Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Share Your February Photos! (2022)

Page 1 of 13Next

I thought I'd kick off February by stealing my wife's camera for the day. It's a Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II and I'm just starting to appreciate how capable it is. Today I learned that in manual mode you can put it on auto ISO and use the front ring (around the lens) for aperture and the rear ring (around the standard flash/drive mode d-pad thing) for shutter speed and voila, my favorite mode: TAv!

And I always tell myself I don't care that my Pentax K-3 doesn't have a tilty screen, but when I use the G7 X I use it every single time...

Photo of a mint plant in our kitchen. 🙂

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_1724.jpg
Beau Carpenter, SpruceBruce and HeggenDazs have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterSpruceBruceHeggenDazs
Quote from JBP on February 1, 2022, 5:18 pm

I thought I'd kick off February by stealing my wife's camera for the day. It's a Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II and I'm just starting to appreciate how capable it is. Today I learned that in manual mode you can put it on auto ISO and use the front ring (around the lens) for aperture and the rear ring (around the standard flash/drive mode d-pad thing) for shutter speed and voila, my favorite mode: TAv!

And I always tell myself I don't care that my Pentax K-3 doesn't have a tilty screen, but when I use the G7 X I use it every single time...

Photo of a mint plant in our kitchen. 🙂

Beautiful shot and from the comfort of your kitchen! I am with you on the tilty screen. I don't realize how much I use it until I switch to a camera without one... Gah.

Thanks for kicking off our February thread 🙂

Here's one from the yard. Still haven't gotten out much but am officially out of COVID quarantine so I'll start meandering about again.

Sigma SD14 +105mm f2.8 macro

Nature by Snappiness, on Flickr

Justin Tung, Beau Carpenter and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
Justin TungBeau CarpenterSpruceBruceHeggenDazsJBPahoyhere
Happy snappin' 🙂

@jbp one of my fellow aircraft mechanic buddies uses that as his travel camera.  It punches aboves it weight so much for so a compact sensor.  I've messed with it a few times, and really enjoyed the experience!

@james-warner-b  Ufff Dah, hope you fared well better than when I fought the 'Rona.  I'm so excited for you to try out a Foveon Sensor!  I've been looking at the SD1 Merrill on eBay for a while, I like the ability to remove the IR filter so much.

James Warner and JBP have reacted to this post.
James WarnerJBP

Thanks, @james-warner-b! It was backlit and I had the camera in my pocket so I had no excuse but to take the photo lol. Backlit leaves are one of my favorite things to shoot. The colors in your photo are amazing - that Sigma seems really nice!

@sprucebruce, I need to start using it more, it's super handy and surprisingly fun. I like to "fire from the hip" with it. I got some great shots of my Dad's dog that way yesterday, all without having to kneel down like I do with my K-3. Luxury photography!

Shot JCH Streetpan 400 for the first time! I was ordering some developer from an online store, and decided to throw in a roll since the shipping price was the same anyway. There are so many people who pretend to release a new film but it just turns out to be fomapan (cough cough Ribsy). The fact that Bellamy Hunt is genuinely making a different film available to 35mm shooters is something I want to support. These were shot in the Petri Color 35 and developed in D-76 at 1+1.

I like this film a lot! It's super contrasty, but has a wide latitude and good tonal range. I mostly guessed my exposures for this roll, and I could get usable scans even though shots were over and under exposed. It also seems plenty sharp. Overall I think this a stellar film, especially if you like contrast.

James Warner, KankRat and 5 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerKankRatBeau CarpenterSpruceBruceHeggenDazsJBPahoyhere
Ever striving for minimum competency
Quote from Justin Tung on February 3, 2022, 7:57 am

Shot JCH Streetpan 400 for the first time! I was ordering some developer from an online store, and decided to throw in a roll since the shipping price was the same anyway. There are so many people who pretend to release a new film but it just turns out to be fomapan (cough cough Ribsy). The fact that Bellamy Hunt is genuinely making a different film available to 35mm shooters is something I want to support. These were shot in the Petri Color 35 and developed in D-76 at 1+1.

I like this film a lot! It's super contrasty, but has a wide latitude and good tonal range. I mostly guessed my exposures for this roll, and I could get usable scans even though shots were over and under exposed. It also seems plenty sharp. Overall I think this a stellar film, especially if you like contrast.

Great shots and it does look awesome. JCH like Japan Camera Hunter? I don't think I knew that he made a film, let alone an actual new film and not rebranded. That's incredible. Good for him.

Where did you order it from? I'm thinking of picking up the cinestill D76 (?) b&W monobath solution for some easy development of a couple rolls I'm piling up. It's extremely cheap and seems to work well for newbies like me who don't know the difference, although I've heard some people say it's not as good as other developers for reasons I can't explain 😀 The JCH Streetpan 400 seems up my speed. 400 speed b+w seems to be my favorite type of film for shooting indoor family stuff, and I like the contrasty tri-x a lot so contrast is good.

Happy snappin' 🙂

Really nice, it does seem really sharp and I like the contrast especially for more textured scenes like that. Did I spot a Razor Crest? 😁

First shot to post since my trip early January, kinda feeling the lull of winter setting in where inspiration for photos slowly crawls to a stop for me. It's difficult to find interesting stuff when you're living in a landscape of brown and white.

Thirty by Alec Heggen, on Flickr

James Warner, Beau Carpenter and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerBeau CarpenterSpruceBruceJBP

Really cool, @heggendazs. I love photography that takes an ordinary object and puts a new perspective on it.

I know what you mean about the winter time lull. The snow keeps it interesting for me, but when it melts and it's just cold and dark and wet I lose inspiration. Thankfully we've had a lot of snow recently to keep things going. I think I'm pretty easy to please in that regard. I'm happy of a photo I took today of a dead apple, just because it had some snow on top of it. 🤣

Quote from Snappy on February 3, 2022, 1:01 pm

Great shots and it does look awesome. JCH like Japan Camera Hunter? I don't think I knew that he made a film, let alone an actual new film and not rebranded. That's incredible. Good for him.

Where did you order it from? I'm thinking of picking up the cinestill D76 (?) b&W monobath solution for some easy development of a couple rolls I'm piling up. It's extremely cheap and seems to work well for newbies like me who don't know the difference, although I've heard some people say it's not as good as other developers for reasons I can't explain 😀 The JCH Streetpan 400 seems up my speed. 400 speed b+w seems to be my favorite type of film for shooting indoor family stuff, and I like the contrasty tri-x a lot so contrast is good.

I got it from Freestyle Photo! So the developer I ordered, Rodinal, can only be shipped via ground and not air, so a lot of places charge exorbitant prices, or like B&H don't even ship at all.

Personally, I'd stay away from monobaths. It seems like the results from monobaths range from mediocre to terrible haha.

Quote from JBP on February 3, 2022, 1:54 pm

Really nice, it does seem really sharp and I like the contrast especially for more textured scenes like that. Did I spot a Razor Crest? 😁

Yesss. A friend of mine got the lego kit and we put it together!

SpruceBruce and JBP have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceJBP
Ever striving for minimum competency
Page 1 of 13Next