Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Share Your August Photos! (2021)

PreviousPage 4 of 8Next
Quote from Justin Tung on August 17, 2021, 6:03 pm
Quote from Snappy on August 17, 2021, 1:41 pm

Great shots @SpruceBruce The DoF on that waterfall shot is crazy!

@soketto really like those colors 🙂

Random shots from the last week:

That's such a backlit owl haha. Are these all from the hike/bike spot you always go to?

@james-warner-b For real what Justin said, I never get lucky to even find an owl in the daytime up here.  Great shots.  Really enjoy the dead tree minimalism.

Justin Tung has reacted to this post.
Justin Tung

That's such a backlit owl haha. Are these all from the hike/bike spot you always go to?

These are from different spots. The owl is by the trails I ride a few times a week. I actually haven't seen owls in two or more months, so I was excited to finally find one again this week. They stick around one area generally for a while then move on and I have to relocate where they ended up. Quite a fun challenge.

The rest from the series is from Government Canyon State Natural Area near me. I will be posting a video on that pretty soon. Gonna try to get a good vlogish format going and film my mini-adventures I have 😀

Justin Tung and Gawad have reacted to this post.
Justin TungGawad
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from SpruceBruce on August 17, 2021, 7:45 pm

@james-warner-b For real what Justin said, I never get lucky to even find an owl in the daytime up here.  Great shots.  Really enjoy the dead tree minimalism.

It was shot at 7am, something like 3200/6400 ISO at F4 and then brought up a stop and half in post. The big reason I bought the KP over just keeping the K3 was because of this exact situation. Almost all my owl shots are at high ISO and need even more recovery in post, and the new sensor/processor just does a better job.

So yeah, looks like daytime thanks to post-processing magic 😀

I am not really any good at post-processing so I haven't made any videos on it, but maybe at some point I'll just show my process for those that are curious. And then maybe people can point out what I'm doing wrong, haha

Beau Carpenter, SpruceBruce and Gawad have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterSpruceBruceGawad
Happy snappin' 🙂

Took a week-long trip to see some family before the school term starts, and got the chance to also go to the National Gallery in DC. The museum was quite empty, probably with a combination of being a weekday and Covid times. Brought along a roll of Foma Retropan 320, a new film to me. The film came out of dev looking pretty thin, but scanned with decent range of tones.

Tristan Carlos, SpruceBruce and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
Tristan CarlosSpruceBruceEye.n.EyexoQUox
Ever striving for minimum competency

Those turned out really nicely. I usually never take pictures inside museums because I can't think of any interesting compositions, but I find that set very pleasing to look at.

Justin Tung and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
Justin TungSpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂

Everyone's photos this month are super impressive. Its great to see such a wide range of photo styles and gear being used.

In keeping with that theme, below are two of my photos from the month. The first photo was shot on my newly acquired Pentax *istD. Its not focused exactly where I wanted, but I didn't realise the *istD couldn't autofocus some of the newer Pentax APS-C lens, so I had a chance to work on my manual focus skills haha.

The second photo is at the other end of the Pentax DSLR spectrum, a shot from a K1ii and Sigma 35 f1.4. technically this photo started in July (the 31st at 11:30pm to be exact), but its around 35 minutes of exposures stacked, so it ending just inside August!

Uploaded files:
  • 20210809-IMGP3385.jpg
  • 20210731-IMGP1802-SEQ-2K.jpg
Justin Tung, Beau Carpenter and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
Justin TungBeau CarpenterSpruceBrucexoQUox
Quote from Eye.n.Eye on August 19, 2021, 10:53 am

Everyone's photos this month are super impressive. Its great to see such a wide range of photo styles and gear being used.

In keeping with that theme, below are two of my photos from the month. The first photo was shot on my newly acquired Pentax *istD. Its not focused exactly where I wanted, but I didn't realise the *istD couldn't autofocus some of the newer Pentax APS-C lens, so I had a chance to work on my manual focus skills haha.

The second photo is at the other end of the Pentax DSLR spectrum, a shot from a K1ii and Sigma 35 f1.4. technically this photo started in July (the 31st at 11:30pm to be exact), but its around 35 minutes of exposures stacked, so it ending just inside August!

Both incredible images. I assume you took many great pics in August, but if I only took those two shots I'd be a happy camper 🙂

I haven't tried a stack of the milkyway oddly enough. Just things like orion's nebula and Andromeda. I'll have to try sometime. So hard to find a night to get away from city lights.

SpruceBruce and Eye.n.Eye have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceEye.n.Eye
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from Snappy on August 19, 2021, 8:58 pm

Both incredible images. I assume you took many great pics in August, but if I only took those two shots I'd be a happy camper 🙂

I haven't tried a stack of the milkyway oddly enough. Just things like orion's nebula and Andromeda. I'll have to try sometime. So hard to find a night to get away from city lights.

Thank you!

I saw a mention of a tracker in your early post, so I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

I love landscape astrophotography so the milky way at wide angle is my jam haha. Every time I do it there's something new to learn (or stuff up). Its the perfect photography genre for a nerd like myself. I just need to accept the results will never be perfect as I look back on them as I improve. I guess that holds for all forms of photography though, right?

I am fortunate that I only have to drive 30 minutes to get quite dark skies. Below are two landscape astrophotos I took earlier in the month. I'm stuck in lockdown now, so this night is good memory to hold onto haha.

These just use the Pentax Astrotracer function. If I can get away with it, I always leave my star tracker in the car if I think I can get away with just Astrotracer. The Pano is over 300MP, so I can't really do it justice on a forum display, The other is just a single 35mm FoV.

James Warner, SpruceBruce and xoQUox have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBrucexoQUox

I'm on a short vacation with my girlfriend at the Baltic See in North Germany. Today we took a short walk to the beach where I wanted to take some pictures with my Pentax 645. I also brought my Pentax Q for some snapshots.

I'm not sure if I'm really happy with the pictures, but I'm also not very experienced with the Q.

I will also post the 645 shoots, when they come back in some weeks/months 😛

Tristan Carlos, Justin Tung and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
Tristan CarlosJustin TungSpruceBruceEye.n.Eye
Quote from Eye.n.Eye on August 19, 2021, 11:33 pm
Quote from Snappy on August 19, 2021, 8:58 pm

Thank you!

I saw a mention of a tracker in your early post, so I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

I love landscape astrophotography so the milky way at wide angle is my jam haha. Every time I do it there's something new to learn (or stuff up). Its the perfect photography genre for a nerd like myself. I just need to accept the results will never be perfect as I look back on them as I improve. I guess that holds for all forms of photography though, right?

I am fortunate that I only have to drive 30 minutes to get quite dark skies. Below are two landscape astrophotos I took earlier in the month. I'm stuck in lockdown now, so this night is good memory to hold onto haha.

These just use the Pentax Astrotracer function. If I can get away with it, I always leave my star tracker in the car if I think I can get away with just Astrotracer. The Pano is over 300MP, so I can't really do it justice on a forum display, The other is just a single 35mm FoV.

Stunning. I really need to try doing separate shots for background/foreground as well. Or just figure out better ways to light my foreground. Or just plan more to find interesting foreground elements, hah. Every since moving to Texas a few years ago I've been thrown off. In Idaho and Missouri I was similar to you. A short drive to very dark skies. Now it's further away, and I'm still trying to get familiar with the landscapes for what I could shoot. I will keep trying! Thanks for the inspiration.

SpruceBruce and Eye.n.Eye have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceEye.n.Eye
Happy snappin' 🙂
PreviousPage 4 of 8Next