Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Share Your August Photos! (2021)

PreviousPage 5 of 8Next
Quote from xoQUox on August 20, 2021, 7:05 pm

I'm on a short vacation with my girlfriend at the Baltic See in North Germany. Today we took a short walk to the beach where I wanted to take some pictures with my Pentax 645. I also brought my Pentax Q for some snapshots.

I'm not sure if I'm really happy with the pictures, but I'm also not very experienced with the Q.

I will also post the 645 shoots, when they come back in some weeks/months 😛

I love the beach 🙂 I also love the idea of bringing Pentax's smallest camera with their largest, lol!

Justin Tung and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
Justin TungSpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from Snappy on August 20, 2021, 9:20 pm
Quote from Eye.n.Eye on August 19, 2021, 11:33 pm
Quote from Snappy on August 19, 2021, 8:58 pm

Both incredible images. I assume you took many great pics in August, but if I only took those two shots I'd be a happy camper 🙂

I haven't tried a stack of the milkyway oddly enough. Just things like orion's nebula and Andromeda. I'll have to try sometime. So hard to find a night to get away from city lights.

Thank you!

I saw a mention of a tracker in your early post, so I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

I love landscape astrophotography so the milky way at wide angle is my jam haha. Every time I do it there's something new to learn (or stuff up). Its the perfect photography genre for a nerd like myself. I just need to accept the results will never be perfect as I look back on them as I improve. I guess that holds for all forms of photography though, right?

I am fortunate that I only have to drive 30 minutes to get quite dark skies. Below are two landscape astrophotos I took earlier in the month. I'm stuck in lockdown now, so this night is good memory to hold onto haha.

These just use the Pentax Astrotracer function. If I can get away with it, I always leave my star tracker in the car if I think I can get away with just Astrotracer. The Pano is over 300MP, so I can't really do it justice on a forum display, The other is just a single 35mm FoV.

Stunning. I really need to try doing separate shots for background/foreground as well. Or just figure out better ways to light my foreground. Or just plan more to find interesting foreground elements, hah. Every since moving to Texas a few years ago I've been thrown off. In Idaho and Missouri I was similar to you. A short drive to very dark skies. Now it's further away, and I'm still trying to get familiar with the landscapes for what I could shoot. I will keep trying! Thanks for the inspiration.

I do feel fortunate to have easy access to dark skies. The irony is that when I'm driving half an hour in my car to get there, I'm still wishing it was closer/easier. I keep reminding myself that if I lived in the majority of populated places around the world, I wouldn't have any access, no matter how far I was willing to drive.

Separating the sky exposures from the foreground exposures definitely opens up the creative options, and makes it easier to get a good SNR on the sky in particular.

You can also make it as simple or as complex as you want it to be. The picture of the road is a single 5 minute foreground (no lighting) with a stack of 10 x 1 minute sky exposures. This photo only took 10 minutes in post, total. I think the next time I'm at this location, I'll shot this photo again without any tracking, and using the same exposures for the sky and the foreground, just to see if I can tell the difference.

The bridge photo however featured sky exposures, a foreground exposure (using my head touch on the tree), and a third set of foreground exposures with no lighting (just to use as a mask in photoshop). All of this at every position of the panorama (4 rows of 7 photos). It took nearly 2 hours to capture in the field, and more than that again to get everything together in post. After all that, I still wasn't overly happy with the composition haha, and prefer the other photo.

I think the #1 most important step is visiting the locations and scouting them out in the day time (albeit a big time commitment). I didn't do that on this occasion and it made things a lot harder. If I turn up in the pitch black without a clear plan, its invariably hard work at best!

James Warner and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruce

I'm on a short vacation with my girlfriend at the Baltic See in North Germany. Today we took a short walk to the beach where I wanted to take some pictures with my Pentax 645. I also brought my Pentax Q for some snapshots.

I'm not sure if I'm really happy with the pictures, but I'm also not very experienced with the Q.

I'm keen to see the film photos, and more Q series photos!

I have had a Q10 for a few months, but I just don't quite get it (yet). I haven't really shot anything I'm happy with, and I find it quiet challenging to use effectively.

Tristan Carlos and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
Tristan CarlosSpruceBruce

My Olympus Pen D2 and a walk around Downtown Minneapolis.

Uploaded files:
  • Image-3-11.jpg
  • Image-3-6.jpg
  • Image-5-1.jpg
  • Image-3-10.jpg
  • Image-3-19.jpg
Tristan Carlos, Justin Tung and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
Tristan CarlosJustin TungEye.n.EyexoQUox
Quote from Eye.n.Eye on August 21, 2021, 12:13 am

I have had a Q10 for a few months, but I just don't quite get it (yet). I haven't really shot anything I'm happy with, and I find it quiet challenging to use effectively.

I have the same struggle. I really loved the idea of the Q Series from the very first time, I saw one. But now that I own one, I'm not sure if the camera is what I expected. I mean for quick snapshots, I can use my smartphone, and for everything more sophisticated I use my K5. But I will still give it a try. I ordered the 02 Standard Zoom, maybe this will give me some advantages about a smartphone. Right now I only own the 01, 03, 06 and 07 lenses.

But it's really funny to adapt the 645 lenses down to the Q. Looks really ridiculous, but in the near future I will try to make some useful pictures with such a setup.

Pentax's smallest camera with their largest

Yeah, but isn't the Pentax Super 110 smaller and the 6x7 bigger? 😛

Quote from xoQUox on August 21, 2021, 1:01 pm

I have the same struggle. I really loved the idea of the Q Series from the very first time, I saw one. But now that I own one, I'm not sure if the camera is what I expected. I mean for quick snapshots, I can use my smartphone, and for everything more sophisticated I use my K5. But I will still give it a try. I ordered the 02 Standard Zoom, maybe this will give me some advantages about a smartphone. Right now I only own the 01, 03, 06 and 07 lenses.

But it's really funny to adapt the 645 lenses down to the Q. Looks really ridiculous, but in the near future I will try to make some useful pictures with such a setup.

Would love to see pictures of that adapted set up haha. I'm surprised adapting it is even possible! The insane amount of crop between a lens with 645 coverage to 1/2.3" sensor... 8.92?

Quote from SpruceBruce on August 21, 2021, 5:11 am

Half frame gang! what film is this?

xoQUox has reacted to this post.
xoQUox
Ever striving for minimum competency
Quote from Justin Tung on August 21, 2021, 5:08 pm
Quote from xoQUox on August 21, 2021, 1:01 pm

Would love to see pictures of that adapted set up haha. I'm surprised adapting it is even possible! The insane amount of crop between a lens with 645 coverage to 1/2.3" sensor... 8.92?

Quote from SpruceBruce on August 21, 2021, 5:11 am

Half frame gang! what film is this?

Ilford Delta 100. I really like it. Wanna shoot more now.

Justin Tung has reacted to this post.
Justin Tung

You must be really close to me! I'm somewhere between Kiel and Luebeck.. and about 20 minutes away from the Baltic sea....

Caught some morning action from T2 in MSP, while I dropped my parents off to fly home to PHL.  Nikon Z50 & Tamron 150-600mm G2.

Uploaded files:
  • B52AAD98-2411-439D-B25D-7ACED3FCAE45.jpeg
  • BFFDC625-7A07-4450-916C-CBB59BFE5F47.jpeg
  • 60661301-AA73-4977-A4DF-A8B95A673258.jpeg
  • 00DDBAF4-9187-4CB4-AA76-88B0423A1688.jpeg
  • 2A6A068D-C279-444C-AF70-F17A96099C49.jpeg
Eye.n.Eye has reacted to this post.
Eye.n.Eye
Quote from SpruceBruce on August 23, 2021, 2:19 pm

Caught some morning action from T2 in MSP, while I dropped my parents off to fly home to PHL.  Nikon Z50 & Tamron 150-600mm G2.

Have you ever considered making a book in a few years centered around your work? I just feel like it’s such a unique perspective working around aircraft and being a great photographer. Nice pics! How bulky does that setup feel? That is some great reach!

Here’s some from looking for wildlife. I’ll share some more day-to-day pics from a trip I took once I get them downloaded from my camera.

Leon Creek Wildlife

Leon Creek Wildlife

Barred Owl Morning

Justin Tung, SpruceBruce and Eye.n.Eye have reacted to this post.
Justin TungSpruceBruceEye.n.Eye
Happy snappin' 🙂
PreviousPage 5 of 8Next