Good fun.

Auto 110 18mm f2.8

Taking a break by Snappiness, on Flickr

Vivitar 28mm f2.5

Out on a walk by Snappiness, on Flickr

SpruceBruce, Gawad and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceGawaddenniscrommettJBPLaurens
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from JBP on January 18, 2022, 4:08 pm

We had a heavy snowfall (12"+) Sunday night and Monday morning which made for interesting travel conditions (I had to drive my wife to work, a fun adventure for us) and great photograph opportunities. Unfortunately I did not have a chance to get out there and really photograph anything, but I was able to snap a few shots on the way home from picking up my wife.

One nice thing about conditions like this is there are not many other vehicles on the road, which affords one the time to stop and take a quick photo, whereas normally I would simply have to say "gee, that would be a nice photo" and move on. Still, I had to hurry and I consider these mostly documentation photos...as I drive away I always think of what I would have done differently given the time.

These are great, and I can really relate to when you say that you "normally would simply have to say 'gee, that would be a nice photo' and move on." I think that so often too, and then am faced with the fact that, well, there isn't really anywhere to pull over, or that's private property... a snowstorm seems like a good excuse to stop and get those photos. Really nice @jbp. Seems like where you live has some similarities to where I live (western MA, not quite in the Berkshires but close).

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP
Quote from denniscrommett on January 10, 2022, 12:16 am

Happy New Year! Great to see all these great photos. Here are a few from my new year's day walk at a place called Fitzgerald Lake here in western MA. Shot with Fujifilm X100F.

Cinematic!

I have a X100S. At some point I'd like to upgrade to a version with better AF. But apart from that, great little camera.

denniscrommett has reacted to this post.
denniscrommett
Quote from denniscrommett on January 19, 2022, 3:09 am

These are great, and I can really relate to when you say that you "normally would simply have to say 'gee, that would be a nice photo' and move on." I think that so often too, and then am faced with the fact that, well, there isn't really anywhere to pull over, or that's private property... a snowstorm seems like a good excuse to stop and get those photos. Really nice @jbp. Seems like where you live has some similarities to where I live (western MA, not quite in the Berkshires but close).

Thank you! I am always inspired to get out and take photos in the winter time because it's easier to get those shots we see from the road, and because everything looks so different and beautiful with the snow. And winter hikes are my favorite... no bugs, and it's very difficult (though not impossible...) to get poison ivy - the bane of my existence.

Here's another from that same day. I wish I had framed it better, the view I really wanted was from the street, but this street was one of the few which had been plowed at that point and was seeing steady use, and I was in a hurry. I thought all the ice cream advertisements were humorous given the conditions. Soft serve in a blizzard, anyone?

Uploaded files:
  • IMGP8775.jpg
James Warner, Justin Tung and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerJustin TungSpruceBruceGawaddenniscrommett

Shots from the Metropolitan Museum of Art

Personally I really like these shots, but I struggled with low light a lot more than I'd hoped. Although this camera is way better than every camera I've had when it comes to low light (especially with IBIS), there were still some rooms that were straight up dark, and I ended up having to rely on ISO more than I wanted

But for the most part, it was a great time.

SpruceBruce, Gawad and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceGawaddenniscrommettJBP
Ever striving for minimum competency

Really great captures, Justin. The composition is just great. I really like that the photos convey the feeling of being there rather than closeups of each piece (as cool as those are too). What camera and lens were you using?

Justin Tung has reacted to this post.
Justin Tung

I got to take some proper pictures of the epic snowfall we had over the weekend. I want to take some landscape shots, but I didn't have time for that. I did get to play in a nearby stream, though. It was impromptu and I didn't have my tripod on me, but by golly I wanted to make the water smooth. I managed to get a handheld (while kneeling holding the camera JUST above the water's surface) shot of reasonable sharpness at 135mm and... 1/6s. Thank you, Pentax shake reduction!

The icicles are on the roof of my house... I had a vehicle parked under them. No more...

IMGP9449 by Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP9737 by Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP9684 by Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP9583 by Mobusaki, on Flickr

Justin Tung, SpruceBruce and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
Justin TungSpruceBruceGawaddenniscrommett
Quote from JBP on January 20, 2022, 2:27 am

I got to take some proper pictures of the epic snowfall we had over the weekend. I want to take some landscape shots, but I didn't have time for that. I did get to play in a nearby stream, though. It was impromptu and I didn't have my tripod on me, but by golly I wanted to make the water smooth. I managed to get a handheld (while kneeling holding the camera JUST above the water's surface) shot of reasonable sharpness at 135mm and... 1/6s. Thank you, Pentax shake reduction!

The icicles are on the roof of my house... I had a vehicle parked under them. No more...

IMGP9449 by Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP9737 by Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP9684 by Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP9583 by Mobusaki, on Flickr

These are great, and are inspiring me to take more detail shots of things. Thanks for the inspiration!

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP

Wow @justintung, those photos of the Met are beautiful! I believe I know that room with the pool and the tall windows; vast and eerie and fascinating. So cool!

Justin Tung has reacted to this post.
Justin Tung
Quote from JBP on January 19, 2022, 7:35 pm

Really great captures, Justin. The composition is just great. I really like that the photos convey the feeling of being there rather than closeups of each piece (as cool as those are too). What camera and lens were you using?

Thank you! This is the Sony A7ii with the 40mm f/2.5 lens

Quote from denniscrommett on January 20, 2022, 3:54 am

Wow @justintung, those photos of the Met are beautiful! I believe I know that room with the pool and the tall windows; vast and eerie and fascinating. So cool!

Thanks! Yeah, that's the giant hall with the Egyptian Temple of Dendur in it. Quite spectacular, and always a go-to when I want a break from walking.

denniscrommett and JBP have reacted to this post.
denniscrommettJBP
Ever striving for minimum competency
PreviousPage 5 of 9Next