Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Share your August Photos (2023)

PreviousPage 4 of 9Next
Quote from James Warner on August 17, 2023, 5:02 pm
Quote from grover on August 16, 2023, 5:15 pm

Not quite to the same macro standard as above, but here are a couple shots I took on a walk.

The first two are with my 20mm Lumix lens on an O-MD E-M5 II. I'm so impressed with this camera/lens combo for walking about. So versatile and compact. I only recently picked up this camera/lens because I stumbled on a good deal ( $295 USD all-in ). I love the all-metal body (they went to plastic for the mk-iii ), the flippy touch screen with tap-to-focus/shoot, the OVF, and the 20mm lens is quite sharp. I'm not giving up a lot to have a small package to walk about with.

P7220396 by Neil Grover, on Flickr

P7220409 by Neil Grover, on Flickr

This shot was with the Tamron 70-200mm on my K-1 ii. Not the best showcase out of this combo but it does do pretty well for casual on-the-fly close-ups.

IMGP4979_Export by Neil Grover, on Flickr

Oh wow, lovely shots. I do love that 20mm lens 🙂

I remember your video on the 20mm lumix lens on the GX1 ( poor mans Ricoh GR ).... it's part of the reason I bought this setup.

I have a Sony a6000 which is about the same size, lighter, and has a better sensor. But! I like using the Olympus more. The 20mm lens is awesome. Thanks for putting me onto it 😉

Gideon Liddiard Photography has reacted to this post.
Gideon Liddiard Photography
Quote from grover on August 17, 2023, 6:23 pm

Not quite to the same macro standard as above, but here are a couple shots I took on a walk.

The first two are with my 20mm Lumix lens on an O-MD E-M5 II. I'm so impressed with this camera/lens combo for walking about. So versatile and compact. I only recently picked up this camera/lens because I stumbled on a good deal ( $295 USD all-in ). I love the all-metal body (they went to plastic for the mk-iii ), the flippy touch screen with tap-to-focus/shoot, the OVF, and the 20mm lens is quite sharp. I'm not giving up a lot to have a small package to walk about with.

This shot was with the Tamron 70-200mm on my K-1 ii. Not the best showcase out of this combo but it does do pretty well for casual on-the-fly close-ups.

I remember your video on the 20mm lumix lens on the GX1 ( poor mans Ricoh GR ).... it's part of the reason I bought this setup.

I have a Sony a6000 which is about the same size, lighter, and has a better sensor. But! I like using the Olympus more. The 20mm lens is awesome. Thanks for putting me onto it 😉

The Lumix 20mm is a great lens, it pairs well with the Olympus 45mm 1.8, which is both cheap, quick and quiet in focus and has amazing image quality.

grover has reacted to this post.
grover
Quote from Gideon Liddiard Photography on August 17, 2023, 6:34 pm

The Lumix 20mm is a great lens, it pairs well with the Olympus 45mm 1.8, which is both cheap, quick and quiet in focus and has amazing image quality.

Thanks! The next lens on my list ( Olympus 45mm ). At first I thought I'd only have one micro 4/3 lens (the 20mm) but now I think I need to add the 45mm. Then that will be it. Done.     .... probably not.

denniscrommett and Gideon Liddiard Photography have reacted to this post.
denniscrommettGideon Liddiard Photography
Quote from grover on August 17, 2023, 9:38 pm
Quote from Gideon Liddiard Photography on August 17, 2023, 6:34 pm

Thanks! The next lens on my list ( Olympus 45mm ). At first I thought I'd only have one micro 4/3 lens (the 20mm) but now I think I need to add the 45mm. Then that will be it. Done.     .... probably not.

That's pretty much how I started, it didn't end that way...

meow

i think all of these are taken at 2.8. lens has really excited reaction to  bright lights.

the first photo reminds me of a video game called fragile dreams ~ farewell ruins of the moon. the game takes place in post apocalyptic, overgrown, tokyo suburbs, eternally right before sunrise and sunset, with the sliver of light beckoning the character on. that game's art direction is really inspiring for me.

the other photos, taken at night, aren't anything particularly special to me. The goal is to portray city at night and the ambience that comes with that, in addition to capture the same melancholia vibe from fragile dreams. I think I succeeded on the first one, although the second one was hard. Looking at some of the photos I'm not uploading does give me ideas for how I could execute that, though.

if you're interested, these are taken with xt10 and ttartisan 27mm 2.8 (i can't afford any other lenses). most are iso 6400, and taken in provia with shutter speeds slower than 1/20s

Uploaded files:
  • 2023_0814_19383000.jpg
  • 2023_0816_22042900.jpg
  • 2023_0816_22040900.jpg
  • 2023_0816_22052700.jpg
denniscrommett, Bart Kerste and EckyH have reacted to this post.
denniscrommettBart KersteEckyH

id like to do self portrait photography and environment photography sometime soon, but having to control everything on my own is really exhausting. it does give a lot of creative control. unfortunately i don't have enough money for the things id like to do this with, i used to have some cheap coloured rgb lights that I used for this in the past and worked well, but they've broken. not having the right lighting really feels discouraging. without lights im not entirely sure how to do what i want.

generally a fan of jsk stuff, the over the top dresses that poof out. hard to get where i live. and then some complimentary furniture and props that create a specific mood. thought about throwing the nintendo wii nunchuk in as a outfit accessory (and pretending to use it like a microphone)

denniscrommett has reacted to this post.
denniscrommett

forest photos and cat photos

there's a lot more of both of these that i don't have the energy to share

forest ones are edited in darktable and cat one is velvia.

this is specifically what i did in darktable. i actually did more than this but. exhausted to share

Uploaded files:
  • DSCF8940.jpg
  • DSCF9047_02.jpg
  • DSCF9400.JPG
SpruceBruce, denniscrommett and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
SpruceBrucedenniscrommettgroverEckyH

i actually prefer this version for the most part of the pathway; i changed colour grading a little and added some constrast between foreground and background and some bloom i think. i just dont share this version because people already say they like the other version and id prefer only sharing one version of an image when i share them.

probably would also want to make the tree photo more yellow and we did do that but over did it a little and dont like it as much as the green one. dont like the green one that much though either

Uploaded files:
  • DSCF8940_06.jpg
SpruceBruce and grover have reacted to this post.
SpruceBrucegrover

@grover, those photos are great and I too love that 20mm Panasonic lens.  It's just really special. On a similar note, @enfant-soleil, lovely photos, and I think you've got all you need with the X-T10 and that great TTArtisan 27mm! Both lenses that you've done videos on of course @james-warner-b.

It kinda makes me wonder, what other lenses exist that are autofocus, under $200, and have the magic that those two do? I definitely love the Fujifilm XC 35mm f2, which barely counts at $199 new but is so great; sharp, and weirdly I think a little more contrasty than the other 35s? Could be my imagination.

Anyway, here are a couple animals. My cat, and a dog in a car, Fuji X-T1 and TTArtisan 27mm f2.8.

Does anyone else like to try to take photos out of their car windows at red lights? Could be a fun challenge thing we could start here.

Uploaded files:
  • DSCF9044-web.jpg
  • DSCF9028-web.jpg
SpruceBruce, grover and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
SpruceBrucegroverEckyHGideon Liddiard Photographyenfant soleil

Testing out a Nikon F-601 35mm body I picked up (had an F-601 back in '91 and am slowly re-collecting all my old cameras) with my trusty AF-Nikkor 50mm f1.8 and some Lomography Color 100.

SpruceBruce, denniscrommett and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
SpruceBrucedenniscrommettgroverEckyH
PreviousPage 4 of 9Next