Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Share your August Photos (2023)

PreviousPage 5 of 9Next
Quote from denniscrommett on August 18, 2023, 2:02 am

@grover, those photos are great and I too love that 20mm Panasonic lens.  It's just really special. On a similar note, @enfant-soleil, lovely photos, and I think you've got all you need with the X-T10 and that great TTArtisan 27mm! Both lenses that you've done videos on of course @james-warner-b.

It kinda makes me wonder, what other lenses exist that are autofocus, under $200, and have the magic that those two do? I definitely love the Fujifilm XC 35mm f2, which barely counts at $199 new but is so great; sharp, and weirdly I think a little more contrasty than the other 35s? Could be my imagination.

Anyway, here are a couple animals. My cat, and a dog in a car, Fuji X-T1 and TTArtisan 27mm f2.8.

Does anyone else like to try to take photos out of their car windows at red lights? Could be a fun challenge thing we could start here.

when i used canon the ef 50mm f1.8 is something I really like. i wish adapters for it that could control aperture weren't so expensive.

has a special look that I really like. not very good at autofocusing and it's honestly really not very good at autofocusing in the first place.

an issue im having with tt artisan 27mm as my only lens is that it's simultaneously too zoomed in and too wide; I really miss the way the 50mm made me take photos. it was so zoomed in that i took really different pictures with it! and sometimes I just want to get as much of a scene in the frame as possible.

I've been thinking about getting a fujinon zoom lens, I've seen some on eBay for just over 100 cad which is something I can probably afford with some help. it'll also be very nice to have image stabilization! i take lots of photos at night time and I think image stabilization is a much more effective way of letting a lens get more light than just increasing the aperure! aperture size hits a hard limit at some point!

after the zoom lens, I'm thinking about getting the xc 35mm (or the ttartisan 35 1.4), although I've never used 35mm primes so I'm not sure if I'll like it. I do always feel like I always want something slightly more zoomed in than my current lens, and that would do that! the xc being 200-260 dollars is a lot for a lens I don't know if I'll like, though!

after that I'll probably safe up for the xc telephoto zoom if I can find one for "inexpensive" (still like 200-300 dollars), becuase I really love telephoto and it just doesn't make much sense to spend money good chunk of money on an adapter and worse lens for no autofocus or stabilisation. I'll probably also at some point get an adapter for our EF 50mm, although again adapter price does make me second guess and think about getting native lens.

um, anyways, I like taking pictures in interesting lighting of railway bridge lights. They are extremely bright and reflect off of everything and travel very far, and give a really awesome feeling, especially at night and while raining. i think that's kinda similar to red lights! I do really like taking pictures of everyday life a lot and trying to make it really interesting.

Went downtown Chicago yesterday for the Air Show rehearsal. It's almost the full show. Half the crowd. If you are a photographer, you want to be at north avenue beach.  I took the train to get there. My son and I walked the (Chicago) Riverwalk, which blew me away I have not been there so long. It's freaking beautiful. You guys that do street photography would love it.  Chicago is a really great city and don't let anyone tell you different.

So I got a new camera repairman locally. I had him repair the 70-200mm 2.8 and clean and calibrate the AF on the D4.  This is gear I was given by a friend.

The Ergonomics, autofocus, frame speed 10 vs 6 on the D4 and pretty much everything about it blow away my D7200...except the image quality. Well the resolution anyway.  Maybe it's the fact that I look at everything on a 32" monitor and I am just used the ultra sharp D7200 sensor. 

D4 is 16 mp FX (Nikonspeak for full frame) D7200 is 24 mp with aps-c sensor (DX). I'm no mathemagician but if you crop a 16mp FX sensor down to the 1.5X crop, it's less than 11 mp.  I am used to cropping the D7200 shots.  I think the D7200 looks better with no crop than the D4 with no crop too, other than high iso noise. d4 is good at that.  I swear just a couple days using the D4 I am totally in love with the body, even though it's massive and heavy. it just feels right with a big lens like the 200-500mm that used below. 

I really need to get a gripped D500. That will be the camera for me.

I have to say, the D4, $6000 new maybe 4 or 5 times more than the d7200, but man everything about it screams flagship. You tap on the prism cover and it feels like thick metal, because it is.  Check this out, it looks like the Terminator. 

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:2012_Nikon_D4_magnesium-alloy_frame_2012_CP%2B.jpg

Uploaded files:
  • Chi-Air-Show-2.jpg
  • Chi-Air-Show-3.jpg
  • Chi-Air-Show.jpg
SpruceBruce, grover and EckyH have reacted to this post.
SpruceBrucegroverEckyH

More from the Canon 5D Classic, honesty I may be a little besotted.

KankRat, SpruceBruce and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
KankRatSpruceBrucedenniscrommettkcphotogeekgroverEckyH

Those look great,  What am I looking at in Faux Flight?   It looks like a toucan with spectacles and a tophat flying at me at lightspeed . I wish I had taken that one.   I may have some bad dreams about that one but Jupiter and Princess will certainly come to my rescue. I love the focus exploitation. I try to do that myself .   there is just so much impact.

@kankrat  I've yet to ever visit Chicago outside of switching planes at O'Hare or Midway, one of these days I'll make the drive from Minnesota.  The D4 is fantastic, I owned the Df very briefly, that 16mp sensor inside the D4 was the same as the Df, and it's very good!

@gideon-liddiard-photography  What lens are you using? That bokeh is smooth and beautiful!

Adapted the Irix 150mm Dragonfly to M43, why yes I'll take a 300mm 1:1 Macro Lens

Dahlia Pollen by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Some Damsel and Dragonfly action from my Olympus 100-400

American Rubyspot by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Springwater Dancer by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Dusky Dancer by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Flame Skipper by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

grover, EckyH and Gideon Liddiard Photography have reacted to this post.
groverEckyHGideon Liddiard Photography

toad from mario

SpruceBruce, kcphotogeek and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
SpruceBrucekcphotogeekgroverEckyHGideon Liddiard Photography
Quote from SpruceBruce on August 20, 2023, 12:00 am

@gideon-liddiard-photography  What lens are you using? That bokeh is smooth and beautiful!

It's the Canon EF 50mm f1.8 II, one of the cheapest Canon primes you can get. I was actually worried when I bought it that it might be a bit too cheap and cheerful. I'm happy to have been proven very wrong, it's a stunning lens.

SpruceBruce and grover have reacted to this post.
SpruceBrucegrover
Quote from SpruceBruce on August 20, 2023, 12:00 am

@kankrat  I've yet to ever visit Chicago outside of switching planes at O'Hare or Midway, one of these days I'll make the drive from Minnesota.  The D4 is fantastic, I owned the Df very briefly, that 16mp sensor inside the D4 was the same as the Df, and it's very good!

its okay. but the d7200 sensor captures way more detail.  It's very noticeable. With the D4 you get more keeper shots but the keepers off the 7200 are better, especially with AI noise reduction. 

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce

T-birds landing. Was harsh lighting,

Uploaded files:
  • T-Bird-1-Gary.jpg
  • T-Bird-2-Gary.jpg
  • T-Bird-5-Gary-2.jpg
SpruceBruce, grover and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
SpruceBrucegroverEckyHnokk

Been so busy only catching up on August photos now, some of the pics posted here is epically good stuff.I bought a Fuji X-T10 with kit lens for under 200USD, I have to admit the X-Trans II sensor did bewitch me for a few days, looked at switching fully to Fuji.

But I went out with my Lumix and Sony gear subsequently and realised it was a lot of trouble to go through when the truth is I'm happy with what those cameras do for me and especially the lenses I have. I'll plum for an EM1 Mk III next as I'd like a camera that can do everything plus I don't really have a sports cam now

Below are all taken with the X-T10 w/16-50mm F3.5-5.6 II lens

Uploaded files:
  • MornTest_080523-021.jpg
  • Test_080523-006.jpg
  • Test_080523-016.jpg
  • MornTest_080523-022.jpg
  • Test_080523-002.jpg
KankRat, SpruceBruce and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
KankRatSpruceBrucedenniscrommettgroverEckyHnokk
Kieran
PreviousPage 5 of 9Next