Please or Register to create posts and topics.

SHARE YOUR AUGUST PHOTOS! (2022)

PreviousPage 4 of 12Next
Quote from James Warner on August 5, 2022, 2:40 am

@jbp @sprucebruce y'all are on a roll! Beautiful colors and compositions. I love those times where I'm able to go out and photograph a ton.

This morning I went out to try to make the most of the dried creek bed. I brought my Sigma SD14 with the hot mirror popped out and an IR720 on the lens. It can't meter through the IR filter so goes crazy and I had to guess manual exposure and manual focus. The files were also super red, which makes me think that the filter isn't a true 720nm, an also that the way a foveon sensor is designed it's eating up those reds. Anyway, color swaps were out of the question so I went with black and whites.

Nicely done! I like the shot from ground level. Photographing while prone in the dirt, becoming a jungle gym for insects, makes me long for a flip screen. But it's so worth it for the shot.

Quote from Bart Kerste on August 5, 2022, 1:36 pm

Yesterday I went for a walk with my family on the boulevard in Vlissingen, Zeeland, the Netherlands. We were lucky, a beautiful sunset, partly behind clouds, creating beautiful colors. All photos were taken with the Konica Minolta Dimage A200, a camera from 2005. Some photos come straight out of the camera, others I had to edit lightly, especially straightening the horizon.

Wow, what a nice walk that must have been! The colors are splendid. Must be a CCD sensor, I think. 🙂

Quote from Bart Kerste on August 5, 2022, 1:44 pm
Quote from JBP on August 5, 2022, 12:43 am

Some more closeups with my K-3. Still on the 20-40 kick.

The depth of field, composition and colors of the second photo really appeal to me. Great series, but I prefer the second photo. And then of course the photo of the love bugs. Again, the depth of field is exactly right, beautiful colors and of course just a striking photo.

Thank you so much! 🙂

Quote from Bart Kerste on August 5, 2022, 1:51 pm

The drop on the leaf... beautiful.

Many thanks!

Today was a bit sleepy...
Olympus E-M10II with Panasonic 20/1.7.

E.

Uploaded files:
  • 20220805_miez_0001.jpg
SpruceBruce and JBP have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceJBP
Veni, vidi, serravi.
Quote from EckyH on August 5, 2022, 3:45 pm
Quote from Bart Kerste on August 5, 2022, 1:51 pm

The drop on the leaf... beautiful.

Many thanks!

Today was a bit sleepy...
Olympus E-M10II with Panasonic 20/1.7.

E.

Nice image. How do you like that lens? If it's the one I'm thinking of it seems highly regarded by the m4/3 crowd.

Quote from JBP on August 5, 2022, 3:58 pm
Quote from EckyH on August 5, 2022, 3:45 pm

Panasonic 20/1.7.

Nice image. How do you like that lens? If it's the one I'm thinking of it seems highly regarded by the m4/3 crowd.

Thank you! 🙂

The lens is a mixed bag: optical quality is very good in my eyes, it is small and it doesn't cost a fortune. The downside is the AF, because it is OK in well lit situations if your subject doesn't move faster than slow and in low light situations it hunts a lot and is not very reliable. MF isn't a good option, because the throw is very, very long.

E.

Veni, vidi, serravi.

Shots from our trip to the Indiana farm

James Warner, Beau Carpenter and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerBeau CarpenterdenniscrommettEckyH
Ever striving for minimum competency
Quote from grover on August 1, 2022, 8:28 pm

Wow the July thread was a cracker of a month for photos. I was inspired many times to get out and try new things.

I just got back from Moraine Lake in Alberta Canada. It was a late night but totally worth it. Nothing better than hanging out under the stars on a warm summer night in the mountains.

I don't normally do night photography but it's something I've been meaning to do. I've not even used Pentax astrotracer yet! Next time! I can now understand the benefits.

I used my new Pentax K-1 II this weekend. I don't own any ultra-wide full-frame lenses yet, so I found myself using my APSC lenses a lot. Most shots were taken with my Rokinon 8mm fisheye or my Sigma 10-20mm f3.5. I used crop mode on the K-1 and was pleasantly surprised at how well it did.

I did some light painting with a flashlight on the canoes during exposure. Light edits were done in Darktable (also new to me). I removed some noise, adjusted the colour balance a touch, and some slight cropping when needed. Many firsts but so far I like the K-1 and Darktable!

The last shot has what looks like 3 shooting stars in one exposure... that made it my favorite capture of the night. It was a magical night.

Some highlights

These look incredible!!

Ever striving for minimum competency
Quote from James Warner on August 5, 2022, 2:40 am

Nice!! I really like this one, with the lone stick against the clouds.

I think 720 filters usually are all red or magenta, unless you do a custom white balance on an IR (e.g. living plant) subject. Your photos look like infrared to me.

Quote from JBP on August 4, 2022, 2:16 pm

I had the 20-40mm on my K-3 and switching between the two on occasion did have me appreciating again just how good the 18-135 is for its price and versatility. Pentax has some lenses that are just so much value for money it's crazy.

IMGP7268 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

This is so 3d and with such presence… it feels like it's really here.

SpruceBruce and JBP have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceJBP
Quote from SpruceBruce on August 4, 2022, 7:10 pm

This one is perfect. It's like a portrait of a bee and the color contrast with the beautiful OOF echinacea spears and the green background is *chefs kiss*.

It's hard to believe that caterpillar is a creature!

Quote from Bart Kerste on August 5, 2022, 1:36 pm

Yesterday I went for a walk with my family on the boulevard in Vlissingen, Zeeland, the Netherlands. We were lucky, a beautiful sunset, partly behind clouds, creating beautiful colors. All photos were taken with the Konica Minolta Dimage A200, a camera from 2005. Some photos come straight out of the camera, others I had to edit lightly, especially straightening the horizon.

Wow! The sunset colors are just fantastic. Amazing what that little camera did.

SpruceBruce and David Maynard have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceDavid Maynard

The K10D likes good glass! I tried the 20-40 Limited on it for the first time. For whatever reason I have to fiddle with every RAW file from my K-3 (or use the JPEG if I'm shooting RAW+), whereas with the K10D it seems the RAWs look like the JPEGs and thus I don't have to edit nearly as much - they're nice already. 🤷‍♂️ For these I just applied the lens profile correction in Lightroom. 🙂

IMGP6525 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP6530 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP6564 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP6571 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP6574 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

SpruceBruce and EckyH have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceEckyH

@jbp + @beau-carpenter you guys are killing it with the K10D! I've only been using mine with vintage glass but wow!

These are all with my Sigma fp though.

Tamron BBAR 90mm 2.5 macro:

I got a new(er) lens, a Voigtlander Color Skopar 21mm f/4, to give me a wider angle view for my Ricoh GXR… but first I tried it on the full-frame Sigma fp… they say the lens is contrasty and sharp and they're not joking, it's almost painful!

Justin Tung, Beau Carpenter and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
Justin TungBeau CarpenterSpruceBruceJBPDavid MaynardEckyH
PreviousPage 4 of 12Next