Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Share your February Photos (2024)

PreviousPage 4 of 5Next
Quote from KankRat on February 22, 2024, 6:13 pm
Quote from James Warner on February 21, 2024, 11:02 pm
Quote from KankRat on February 19, 2024, 4:25 pm

A short-eared owl on a snowy afternoon in a grassland preserve outside of Chicago.  Although it's pretty far from being sharp, I think it really shows the habitat these guys prefer. 

Short Earerd Owl by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

I love this shot. Close up shots are always cool, but this environment shots feel really natural. A mix of landscape/wildlife. Great capture! I'm missing my owls. 

Thanks.  I agree.  It's also something ignored by a lot of wildlife photographers.  I would have liked to capture the falling snow a little better but I think the issue is most of it is oof. 

An older gentleman at the owl spot who was sitting in a chair with his camera pointed this situation out. I grabbed a shot too. 

I call it "Near Miss" ... only about 240 million miles. 

Awesome shot!

Quote from KankRat on February 22, 2024, 6:14 pm

I see JPB has 28-105 and James has 35-105 Nikkor.  Do you guys like them? 

I feel like it's one of the better zoom lenses I've used. Sharp, versatile, and good rendering.

Some more eagles from last weekend. First one is DA*60-250 w/1.4x teleconverter and the rest are DA*300 with 1.4x teleconverter.

IMGP2535 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP2709 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP2712 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP2733 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

SpruceBruce and Cory Maben have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceCory Maben

Been doing a lot of experimenting and shooting around with the SD Quattro. I am particularly happy with the night shots I got last night. I feel like the way the Foveon sensor takes night images looks really uniquely accurate to the eye:

SDIM1278 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

SDIM1281 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

SDIM1295 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

SDIM1305 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

SDIM1322 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

SDIM1330 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

SDIM1334 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

SDIM1346 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

SDIM1353 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

SDIM1360 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

SpruceBruce, kcphotogeek and JBP have reacted to this post.
SpruceBrucekcphotogeekJBP
Quote from JBP on February 23, 2024, 12:10 am

A short-eared owl on a snowy afternoon in a grassland preserve outside of Chicago.  Although it's pretty far from being sharp, I think it really shows the habitat these guys prefer. 

I love this shot. Close up shots are always cool, but this environment shots feel really natural. A mix of landscape/wildlife. Great capture! I'm missing my owls. 

Thanks.  I agree.  It's also something ignored by a lot of wildlife photographers.  I would have liked to capture the falling snow a little better but I think the issue is most of it is oof. 

An older gentleman at the owl spot who was sitting in a chair with his camera pointed this situation out. I grabbed a shot too. 

Awesome shot!

I feel like it's one of the better zoom lenses I've used. Sharp, versatile, and good rendering.

Some more eagles from last weekend. First one is DA*60-250 w/1.4x teleconverter and the rest are DA*300 with 1.4x teleconverter.

I really like the shot of the two eagles fighting with the tree underneath them, such a cool shot. It must have felt great to take.

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP

Chickadee by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Tin Barn by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

SG103201 by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Some misc Samsung GX-10 Shots over the last few months I finally got around to editing.

Roots - Hoh Rainforest by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Arch Tree by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Towering Giants Hoh Rainforest by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Some shots from the Hoh Rainforest in Olympic National Park on the K1/Spiratone 20mm F2.8

An Eagle on the beaches of Neah Bay, K1 & DA* 300mm F4

Beach Eagle by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Rainy Bald Eagle by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

kcphotogeek, JBP and Cory Maben have reacted to this post.
kcphotogeekJBPCory Maben
Quote from photography.cory on February 23, 2024, 11:50 pm
Quote from JBP on February 23, 2024, 12:10 am

Awesome shot!

I really like the shot of the two eagles fighting with the tree underneath them, such a cool shot. It must have felt great to take.

Thank you, it did! That was a great day. I hope the eagles stick around. We've always had them there but not so many for so long.

Quote from SpruceBruce on February 24, 2024, 6:09 am

Tin Barn by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

SG103201 by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Some misc Samsung GX-10 Shots over the last few months I finally got around to editing.

Roots - Hoh Rainforest by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Arch Tree by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Towering Giants Hoh Rainforest by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Some shots from the Hoh Rainforest in Olympic National Park on the K1/Spiratone 20mm F2.8

An Eagle on the beaches of Neah Bay, K1 & DA* 300mm F4

Beach Eagle by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Rainy Bald Eagle by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Fantastic! I love the forest shots, feels like an alien planet to me. Sad to think that was the norm until we harvested most of it. And you know I'm a sucker for eagle photos! I love the environment included in those two shots, really elevates any wildlife shot IMO.

Those eagles are still around at the local reservoir. There are ~12 of them all in one small area so there are many more opportunities for photographs. Typically you wait and hope to get lucky with one flying over, once. I even got some shots of them plucking fish out of the water, but unfortunately I blew the highlights on those. I'm getting better at this, though, slowly!

Here's one of my favorites from Saturday, and a close up from Sunday.

K-3iii and DA*300 + 1.4x tele. This lens is so sharp that, when you nail focus (which I'm not sure I've done here but still) you can crop a *lot* which has me thinking maybe this is all I'll ever need for wildlife after all.
Edit: Actually, I think this shot is in focus but I was shivering at that point and I think there's a little bit of motion blur even at the high shutter speed. The wind was brutal that day.
 IMGP3759 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

K-5iis and 35mm macro.
 IMGP3186 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

SpruceBruce, kcphotogeek and Cory Maben have reacted to this post.
SpruceBrucekcphotogeekCory Maben
Quote from SpruceBruce on February 24, 2024, 6:09 am

These are great, my finger did hover over the bid button for a Samsung GX10 last year

Kieran
Quote from JBP on February 26, 2024, 1:25 pm

K-3iii and DA*300 + 1.4x tele. This lens is so sharp that, when you nail focus (which I'm not sure I've done here but still) you can crop a *lot* which has me thinking maybe this is all I'll ever need for wildlife after all.
Edit: Actually, I think this shot is in focus but I was shivering at that point and I think there's a little bit of motion blur even at the high shutter speed. The wind was brutal that day.

K-5iis and 35mm macro.

Great shots, which 35mm Macro do you have green or red ring?

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP
Kieran

Some IR photos from today all taken with the Ricoh GXR S10 IR converted

Uploaded files:
  • GXRS10IR022624-013.jpg
  • GXRS10IR022624-015.jpg
  • GXRS10IR022624-024.jpg
  • GXRS10IR022624-025.jpg
  • GXRS10IR022624-032.jpg
SpruceBruce, JBP and Cory Maben have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceJBPCory Maben
Kieran
Quote from kcphotogeek on February 26, 2024, 2:23 pm
Quote from JBP on February 26, 2024, 1:25 pm

K-5iis and 35mm macro.

Great shots, which 35mm Macro do you have green or red ring?

Thanks! It's the Green ring. I had the red but the starbursts aren't as nice and I really like those.  Plus my other Ltd are green and I wanted a matching set. Silly, I know. 😄

Quote from kcphotogeek on February 26, 2024, 2:26 pm

Some IR photos from today all taken with the Ricoh GXR S10 IR converted

These are great!! Makes me want to get out with my IR cam.

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce

A recent fun acquisition I found from a retired artist and studio photographer. A Kodak DCS Pro 14N, early full frame in all its glory.  It renders highlights very lovely.  Nikon 70-210 AF D F4.5 Push Pull Lens.  Shadow recovery is terrible.

Sunset Reflection by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Dark Barn by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Sunset Farm by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Decaying by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

kcphotogeek and Cory Maben have reacted to this post.
kcphotogeekCory Maben
PreviousPage 4 of 5Next