Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Share your August Photos (2023)

Page 1 of 9Next

Looks like I get to kick the month off, managed to go for a quick photowalk in the old part of Swindon last night (we have had pretty much nothing but rain here for the last month), limited myself on kit, with a Minox 35 (that I've not yet finished the film on) and my Lumix GX-7 with the 7Artisans 25mm f1.8, so a manual focus trip.

James Warner, SpruceBruce and 6 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBrucedenniscrommettJBPgroverBart KersteEckyHDeleted user
Quote from Cory Maben on August 2, 2023, 7:40 pm

I like the dutch angle on "Old Town Skyline". Do you shoot it like that or just rotate it in post?

Thanks, I shot two, one with and one without, but I pretty much knew at the time the one with worked best.

Deleted user has reacted to this post.
Deleted user

My family I spent a few days at my buddy's spectacular home on a private lake in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.  We both like fishing and photography.  I got an opportunity to shoot the Nikon flagship Z9 with 100-400mm.  The speed and AF system is ridiculous. Older cameras are not in the same league. It's that amazing. 

In fact we need a new category of wildlife photography for those of us using "retro" gear. It's just not fair.

I stuck with using my D7200 200-500mm.  Here are my best shots so far. The loon is ISO 10K schmoozed with Deep Prime and a lot of masking. 

Mark's Eagles by Mark Kasick, on Flick Mark's Loons by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

My buddy is letting me use his old D4.  Nikon's flagship from 2011. I really don't think he wants it back, but frankly I don't know if it will work for what I do because I crop a lot.  But other than the sensor it blows away my D7200 in every way. Plus it would double as a weapon if someone tried to mug you. Seriously.  

He also gave me his old 70-200 2.8 but that needs to go to my Nikon fix-it guy because the AF is wonky. Still, that's awfully cool of him.  It's honestly one of the most beautiful lenses I own. I only snapped a few pics butthey are gorgeous. 

It's this one.

SpruceBruce, kcphotogeek and 6 other users have reacted to this post.
SpruceBrucekcphotogeekgroverBart KersteEckyHDeleted userGideon Liddiard PhotographyUplaxer

That car wash looks like it has tons of potential for your work.

Deleted user

Sounds like a real gold mine of opportunities 

Deleted user
Quote from Cory Maben on August 5, 2023, 9:08 am

I forgot I had gone out on Wednesday and forced myself to do a little shooting. Here are some shots I liked:

DSC02580 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

DSC02564 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

DSC02562 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

I've been experimenting with adding color into the shadows a bit to get different looks out of the images. Let me know what you guys think

The first one is great, my pic of that bunch, I love how the two light sources stack on top of each other.

I've bought a new toy, as picking up film cameras again had me wondering about full-frame, so as a cheap route into it I nabbed an EOS 5D Classic and a 50/1.7 EF to have a play. First test shots (cats and flowers, test shots are always cats and flowers for me) and it's performing rather well for a kit prime and an eighteen-year-old camera.

SpruceBruce, JBP and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceJBPBart KersteEckyHDeleted user
Quote from KankRat on August 3, 2023, 12:14 pm

My family I spent a few days at my buddy's spectacular home on a private lake in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.  We both like fishing and photography.  I got an opportunity to shoot the Nikon flagship Z9 with 100-400mm.  The speed and AF system is ridiculous. Older cameras are not in the same league. It's that amazing. 

In fact we need a new category of wildlife photography for those of us using "retro" gear. It's just not fair.

I stuck with using my D7200 200-500mm.  Here are my best shots so far. The loon is ISO 10K schmoozed with Deep Prime and a lot of masking. 

My buddy is letting me use his old D4.  Nikon's flagship from 2011. I really don't think he wants it back, but frankly I don't know if it will work for what I do because I crop a lot.  But other than the sensor it blows away my D7200 in every way. Plus it would double as a weapon if someone tried to mug you. Seriously.  

He also gave me his old 70-200 2.8 but that needs to go to my Nikon fix-it guy because the AF is wonky. Still, that's awfully cool of him.  It's honestly one of the most beautiful lenses I own. I only snapped a few pics butthey are gorgeous. 

It's this one.

Stunning photo! The Z9 looks crazy good. That's wild that you felt is was that big of a leap. I can never tell from the media outlets when they review them if they are exaggerating or not, because they say things like that a lot (to sell products...) but I trust that coming from you. 

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from James Warner on August 6, 2023, 2:14 am
Quote from KankRat on August 3, 2023, 12:14 pm

It's this one.

Stunning photo! The Z9 looks crazy good. That's wild that you felt is was that big of a leap. I can never tell from the media outlets when they review them if they are exaggerating or not, because they say things like that a lot (to sell products...) but I trust that coming from you. 

Totally get what you're saying.  Likewise the EM1X is that night and day difference as well.  Whenever we meet up again, you'll have to experience it firsthand.  It's sorcery after you shoot older DSLRs, but sometimes I still prefer an OVF in certain situations oddly enough.  Especially low light.

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP

I always wanted to own a copy of the Vivitar 55mm Macro, so I found a rebadged Panagor PMC 55mm Macro F2.8, ugly rated copy from KEH last winter for $45. Luckily enough it's the smallest dust spots and fungus spot that's totally non impactful to the image quality that fetched quite the discount.  Body wise it's mint, I can't complain for the bargain price that I personally think they undervalued. Finally to end my rant, I have been shooting it lately to it's full potential, this lenses sharpness is a fever dream.  

Leaf Cutter Bee by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Upside Down! by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Green Sweat Bee by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Bumble Bee Portrait by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Long Horn Under the Petals by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

It resolves so much detail on M43, as these were all shot on the EM1X! It's just as sharp on full frame as well.  This is a photo I took back in May on the K1.  I got so lucky to hit the variety of species that are native here in Minnesota this morning! Leaf Cutter And Long Horned Bees are so beautiful and a lot rarer to find than Bumblebee's and the invasive-ish European Honeybee.  My yard is frequented by Sweat Bees more than where I had lived previously in the MSP metro and I see them more than Bumblebee's in my own wildflower garden.  They're very tiny and difficult to shoot as well.

Mason Bee, Pentax K1 Panagor 55mm PMC Macro F2.8 by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Some Olympus 100-400 action as well!

Monarch by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

White Face Meadowhawk by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

James Warner, JBP and 5 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerJBPBart KersteEckyHDeleted userGideon Liddiard PhotographyUplaxer
Quote from Cory Maben on August 6, 2023, 8:15 am
Quote from SpruceBruce on August 6, 2023, 5:20 am

I always wanted to own a copy of the Vivitar 55mm Macro, so I found a rebadged Panagor PMC 55mm Macro F2.8, ugly rated copy from KEH last winter for $45. Luckily enough it's the smallest dust spots and fungus spot that's totally non impactful to the image quality that fetched quite the discount.  Body wise it's mint, I can't complain for the bargain price that I personally think they undervalued. Finally to end my rant, I have been shooting it lately to it's full potential, this lenses sharpness is a fever dream.  

Leaf Cutter Bee by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Upside Down! by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Green Sweat Bee by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Bumble Bee Portrait by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Long Horn Under the Petals by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

It resolves so much detail on M43, as these were all shot on the EM1X! It's just as sharp on full frame as well.  This is a photo I took back in May on the K1.  I got so lucky to hit the variety of species that are native here in Minnesota this morning! Leaf Cutter And Long Horned Bees are so beautiful and a lot rarer to find than Bumblebee's and the invasive-ish European Honeybee.  My yard is frequented by Sweat Bees more than where I had lived previously in the MSP metro and I see them more than Bumblebee's in my own wildflower garden.  They're very tiny and difficult to shoot as well.

Mason Bee, Pentax K1 Panagor 55mm PMC Macro F2.8 by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Some Olympus 100-400 action as well!

Monarch by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

White Face Meadowhawk by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

A lot of these remind me of a book I used to look at all the time as a kid. My aunt and uncle had a book for some reason of macro photography of insects and I found it absolutely nightmare inducing most of the time lol

Glad to know my favorite genre of photography is for therapy sponsorship reasons!  Ants are freaking terrifying under my 2X Laowa 50mm. They're super scary up close and personal.

Deleted user and Gideon Liddiard Photography have reacted to this post.
Deleted userGideon Liddiard Photography
Page 1 of 9Next