Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Share your August Photos (2023)

PreviousPage 8 of 9Next

A few from around the venue at the gig I shot last Thursday.

SpruceBruce, kcphotogeek and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
SpruceBrucekcphotogeekgroverEckyH
Quote from EckyH on August 28, 2023, 3:44 pm

To do something for my fitness and literally to broaden my perspective I started to go on bicycle rides during the lunch break.

The surprise of the day is the kit lens (DA L 3.5-5.6/18-55): CA is fairly good controlled and it is rather sharp.

E.

Yay for lunch time bike rides 🙂 a lot of my photography over the past few years is from bike rides. Combining photography with my exercise has allowed for more time for photography and some pretty cool shots!

EckyH has reacted to this post.
EckyH
Happy snappin' 🙂

two more from the lighthouse

KankRat, SpruceBruce and EckyH have reacted to this post.
KankRatSpruceBruceEckyH
Quote from nokk on August 29, 2023, 5:31 am

This one is my favourite, because the clouds are "softer" and help to emphasise the lighthouse as a work of humans. Well done!

E.

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Veni, vidi, serravi.
Quote from nokk on August 29, 2023, 5:31 am

two more from the lighthouse

Lovely tones!

More K1/DA*300 action!

Dive! by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Sneaky Red... by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Chipmunk by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

On patrol! ️ by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Downy Woodpecker by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Itching by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Bonus Minolta 7D/Vivitar 100mm F3.5 Macro Dragonfly shot too!

Blue Spotted Hawker by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

EckyH and nokk have reacted to this post.
EckyHnokk

thanks eckyh and sprucebruce.  love the chipmunk photos.

SpruceBruce

Various ones from over the weekend

SpruceBruce, grover and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
SpruceBrucegroverEckyHnokk
Quote from Gideon Liddiard Photography on August 30, 2023, 7:15 am

That 3D look. Stunning!

Could you please tell about your workflow of that image - camera setup and post processing?

E.

SpruceBruce
Veni, vidi, serravi.

This picture was taken with the Sony F828, built to the task and still working well. With 8 megapixels, you can responsibly enlarge to A4.

Uploaded files:
  • DSC00106bewerkt-2.jpeg
SpruceBruce, EckyH and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceEckyHGideon Liddiard Photographynokk
Within the limits of my equipment consciously looking for painting with light.
Quote from EckyH on August 30, 2023, 6:01 pm
Quote from Gideon Liddiard Photography on August 30, 2023, 7:15 am

That 3D look. Stunning!

Could you please tell about your workflow of that image - camera setup and post processing?

E.

No problem. The camera and lens are a Canon 5D Classic with a Canon EF 50mm f.18 II, shot at ISO 100, f9 and 1/80sec. The image was a RAW file.

The post was all done in Lightroom as follows (in workflow order), any setting not mentioned will be at default.

Basic

This was mainly about getting as much tonal range into the grey as possible, with a strong bias towards shadow detail. Texture and Clarity were ramped up higher than I would for a colour image, as B&W can take it far more than colour without looking weird (but it still needs care).

• Exposure +0.11
  • Highlights -53
  • Shadows -63
  • Whites +12
  • Blacks -65
  • Texture +21
  • Clarity +19

Tone Curve

A very slight s curve to tweak contrast up, not much at all, as both Texture and Clarity above will already be adding a good degree of contrast, curve as follows:

B&W

Quite a bit of tweaking goes on here to get the right balance and tonal range. The first five (red, orange, yellow, green, and aqua) darkened the leaves and biased the tones in them towards the darker mids and shadows. The blue did the opposite with the rain droplets, helping to give some depth and separation from the leaves. 

• Red -6
  • Orange -11
  • Yellow -13
  • Green -19
  • Aqua -17
  • Blue +3
  • Purple +9
  • Magenta +2

Color Grading

Important Lightroom 'secret' incoming. lightroom's Basic tab doesn't have an option to adjust Mid-tones, but it can be done using the Midtones option in Colour Grading. Just leave the Hue and Saturation set to zero and use the Luminance slider to adjust midtones. This is stupidly useful on almost every image and can make a major difference.

• Luminance -37

Masks

One inverted, circular gradient mask was used to draw focus to the leaf I wanted to be the central focus, as follows:

• Feather 50
  • Exposure -0.36

Detail

I always leave sharpening and noise reduction to last, as you will not know how much sharpening is needed until you have finished and the above steps can create noise, also sharpen before noise redcution as sharpening can also add noise. with sharpening the masking tool is key as it alows to ensure you only sharpen the edge details and not the whole image, reducing the amount of additional noise. In this case noise reduction was all left at default values as it wasn't needed.

Sharpening

• Amount 72
  • Radius 1.0 (default)
  • Detail 25 (default)
  • Masking 81

Noise reduction

• Luminence 0
  • Color 25 (default)
  • Detail 50 (default)
  • Smoothness 50 (default)
  •  

This was the before image

And the end result in the Lightroom panel

SpruceBruce, grover and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
SpruceBrucegroverEckyHnokk
PreviousPage 8 of 9Next