Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Share Your February Photos! (2022)

PreviousPage 4 of 13Next
Quote from Snappy on February 8, 2022, 10:57 pm

Posted this on my insta for people to guess the camera. You can click through to see the answer xD

What's cool is how much dynamic range it has in this situation. It's an edited JPEG, pretty sure I can't shoot RAW on it (or haven't figured out how). Supposedly, part of this dynamic range comes from the CYGM color filter array, which a few Canon and Nikon cameras had in the early 2000s. You get a loss of color accuracy at the benefit of letting more light into the sensor. Interesting stuff.

Cloudy Sunrise by Snappiness, on Flickr

So are the colors a tad more muted, and you retain better highlights and contrast as a result?  Very cool landscape BTW!

Edit:  Didn't you post this little cool camera on Youtube shorts the other day?

Quote from SpruceBruce on February 8, 2022, 11:59 pm
Quote from Snappy on February 8, 2022, 10:57 pm

Posted this on my insta for people to guess the camera. You can click through to see the answer xD

What's cool is how much dynamic range it has in this situation. It's an edited JPEG, pretty sure I can't shoot RAW on it (or haven't figured out how). Supposedly, part of this dynamic range comes from the CYGM color filter array, which a few Canon and Nikon cameras had in the early 2000s. You get a loss of color accuracy at the benefit of letting more light into the sensor. Interesting stuff.

Cloudy Sunrise by Snappiness, on Flickr

So are the colors a tad more muted, and you retain better highlights and contrast as a result?  Very cool landscape BTW!

Edit:  Didn't you post this little cool camera on Youtube shorts the other day?

I'll be honest, I don't totally understand how it works but there's an explanation on wikipedia someone wrote up: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CYGM_filter

And an article at DPReview from an early camera using a similar technique:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/kodakdcs620x/

It just sounds like by using these simpler colors it's filtering out less light. Which sort of makes sense looking at a visible light spectrum. But it's still over my pay grade. xD

Yes! That's the camera I had in my shorts. I'll make a real video about it one day.

SpruceBruce and ahoyhere have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceahoyhere
Happy snappin' 🙂

Went out around sunset yesterday with the K-1 and the Helios 44K-4. I don't think I got anything ground-breaking, however, I did get some fun stuff. Some really interesting flares, some tight, detailed focus shots.

Flare by Alec Heggen, on Flickr

Row II by Alec Heggen, on Flickr

Afternoon Light by Alec Heggen, on Flickr

For the money, at f5.6 and up, this might be the sharpest lens under $100. That's only my opinion though, you decide!

SpruceBruce, denniscrommett and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
SpruceBrucedenniscrommettJBPahoyhere

The first shot was taken at f2.8, the other two were shot around f8, it's plausible that it was at the half-stop between 5.6 and 8 as well. This lens has half-stops the whole way around the aperture ring.

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP

Love it! I love the tack-sharp subjects with "dreamy", interesting backgrounds. That's my favorite kind of photograph. I immediately started searching for that lens to buy, and I don't think I've ever wanted a K-1 more... GAS is a constant struggle.

Zooming in on the fence post I can see little specs of moss that I couldn't see zoomed out. I can see that the screw on the lantern is a flathead type. haha So much detail, awesome.

HeggenDazs and denniscrommett have reacted to this post.
HeggenDazsdenniscrommett

@jbp I highly recommend the Helios 44K-4 if you're looking for a 50ish-mm film era manual lens. It is really quite sharp. has that amazing swirly bokeh at larger apertures and captures amazing colors. The photos of the rock and leaf "Stuck" and that house "Lake Front" that I have on flickr are also taken with this lens but on the K-3.

SpruceBruce and JBP have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceJBP
Quote from HeggenDazs on February 9, 2022, 4:19 pm

@jbp I highly recommend the Helios 44K-4 if you're looking for a 50ish-mm film era manual lens. It is really quite sharp. has that amazing swirly bokeh at larger apertures and captures amazing colors. The photos of the rock and leaf "Stuck" and that house "Lake Front" that I have on flickr are also taken with this lens but on the K-3.

Awesome pics, and I agree very sharp in the center! This has been my experience with many vintage 50mm primes as well. Extremely sharp stopped down.

I will add @jbp and the lens performs well on APSC.- I think I had the 44m version. But you can still get nice swirly bokeh on APSC too. So save up for that dream K1 one day but in the meantime you could consider picking up one of these lenses for cheap and having fun with it 🙂

SpruceBruce, HeggenDazs and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceHeggenDazsdenniscrommettJBP
Happy snappin' 🙂

Oh yeah, it just jumped to the top of my list. Exciting that I can use it on my K-3!

Found one for $50 but it has some damage on the very edge of the glass. Probably wouldn't affect the image, particularly w/APS-C. Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/185226959475?hash=item2b20631a73:g:HsYAAOSwYthhnMj2&autorefresh=true

I made an offer of $40. Much excite. 🙂

Quote from JBP on February 9, 2022, 6:14 pm

Good luck 🙂 That would be a nice snag.

Here's more nothing special photos from me. It's been a weird last month for photography, but I've learned to not get too worried about producing my best stuff when I've got other things going on. Just going for a walk and taking photos can be so meditative and stress relieving. That's the joy in and of itself. You can always worry about producing your best work later. 🙂

More playing with the Sigma SD14

Stream Reflections by Snappiness, on Flickr

Fall Leaves by Snappiness, on Flickr

SpruceBruce, HeggenDazs and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceHeggenDazsdenniscrommettJBP
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from Snappy on February 10, 2022, 2:01 am
Quote from JBP on February 9, 2022, 6:14 pm

Good luck 🙂 That would be a nice snag.

Here's more nothing special photos from me. It's been a weird last month for photography, but I've learned to not get too worried about producing my best stuff when I've got other things going on. Just going for a walk and taking photos can be so meditative and stress relieving. That's the joy in and of itself. You can always worry about producing your best work later. 🙂

More playing with the Sigma SD14

Stream Reflections by Snappiness, on Flickr

Fall Leaves by Snappiness, on Flickr

Just to add to your thoughts, talking about producing your best work, versus just taking a relaxed photo walk.  Sometimes you pull off a real keeper that you weren't anticipating with no little to no planning.

PreviousPage 4 of 13Next