Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Share your December Photos! (2022)

PreviousPage 4 of 5Next

A shot of some grass peeking through the snow this morning. It was only 10 degrees Farhenheit out and my knee got cold FAST kneeling in the snow. I often yearn for a tilting screen. If only Pentax KP prices would come down!

w/K-5iis and Helios. I'm finding this to be a great combo.

IMGP0560 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

EckyH has reacted to this post.
EckyH
Quote from Cory Maben on December 26, 2022, 1:19 am

Here are some of my December shots on my new SD1!

Nice! I really like the B&W image.

All photos were taken with the Olympus E3 and the 14-45 mm lens. A beautiful day at the beach in Cadzand (NL). The picture of the beach with the sea has rainbow colors. I think this is because of the splashing water and the sun shining on it. I've captured this myself so far. The E3 is a nice camera to work with.

Uploaded files:
  • AS260295-groot.jpeg
  • AS260314-groot.jpeg
  • AS260304-groot.jpeg
JBP and EckyH have reacted to this post.
JBPEckyH
Within the limits of my equipment consciously looking for painting with light.
Quote from Cory Maben on December 26, 2022, 8:32 pm
Quote from JBP on December 26, 2022, 5:43 pm
Quote from Cory Maben on December 26, 2022, 1:19 am

Here are some of my December shots on my new SD1!

Nice! I really like the B&W image.

Thanks! I really liked that one as well. I have about half of the photos from that night to go through yet, some very cool stuff in there (in my opinion). Especially since many people say foveon sensors are bad in low light, I understand what they mean, they are not technically clean images. But they are aesthetically interesting to me and it's been a real creative boon.

Quote from JBP on December 26, 2022, 5:41 pm

A shot of some grass peeking through the snow this morning. It was only 10 degrees Farhenheit out and my knee got cold FAST kneeling in the snow. I often yearn for a tilting screen. If only Pentax KP prices would come down!

w/K-5iis and Helios. I'm finding this to be a great combo.

IMGP0560 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

I've been thinking about picking up a Helios as well. I really like the bokeh on your photo it's not as swirly as I've seen in other Helios copies which I like, very even and smooth.

It may be less swirly than a lot of Helios images because it's on an APSC body. You lose a bit (a lot?) of the swirl affect shooting on a crop sensor vs full frame, since it happens at the edges. There's enough there to give unique images, but so far I've never had the super mega swirls I see from some others. Sometimes I like that and sometimes I wish there was more. ๐Ÿ™ƒ

Quote from Bart Kerste on December 26, 2022, 8:58 pm

All photos were taken with the Olympus E3 and the 14-45 mm lens. A beautiful day at the beach in Cadzand (NL). The picture of the beach with the sea has rainbow colors. I think this is because of the splashing water and the sun shining on it. I've captured this myself so far. The E3 is a nice camera to work with.

Lovely images!

Another morning with the Helios. I can't say why exactly but I think I enjoy using the Helios most in the winter time.

IMGP0567 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP0582 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP0587 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP0598 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

David Maynard, EckyH and Deleted user have reacted to this post.
David MaynardEckyHDeleted user

I've been thinking about picking up a Helios as well. I really like the bokeh on your photo it's not as swirly as I've seen in other Helios copies which I like, very even and smooth.

I knew I had a super swirly photo somewhere. This is about as much swirl as I've gotten out of it. Pretty noticeable at the top if you zoom in. https://flic.kr/p/2nzDvYo

Deleted user has reacted to this post.
Deleted user
Quote from Cory Maben on December 27, 2022, 9:50 pm
Quote from JBP on December 27, 2022, 4:12 pm

Another morning with the Helios. I can't say why exactly but I think I enjoy using the Helios most in the winter time.

Great shots! I love the one with the bird in the branches. The depth of field is perfect and the bird isolation away from the branches and against the sky is great. What body are you using the Helios on?

Quote from JBP on December 27, 2022, 5:27 pm

I knew I had a super swirly photo somewhere. This is about as much swirl as I've gotten out of it. Pretty noticeable at the top if you zoom in. https://flic.kr/p/2nzDvYo

Oh yeah, there is it. I wonder if it comes through more strongly with a more busy background? If you look at your first post, the picture with the fallen tree and the snow I can make out a very faint swirl especially in the upperย  left of the photo. I think it's worth investigating.

I've been using it on the Pentax K-5iis. I quite like it on the body. I want to try it on my K10D next - I don't think I've done that yet. I would agree with your assessment. I think the more stuff going on in the background and the more separation there is the more swirl you'll see. Of course this only happens wide open, at least with my lens. Stop down at all and it's gone.

Quote from Cory Maben on December 28, 2022, 7:07 am
Quote from JBP on December 28, 2022, 12:56 am

Great shots! I love the one with the bird in the branches. The depth of field is perfect and the bird isolation away from the branches and against the sky is great. What body are you using the Helios on?

Oh yeah, there is it. I wonder if it comes through more strongly with a more busy background? If you look at your first post, the picture with the fallen tree and the snow I can make out a very faint swirl especially in the upperย  left of the photo. I think it's worth investigating.

I've been using it on the Pentax K-5iis. I quite like it on the body. I want to try it on my K10D next - I don't think I've done that yet. I would agree with your assessment. I think the more stuff going on in the background and the more separation there is the more swirl you'll see. Of course this only happens wide open, at least with my lens. Stop down at all and it's gone.

I really like the idea of some vintage glass on a CCD. I think both of those things make a good excuse to get out and do both. Try shooting some busy backgrounds on the K10D next time you're out if you have the chance, I'd really like to see those photos. I just had an M42 adapter delivered along with a Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4. I looked at a Helios, but they are just a bit more than I'm willing to spend on one just yet.

I meant to do that this morning but I forgot to get the K10D ready to go last night. I think the results could be great! I'll have to remember to get the CCD champ ready tonight. In the meantime, here are today's shots with my K-5 and Helios.

I love shooting into the light with this lens. It brings out all its lovely quirks.

IMGP0610 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP0611 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

Quote from Cory Maben on December 28, 2022, 8:41 pm
Quote from JBP on December 28, 2022, 3:40 pm
Quote from Cory Maben on December 28, 2022, 7:07 am
Quote from JBP on December 28, 2022, 12:56 am

I really like the idea of some vintage glass on a CCD. I think both of those things make a good excuse to get out and do both. Try shooting some busy backgrounds on the K10D next time you're out if you have the chance, I'd really like to see those photos. I just had an M42 adapter delivered along with a Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4. I looked at a Helios, but they are just a bit more than I'm willing to spend on one just yet.

I meant to do that this morning but I forgot to get the K10D ready to go last night. I think the results could be great! I'll have to remember to get the CCD champ ready tonight. In the meantime, here are today's shots with my K-5 and Helios.

I love shooting into the light with this lens. It brings out all its lovely quirks.

IMGP0610 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP0611 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

Really interesting stuff going on with the background of that first photo, nice!

Thanks!

Well I took the K10d + Helios 44k-4 for a spin this morning. I wasn't able to find a shot that would bring out the swirly bokeh nature of the lens but I got one I like nonetheless. ๐Ÿ™‚

IMGP6735 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

Daniel Gonzalez, ThePrettyDamned and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
Daniel GonzalezThePrettyDamnedEckyHDeleted user
Quote from Cory Maben on December 29, 2022, 5:21 pm

That is REALLY cool, I love the way it came out. I can't tell if the leaves are hanging from a tree or floating in water. The background looks almost hand painted with a rough brush. The whole photo is very abstract and interesting. I like the bokeh effect on the needles of the branches as well.

Thank you very much! The leaves were hanging from a branch and I was shooting looking directly up at them. I was surprised how abstract it looks; a feeling I have often with this lens. Very fun. ๐Ÿ™‚

PreviousPage 4 of 5Next