Please or Register to create posts and topics.

SHARE YOUR AUGUST PHOTOS! (2022)

PreviousPage 6 of 12Next

Backyard Bird: House finches by Pierson Mason
This House Finch was a bit possessive of the backyard feeder

Backyard Bird: house finch and American Goldfinch by Pierson Mason
Taken through our background window so it's soft, but I like it. They're like ketchup and mustard, as my dad said after I called them strawberry and banana

Beau Carpenter, SpruceBruce and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterSpruceBrucekcphotogeekJBPBart KersteEckyH

A few from this weekend at a kid's museum with the Canon G7X. Last one from today with my old flame, my K10D. 🙂

IMG_2460 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMG_2572 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMG_2678 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP6616 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

James Warner, Beau Carpenter and 5 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerBeau CarpenterSpruceBrucedenniscrommettDavid MaynardBart KersteEckyH

Finally got out of the house to shoot some more last night! We saw an amazing sunset out in Malibu! Plus some rose close ups from our garden the other day as well. I can't decide if I like the closer image or the further away with the blurred roses / sky in the background better. Any thoughts? All on the Fuji XE-4 and Velvia film simulation.

Fuji 60mm Macro Lens:

flckr0809 - 1 by David Maynard, on Flickr

flckr0809 - 2 by David Maynard, on Flickr

flckr0809 - 3 by David Maynard, on Flickr

flckr0809 - 5 by David Maynard, on Flickr

Fuji 15-45mm zoom:

flckr0809 - 4 by David Maynard, on Flickr

flckr0809 - 6 by David Maynard, on Flickr

flckr0809 - 7 by David Maynard, on Flickr

James Warner, SpruceBruce and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruceJBPPentaxEdBart KersteEckyH

Beautiful photos! The colors in the sky are so nice. Way to go Fujifilm! I really love the placement of the starbursts. Really good composition and timing there. 🙂

It is tough to choose between the flower photos... I think I lean toward the close up more. The detail is so nice and it's a nice clean image (less distractions?). But they're both great, it's a close call for me. 🙂

Edit:
Almost forgot to say I like that you didn't boost the shadows in those sunset images. It enhances the mood and keeps the focus on the sunset and sky by letting the foreground elements add interest to the image without distracting from the main subject. I get carried away with boosting shadows all the time and often it leads to not only an unrealistic looking image but one that has too many elements competing for the viewer's attention. The one with the starburst through the tree and the sunlight falling on the hills in the background is awesome!

David Maynard has reacted to this post.
David Maynard
Quote from JBP on August 10, 2022, 2:15 pm

Beautiful photos! The colors in the sky are so nice. Way to go Fujifilm! I really love the placement of the starbursts. Really good composition and timing there. 🙂

It is tough to choose between the flower photos... I think I lean toward the close up more. The detail is so nice and it's a nice clean image (less distractions?). But they're both great, it's a close call for me. 🙂

Edit:
Almost forgot to say I like that you didn't boost the shadows in those sunset images. It enhances the mood and keeps the focus on the sunset and sky by letting the foreground elements add interest to the image without distracting from the main subject. I get carried away with boosting shadows all the time and often it leads to not only an unrealistic looking image but one that has too many elements competing for the viewer's attention. The one with the starburst through the tree and the sunlight falling on the hills in the background is awesome!

Thank you! We had amazing luck with the sunset / colors / timing when we were out there! It's our favorite park about a 30 min drive from home. Our toddler was riding her bike around while I was shooting. 🙂

I love the high contrasty look of the Velvia recipe in the Fuji. I started shooting Velvia ISO 50 slide film back in the early days, and really loved the look of the saturated colors, dark foreground, light sky, and high contrast. I've been seeking it out ever since I switched to digital, and the film simulation seems to nail it! I do love some of the auto HDR photos from the iPhone (and that's truly the best for candid photos in difficult light) and bumping up the shadows to see the foreground in some photos as well, but this look is truly my favorite. Here's an old 'real' Velvia shot (scanned) from 2002 on my old Minolta. I always have this type of image in mind when I'm shooting sunsets.

Sunset by David Maynard, on Flickr

James Warner, SpruceBruce and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruceJBPBart KersteEckyH

That's a wonderful image. 🙂 Fuji film sims intrigue me. The idea of replicating old film stocks in-camera is so cool. I'm happy to hear they nailed it, at least with that one (not that I've heard complaints about others). 🙂 Fuji really has it all: film sims, aesthetics, sensors, a body for everyone, and lens quality. Oh and aftermarket support. Those leather covers I've seen for the bottom of the camera...cool!

David Maynard has reacted to this post.
David Maynard

A couple flowers from yesterday, and one from months ago I passed over in the edit. Part of the reason I'm so interested in Fuji is to maybe cut down on editing time. I get burnt out and in my rush I just pass over photos I'd otherwise like.

IMGP7867 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP7911 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP6604 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

Beau Carpenter, SpruceBruce and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterSpruceBrucedenniscrommettDavid MaynardBart KersteEckyH
Quote from JBP on August 10, 2022, 5:18 pm

A couple flowers from yesterday, and one from months ago I passed over in the edit. Part of the reason I'm so interested in Fuji is to maybe cut down on editing time. I get burnt out and in my rush I just pass over photos I'd otherwise like.

These are great! I love the last one with the berries and one leaf!

How is the G7X? I was thinking of one of the G series when I started looking at smaller cameras and wanted to try the G1X out but never ended up doing it.

Quote from David Maynard on August 11, 2022, 2:42 pm
Quote from JBP on August 10, 2022, 5:18 pm

These are great! I love the last one with the berries and one leaf!

How is the G7X? I was thinking of one of the G series when I started looking at smaller cameras and wanted to try the G1X out but never ended up doing it.

It's fantastic. It's so convenient and takes great photographs. I got it for my wife but she never took to it because it doesn't feel like a "real camera" but it sure is. I picked it out because of the sensor size, low light performance seemed good (it is) and it shoots RAW. The files are very flexible. The battery lasts forever. You can set it up to have a front and rear dial for complete control of the exposure settings (I believe I was able to make it run in an effective TAv mode like a Pentax, but I usually shoot it Av and use exposure compensation if need be since the exposure comp dial is so convenient and nice). Oh and it shoots really nice JPEGs too.

My only complaint with it is there's no viewfinder. I really like looking through a viewfinder lol. Oh and the drive modes are crazy. It's either single shot or you take 2-3 photos with each press. The slow drive mode is still like a machine gun and the shutter button isn't sensitive enough to let me take one at time like I can with my K-3 even in high speed drive.

Wow, nice little wall of text for ya. 😲

Here's a few snaps from a short hike yesterday with my K-3.

IMGP8364 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP8103 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP8166 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP8081 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP8244 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

Beau Carpenter, SpruceBruce and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterSpruceBruceDavid MaynardBart KersteEckyH

The wonderful budget Macro setup! EM10 II, 7Artisans 60mm Macro MkII, and Meike M570 Flash.

James Warner, kcphotogeek and 5 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerkcphotogeekJBPPentaxEdDavid MaynardBart KersteEckyH
PreviousPage 6 of 12Next