Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Share your August Photos (2023)

PreviousPage 2 of 9Next
Quote from Cory Maben on August 7, 2023, 9:11 am

My Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 arrived from MPB today and I took it out this evening. Here's what I got:

DSC02759 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

DSC02735 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

DSC02731-DSC02734 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

I am immediately in love with the lens. The focal length feels natural to me compared to 35mm or 50mm which I always felt a bit awkward with. The build quality is very nice and the tactile experience of it is very enjoyable and makes me wish Sony would release a body more similar to a Fuji XT series camera. I think I may have finally found the second prime in my two lens setup

The first shot is great, the orange and teal/blue colour combination always works together so well.

Fellow fan of the 40mm focal length here as well, I often slap my 20mm/1.7 on my GX-7 and go for a wander, and on a M43 it works out as 40mm. 🙂

Quote from SpruceBruce on August 6, 2023, 5:20 am

I always wanted to own a copy of the Vivitar 55mm Macro, so I found a rebadged Panagor PMC 55mm Macro F2.8, ugly rated copy from KEH last winter for $45. Luckily enough it's the smallest dust spots and fungus spot that's totally non impactful to the image quality that fetched quite the discount.  Body wise it's mint, I can't complain for the bargain price that I personally think they undervalued. Finally to end my rant, I have been shooting it lately to it's full potential, this lenses sharpness is a fever dream.  

Leaf Cutter Bee by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Upside Down! by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Green Sweat Bee by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Bumble Bee Portrait by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Long Horn Under the Petals by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

It resolves so much detail on M43, as these were all shot on the EM1X! It's just as sharp on full frame as well.  This is a photo I took back in May on the K1.  I got so lucky to hit the variety of species that are native here in Minnesota this morning! Leaf Cutter And Long Horned Bees are so beautiful and a lot rarer to find than Bumblebee's and the invasive-ish European Honeybee.  My yard is frequented by Sweat Bees more than where I had lived previously in the MSP metro and I see them more than Bumblebee's in my own wildflower garden.  They're very tiny and difficult to shoot as well.

Mason Bee, Pentax K1 Panagor 55mm PMC Macro F2.8 by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Some Olympus 100-400 action as well!

Monarch by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

White Face Meadowhawk by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Fantastic photos! What a great find. I need to plant more flowers to get in on some of this action.

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂

@corymaben You're so good at utilizing the darkspace!  I need to get into more night photography.  @gideon-liddiard-photography also has me inspired to utilize high contrast B&W for some floral photography as well!

I've found a preserve that had some Belted Kingfishers make an appearance this past Saturday morning!  I'm hoping they'll continue to frequent there, I might look into a portable blind to get closer, as they're super skittish.  This was shot with my Olympus 100-400 at a very high ISO so the images are pretty cooked with DXOPure Raw and alot of cropping.

Belted Kingfisher by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Fishing Belted Kingfisher by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Belted Kingfisher in Flight! by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Pentax K1/ Panagor PMC 55m Macro

Bachelor Button by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

More Olympus 100-400 action!

Damselfly by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

White-Faced Meadowhawk by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Panagor PMC 55mm Macro adapted to my EM1X

Female White-Faced Meadowhawk by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Sweat Bee on Black Eyed Susan by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

James Warner, KankRat and 6 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerKankRatdenniscrommettBart KersteEckyHDeleted userGideon Liddiard PhotographyUplaxer

A quick one from a walk at lunch today.

James Warner, SpruceBruce and 5 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBrucedenniscrommettBart KersteEckyHDeleted userUplaxer
Quote from SpruceBruce on August 9, 2023, 4:32 pm

@corymaben You're so good at utilizing the darkspace!  I need to get into more night photography.  @gideon-liddiard-photography also has me inspired to utilize high contrast B&W for some floral photography as well!

I've found a preserve that had some Belted Kingfishers make an appearance this past Saturday morning!  I'm hoping they'll continue to frequent there, I might look into a portable blind to get closer, as they're super skittish.  This was shot with my Olympus 100-400 at a very high ISO so the images are pretty cooked with DXOPure Raw and alot of cropping.

Belted Kingfisher by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Fishing Belted Kingfisher by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Belted Kingfisher in Flight! by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Pentax K1/ Panagor PMC 55m Macro

Bachelor Button by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

More Olympus 100-400 action!

White-Faced Meadowhawk by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Panagor PMC 55mm Macro adapted to my EM1X

Female White-Faced Meadowhawk by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Sweat Bee on Black Eyed Susan by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Look forward to seeing them

Quote from Cory Maben on August 9, 2023, 7:04 pm

Thank you! I appreciate you saying that. I think that my night shots are definitely my best, or at very least my favorites. If you have an interest in it, you definitely should!

What's going on with that turquoise bee? I've never seen anything like that before. I also like the colors in that shot, how it matches with the flower and contrasts against the green background. I'm always amazed by how much detail you can get in their eyes, like with the medowhawk.

https://nativebeeology.com/mind-your-bees-and-gardens-2/sweat-bee/

They're a species group of bees called Sweat Bees.  See the link above!  There's lot of different bee species of different varieties and colors besides your typical Bumble Bees and Honey Bees.

Deleted user has reacted to this post.
Deleted user

My town has an annual street art festival and one artist has put an early piece up, and I'm a sucker for street art, so here's a few of it, with a bonus piece from a local brewery I stopped off at for a beer on the way home.

James Warner, SpruceBruce and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruceBart KersteEckyH

nosferatu toy and dio.

SpruceBruce, grover and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
SpruceBrucegroverBart KersteEckyHGideon Liddiard Photography

Killing it as always with the nature shots! So good! Makes me want to grab my DA* 300 and go for a hike!

Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from nokk on August 14, 2023, 3:43 am

nosferatu toy and dio.

Woah, do you do a lot of toy photography? This is very interesting. The lighting and mist is really well played here.

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂
PreviousPage 2 of 9Next