Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Share Your February Photos! (2022)

PreviousPage 11 of 13Next

44k-4 is that the one with swirly bokeh?

Quote from SpruceBruce on February 25, 2022, 1:11 am

@heggendazs that first shot is super cinematic!

Decided to put my LX100 up for sale, I wanted a mirrorless M43 body with interchangeable capability instead.  If anyone is interested in grabbing it, let me know.

So I picked up an Olympus E-M10 II with the 45mm F1.8, 14-42 EZ, and the 12-40 F2.8.  Wow, what a charm of a camera.  I was surprised at the autofocus on this entry level body.  Winter day hike with my pupper.

they look good.  I am kicking myself for not getting a old-5 II when they were on sale new for $600.  The 60mm macro is intriguing.

Quote from JBP on February 25, 2022, 10:10 pm
Quote from Justin Tung on February 25, 2022, 7:09 pm

Phew, been away for a while! The Petri Color 35 has fully cemented itself as a diary/everyday camera for me, but I decided to try a new film! Took some shots of the (latest) central texas winter storm on Kentmere 400.

One thing I'm learning about my workflow is about the dangers of overexposing. Traditionally with negative films, especially color negatives, film has a ton of flexibility when it comes to overexposure, with usable images several stops over.

When I meter correctly though, or even a little under... Kentmere 400 looks amazing

I'm trying to get better at guessing exposures, and most shots ended up... as pictures, which I'm happy about, since I know it's an area where I want to grow.

Overally, I think Kentmere 400 is a great film, and given my experiences and the price, I'd definitely shoot it again. One thing that puzzled me is that a lot of people compare Kentmere 400 to HP5+, another 400 speed film form Harmon Technology. A lot of people say that Kentmere is low contrast, and don't like it for that reason. But I think the contrast is fine (for Kodak D-76 1+1)! And not just fine as in "fixable in scan/post", but in that there wasn't much I feel like I needed to fix.

If anyone has had experiences with Kentmere, I'd love to hear about them!

Yeah, I think those shots look great and I wouldn't touch the contrast either. Really nicHowever, my poor Epson V600 has trouble blasting through such dense scans. I tend to get images that have chunky grain and poor dynamic range.However, my poor Epson V600 has trouble blasting through such dense scans. I tend to get images that have chunky grain and poor dynamic range.

Interesting to know about the V600.

Maybe that Nikon system is the way to go.   no 120 though.

Quote from KankRat on February 27, 2022, 12:22 am

Ughh.  With world events and the seemingly ENDLESS transition from winter to spring in the Chicago area...ever see that last surviving crust of "snow and ice crud"  It's a dark filthy grey combination, of dirt, tire rubber and brake dust and just takes pretty much forever to melt. When that stuff goes away and little bits of alien green things emerge from the ground, I feel so much better.  Some folks posted pics of skunk cabbage emerging.  That's a good sign.

Anyway here are some pics of birds, I shot today.  These are migratory species.   Most resemble other species and most people never... in million years would ever notice their presence. D7200. 300f4 1/200 wide open  big crops. low effort in post.

Tufted Titmouse by Mark Kasick, on Flickr White Throated Sparrow by Mark Kasick, on Flickr 'merican Tree Sparrow by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

I regret selling my D7200....

KankRat has reacted to this post.
KankRat
Quote from KankRat on February 27, 2022, 1:50 pm

Phew, been away for a while! The Petri Color 35 has fully cemented itself as a diary/everyday camera for me, but I decided to try a new film! Took some shots of the (latest) central texas winter storm on Kentmere 400.

One thing I'm learning about my workflow is about the dangers of overexposing. Traditionally with negative films, especially color negatives, film has a ton of flexibility when it comes to overexposure, with usable images several stops over.

When I meter correctly though, or even a little under... Kentmere 400 looks amazing

I'm trying to get better at guessing exposures, and most shots ended up... as pictures, which I'm happy about, since I know it's an area where I want to grow.

Overally, I think Kentmere 400 is a great film, and given my experiences and the price, I'd definitely shoot it again. One thing that puzzled me is that a lot of people compare Kentmere 400 to HP5+, another 400 speed film form Harmon Technology. A lot of people say that Kentmere is low contrast, and don't like it for that reason. But I think the contrast is fine (for Kodak D-76 1+1)! And not just fine as in "fixable in scan/post", but in that there wasn't much I feel like I needed to fix.

Yeah, I think those shots look great and I wouldn't touch the contrast either. Really nicHowever, my poor Epson V600 has trouble blasting through such dense scans. I tend to get images that have chunky grain and poor dynamic range.However, my poor Epson V600 has trouble blasting through such dense scans. I tend to get images that have chunky grain and poor dynamic range.

So far the V600 has treated me really well. It definitely isn't as sharp as a Nikon system, but it's a relatively small unit, and additionally to 135 and 120, I can also easily scan instax shots and other docs if I need to. For a transient mayfly of a grad student, it's a perfect fit for me right now. I've got all the stuff I need to do DSLR scanning, but honestly, It's so easy for me to just scan it in and use Silverfast.

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Ever striving for minimum competency
Quote from KankRat on February 27, 2022, 1:42 pm

44k-4 is that the one with swirly bokeh?

I'm not sure if it's the ultimate swirly bokeh Helios or not, but mine seems to have it. Super neat.

Quote from SpruceBruce on February 28, 2022, 1:57 am
Quote from KankRat on February 27, 2022, 12:22 am

Ughh.  With world events and the seemingly ENDLESS transition from winter to spring in the Chicago area...ever see that last surviving crust of "snow and ice crud"  It's a dark filthy grey combination, of dirt, tire rubber and brake dust and just takes pretty much forever to melt. When that stuff goes away and little bits of alien green things emerge from the ground, I feel so much better.  Some folks posted pics of skunk cabbage emerging.  That's a good sign.

Anyway here are some pics of birds, I shot today.  These are migratory species.   Most resemble other species and most people never... in million years would ever notice their presence. D7200. 300f4 1/200 wide open  big crops. low effort in post.

Tufted Titmouse by Mark Kasick, on Flickr White Throated Sparrow by Mark Kasick, on Flickr 'merican Tree Sparrow by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

I regret selling my D7200....

There are things about it that are flat out better than the D7000, like some subtleties in the controls. But I feel like it's a noisy camera.  My D7000 is currently broke so I can't compare.

I can tell you this, that most of what makes my pics look the way the do has to do with the 300mm f4 rather than the camera.  That lens is freaking awesome.  I wish I had the cash for the PF version.

I still have not heard from the guy rebuilding my 200-500mm.  I think I am going to get some good shots with that baby.

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Quote from Justin Tung on February 28, 2022, 3:50 am
Quote from KankRat on February 27, 2022, 1:50 pm

So far the V600 has treated me really well. It definitely isn't as sharp as a Nikon system, but it's a relatively small unit, and additionally to 135 and 120, I can also easily scan instax shots and other docs if I need to. For a transient mayfly of a grad student, it's a perfect fit for me right now. I've got all the stuff I need to do DSLR scanning, but honestly, It's so easy for me to just scan it in and use Silverfast.

We have a V800 at work (in another department) hooked up to an analytic instrument.  I am hoping the instrument outgrows the scanner so they buy  another and it ends up as junk.  But that's just wishful thinking.

I'm looking for a Polaroid camera currently to get this analog thing out of my system.

James Warner has reacted to this post.
James Warner

One wildlife shot and one infrared shot testing out my new 850nm filter shipped from China 🙂 Took a month and a half to get here, but I saved a good $10 or so 🤣

Carolina Wren Call by Snappiness, on Flickr

Infrared Path by Snappiness, on Flickr

KankRat, SpruceBruce and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
KankRatSpruceBrucedenniscrommettCarlJBP
Happy snappin' 🙂

Some COLOR for my last photo of February!! Yay!! I was super pleased to see this beautiful sunset after so many grey and dreary days.

Side note: this photo made me start a battle again that I had given up on, which is that I can't get the same colors in Lightroom that my K-3 generates in camera. Using embedded profile, couldn't get it to match the camera JPEG - not the colors, tone, anything. Oh well, guess I should just start shooting RAW + JPEG again and roll with the JPEGs more.

Also, I am always pleased with and surprised by the rendering of my 55-300 DAL, which was a budget lens even when it was new, and is super cheap now. But I did wish I had my lovely new-to-me Helios with me! I was just imagining how it would have rendered those beautiful colors...

IMG6334 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

KankRat, SpruceBruce and HeggenDazs have reacted to this post.
KankRatSpruceBruceHeggenDazs
PreviousPage 11 of 13Next