Please or Register to create posts and topics.

SHARE YOUR AUGUST PHOTOS! (2022)

Page 1 of 12Next

Wow the July thread was a cracker of a month for photos. I was inspired many times to get out and try new things.

I just got back from Moraine Lake in Alberta Canada. It was a late night but totally worth it. Nothing better than hanging out under the stars on a warm summer night in the mountains.

I don't normally do night photography but it's something I've been meaning to do. I've not even used Pentax astrotracer yet! Next time! I can now understand the benefits.

I used my new Pentax K-1 II this weekend. I don't own any ultra-wide full-frame lenses yet, so I found myself using my APSC lenses a lot. Most shots were taken with my Rokinon 8mm fisheye or my Sigma 10-20mm f3.5. I used crop mode on the K-1 and was pleasantly surprised at how well it did.

I did some light painting with a flashlight on the canoes during exposure. Light edits were done in Darktable (also new to me). I removed some noise, adjusted the colour balance a touch, and some slight cropping when needed. Many firsts but so far I like the K-1 and Darktable!

The last shot has what looks like 3 shooting stars in one exposure... that made it my favorite capture of the night. It was a magical night.

Some highlights

Uploaded files:
  • IMGP1402_01.jpg
  • IMGP1422_02.jpg
  • IMGP1457_tonemapped_tonemapped_01.jpg
  • IMGP1487_8_9_tonemapped_tonemapped.jpg
  • IMGP1418.jpg
James Warner, Justin Tung and 10 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerJustin TungBeau CarpenterSpruceBruceGawaddenniscrommettkcphotogeekJBPPentaxEdDavid MaynardBart KersteEckyH
Quote from grover on August 1, 2022, 8:28 pm

Wow the July thread was a cracker of a month for photos. I was inspired many times to get out and try new things.

I just got back from Moraine Lake in Alberta Canada. It was a late night but totally worth it. Nothing better than hanging out under the stars on a warm summer night in the mountains.

I don't normally do night photography but it's something I've been meaning to do. I've not even used Pentax astrotracer yet! Next time! I can now understand the benefits.

I used my new Pentax K-1 II this weekend. I don't own any ultra-wide full-frame lenses yet, so I found myself using my APSC lenses a lot. Most shots were taken with my Rokinon 8mm fisheye or my Sigma 10-20mm f3.5. I used crop mode on the K-1 and was pleasantly surprised at how well it did.

I did some light painting with a flashlight on the canoes during exposure. Light edits were done in Darktable (also new to me). I removed some noise, adjusted the colour balance a touch, and some slight cropping when needed. Many firsts but so far I like the K-1 and Darktable!

The last shot had 3 shooting stars in one exposure... that made it my favorite capture of the night. It was a magic moment to witness.

Some highlights

Woah these are great! The view is epic! And three shooting stars is epic! 🤯 The light painting came out perfect. I've started thinking about doing this kind of stuff and that was something I thought would be super easy to mess up (overexpose, hot spots, etc.). Great, great job. I am itching to try this out soon!

Here's a photo I initially passed over but came back to after seeing your awesome landscapes. I have been trying to shoot more landscape photos because I mostly just shoot close ups of things. Anyway, I didn't have my tripod to get a nice water blur (although I had my ND filter, lol) but I heard that you can take multiple exposures to get the same effect in photoshop (or in camera if you have a tripod and no ND filter). So I took 5 shots handheld to give that a try.

I aligned them in photoshop, blended them and then used one of the original photos again to mask the trees back in (to get rid of branch blur). It worked out really well. Much easier (for me) than macro photo stacking. Next time I will take more photos because the more you have the more blurred the water becomes.

IMGP6530 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

Beau Carpenter, SpruceBruce and 5 other users have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterSpruceBruceGawaddenniscrommettgroverBart KersteEckyH

The last shot had 3 shooting stars in one exposure... that made it my favorite capture of the night. It was a magic moment to witness.

Some highlights

WOW!! These are amazing!! We spent our honeymoon up near Moraine Lake (Cathedral Mountain Lodge) back in 2014 and spent a lot of time there walking around. It is a magical place and these shots capture some of that magic! 🙂

SpruceBruce and grover have reacted to this post.
SpruceBrucegrover

@grover Beautiful photos! That's a big bucket list destination for me to go one day. And turn on the astrotracer next time lol! Worked like a charm the first time I ever used it. You could always do a composite photo to get everything in focus.

@jbp I need to start better utilizing composite images to get these results, plus those mushrooms you uploaded today. I feel like it'll up my Macro shots big time

My MZ-S was just asking to be used with my new FA 31 Limited and FA 100mm Macro. I'm very pleased with the results with Kodak Ultramax and the camera's AF. It actually hit some great shots for being limited to five AF points and late 90s tech. The amount of detail resolved for budget film is impressive as well. I can't get enough of the Bergamot/Sunflower and Bumblebee shots lately. Hopefully everyone isn't getting tired of them yet, they're something that makes me so giddy like I'm new to photography all over again taking them. Maybe because Macro is really challenging and variable I've learned the last few weeks and there's always a new perspective to shoot. I'm investing in a soft box diffuser and flash setup next, trying to step my game up.

Beau Carpenter, Gawad and 7 other users have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterGawaddenniscrommettJBPgroverPentaxEdDavid MaynardBart KersteEckyH

Yesterday during the lunch break...
Olympus E-M1 with 30/3.5 Macro.

E.

Uploaded files:
  • 20220801_feast_0001.jpg
  • 20220801_wet_0004.jpg
SpruceBruce, Gawad and 5 other users have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceGawaddenniscrommettJBPgroverDavid MaynardBart Kerste
Veni, vidi, serravi.
Quote from JBP on August 2, 2022, 2:05 am

Some highlights

Woah these are great! The view is epic! And three shooting stars is epic! 🤯 The light painting came out perfect. I've started thinking about doing this kind of stuff and that was something I thought would be super easy to mess up (overexpose, hot spots, etc.). Great, great job. I am itching to try this out soon!

Here's a photo I initially passed over but came back to after seeing your awesome landscapes. I have been trying to shoot more landscape photos because I mostly just shoot close ups of things. Anyway, I didn't have my tripod to get a nice water blur (although I had my ND filter, lol) but I heard that you can take multiple exposures to get the same effect in photoshop (or in camera if you have a tripod and no ND filter). So I took 5 shots handheld to give that a try.

I aligned them in photoshop, blended them and then used one of the original photos again to mask the trees back in (to get rid of branch blur). It worked out really well. Much easier (for me) than macro photo stacking. Next time I will take more photos because the more you have the more blurred the water becomes.

IMGP6530 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

Thanks JBP.

As I often do, I did this trip with a good friend who is an absolute landscape master. He knows all the best locations to shoot and he has done them all many times. While I'm simply trying to "get the shot" he is off screwing around with light sabers and Canadian flags for his shots. It's really handy to have knowledgeable friends to learn from!

I have ND filters. I used them on a couple shots. Third one from the top had a 10 stop filter.

I've never combined shots to simulate a long exposure. I should try because it sure would be nice to cut down on some gear. On the flip side, I also want to do as much with my camera as possible... torn. That's the cool thing about photography though, there are many ways to achieve a similar end goal. Never hurts to know them all !

Combining images and masking to get some elements sharp while others are blurred is high on my list of things to master. I hope to figure it out in Darktable. I think that would be good for water, astrotracer, and a lot of other situations.

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP

@sprucebruce Bring on the bee shots! They are very cool. 🙂

Here are some photos from yesterday and today. Flowers were shot while the little one was sleeping in the car (I should start a series on photos close enough to the car to hear if she wakes up!), then some beach shots from this morning. Trying Flikr links for the first time, let's see if this works! It's interesting to shoot some macro at the beach. I had a lot of throw-away images, but some fun ideas that I hope to explore the next time!

Close ups with the Fuji 60mm Macro f/2.4 and Velvia recipe, bird shot with the Fuji 15-45mm and Classic Chrome recipe all on the XE-4.

Justin Tung, SpruceBruce and 6 other users have reacted to this post.
Justin TungSpruceBruceGawaddenniscrommettJBPgroverBart KersteEckyH
Quote from SpruceBruce on August 2, 2022, 6:35 am

@grover Beautiful photos! That's a big bucket list destination for me to go one day. And turn on the astrotracer next time lol! Worked like a charm the first time I ever used it. You could always do a composite photo to get everything in focus.

This is the goal! I will conquer you night-photography! This was a last second trip and I didn't even watch a youtube video to figure out how astrotracer works. It was too many new things at the same time. I went with a buddy who has done plenty of night photography without astrotracer ( Canon ) so I figured I'd just learn what he knows first.

Hopefully one day I'll be able to setup, calibrate the astrotracer, or use pixelshift etc ... maybe even combine the two techniques along with masking and all that stuff to get the ultimate shot. I mean, the camera does it so I should make the most of it!

Quote from David Maynard on August 2, 2022, 4:35 pm

@sprucebruce Bring on the bee shots! They are very cool. 🙂

Here are some photos from yesterday and today. Flowers were shot while the little one was sleeping in the car (I should start a series on photos close enough to the car to hear if she wakes up!), then some beach shots from this morning. Trying Flikr links for the first time, let's see if this works! It's interesting to shoot some macro at the beach. I had a lot of throw-away images, but some fun ideas that I hope to explore the next time!

Close ups with the Fuji 60mm Macro f/2.4 and Velvia recipe, bird shot with the Fuji 15-45mm and Classic Chrome recipe.

Very nice! I really like the third shot from the top (water washing over shell).

A new genre of photography: "photos close enough to the car to hear if kids wakes up"  lol. Been there. Just getting out of that phase but I totally know what you are talking about.

Interesting that you can link Flickr images here. I think that's what I'll do going forward. Poor James is going to rack up a hosting bill with all these photos being posted!

David Maynard has reacted to this post.
David Maynard
Quote from grover on August 2, 2022, 4:40 pm

Very nice! I really like the third shot from the top (water washing over shell).

A new genre of photography: "photos close enough to the car to hear if kids wakes up"  lol. Been there. Just getting out of that phase but I totally know what you are talking about.

Interesting that you can link Flickr images here. I think that's what I'll do going forward. Poor James is going to rack up a hosting bill with all these photos being posted!

Thanks! I had several shots of that shell, then a wave almost took out the camera and then I took that shot as the wave was heading back out! That gives me some ideas for the next beach visit. 🙂 Just have to be careful not to splash my new camera. 😀

I linked with BBCode, but will try the insert photo links next time as it doesn't look like you can click to enlarge with the BBCode link.

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Page 1 of 12Next