Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Share Your August Photos! (2021)

Page 1 of 8Next

A cold front finally hit Minnesota, it was in the low 60s F, and the thick smoke temporarily lifted from the Canadian Manitoba wildfires. Got out to some river rapids and peatland near the border.  Pentax KP and DA 35 Limited F2.8, it accompanied my Yashica LM TLR.

Uploaded files:
  • IMGP0038.jpg
  • IMGP0026.jpg
  • IMGP0035.jpg
  • IMGP0020.jpg
James Warner, Beau Carpenter and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerBeau CarpenterGawadEye.n.EyeGreg Ritter

Incredible shots! What film stock did you go with for the TLR? Love the composition on the bridge shot. I always feel hesitant to stick in a foreground element like that. Also it's cruel of you to dangle your low 60's in front of all of us who live in Texas haha.

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Ever striving for minimum competency
Quote from Justin Tung on August 1, 2021, 2:08 pm

Incredible shots! What film stock did you go with for the TLR? Love the composition on the bridge shot. I always feel hesitant to stick in a foreground element like that. Also it's cruel of you to dangle your low 60's in front of all of us who live in Texas haha.

Portra 160, since I'm working with the 1/300 max shutter speed. I did get a ND setup for it now, that should open up more opportunities . It's been brutal here too.  It was 106 here last Thursday, our temps have been in the 90s consistently this summer.  So far in living in this state the extremes are insane what I've experienced, it's my fourth year.  In February 2019, it was -55F with a -63F wind-chill, I worked a engine starter change on a Southwest 737 at work in it, don't recommend lol.  Steam and smoke from the preservation oil coming off it!  This has been my Minnesota climate Ted talk lol.

Uploaded files:
  • DSC_0257.JPG
Justin Tung, Beau Carpenter and Gawad have reacted to this post.
Justin TungBeau CarpenterGawad

I was asked to take some pictures at a dance show for my friend's company, so I brought along the Fuji X-E2 with a Vivitar 135mm f/2.8 and a Minolta 58mm f/1.4. Unbeknownst to me, she had asked another professional photographer to come, who showed up with a Canon DSLR and some wide, fast Sigma zooms. Oh and there was also a videographer with an Arri Alexa. So needless to say, I felt like a mushroom in a cornfield.

I figured might as well shoot my shot (lol), and came away with around 550 images from a one hour show. I faced several challenges. Firstly, manual focusing for running, leaping, spinning dancers was much more challenging than I was really ready for. Secondly, I had issues keeping my shutter speed high because the venue had pretty dim lights. While 1/60th is fine for most shooting, moving dancers created so much blur. I know the Minolta could go down to 1.4, but I had to shoot around 2.8 to get good sharpness. The Vivitar had to be shot at f/4. Combine that with moving dancers, a slow shutter speed, manual focus, and effectively a 200mm focal length after factoring in sensor crop, I'm amazed any of the pictures were at all usable.

My girlfriend, who is one of the dancers, helped me pick through them, and in the end I sent about 70 images to our friend. We aired on the side of being over-inclusive to give her more choices.

James Warner, Beau Carpenter and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerBeau CarpenterSpruceBruceGawadEye.n.Eye

Nicely done! Those are especially challenging conditions.

Justin Tung and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
Justin TungSpruceBruce

I have definitely had the experience of showing up with a fun camera kit only to find others with high end equipment and feeling like a goof. My sisters wedding is a good example. I brought a Sony a6000 and adapted Pentax vintage glass while others had FF Sony bodies and lenses to match. I was reminded by family that it didn't matter and I should go out and shoot anyway. In the end her favorite shots were from me so I felt better. Would have brought my K-1 if I knew I was going to be shooting so much, but worked out just fine. A good picture is a good picture and has more going on than straight IQ 🙂

I have been gone for a week without internet. Family vacation. I mostly was documenting family, but I did some other shooting as well. Sorry about disappearing without notice lol

Kolari Pocket infrared camera + 720nm filter

IMG_9713 by Snappiness, on Flickr

IMG_9732 by Snappiness, on Flickr

IMG_9769 by Snappiness, on Flickr

Ricoh GR

GR420303 by Snappiness, on Flickr

GR420332 by Snappiness, on Flickr

Test shot on GR + 21mm converter on my new astro tracker mount 🙂

GR420385 by Snappiness, on Flickr

Pentax KP + DA* 300mm

IMGP1473 by Snappiness, on Flickr

IMGP1505 by Snappiness, on Flickr

Beau Carpenter, SpruceBruce and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterSpruceBruceGawadEye.n.Eye
Happy snappin' 🙂

Glad to see you're back!  I was wondering where you've been.  Glad to see you survived that Scarebus flight.  I had to poke fun, I hated working AA Airbuses at a previous job I had.  Seems like you packed quite a kit with you!  Where did you guys end up going?

Quote from SpruceBruce on August 7, 2021, 10:32 pm

Glad to see you're back!  I was wondering where you've been.  Glad to see you survived that Scarebus flight.  I had to poke fun, I hated working AA Airbuses at a previous job I had.  Seems like you packed quite a kit with you!  Where did you guys end up going?

Haha, well we had not-so-great experiences on American Airlines but not because of the planes themselves. Their kiosks were not working both there and back for adding child car seats and it involved pressing the customer service reps several times and long waits to get them checked. Seems like a simple normal thing and yet...

I brought the KP with just the DA* 300mm for wildlife, the Kolari pocket (very small) and Ricoh GR with the small tracker and travel tripod. In retrospect I should have just skipped the KP. The wildlife idea was fun but I forgot that when I do that at home I am hiking or biking myself. Because this was a family trip we were hiking at weird midday hours around naps and not very far. So not much wildlife opportunity. A lot of camera to bring for three pictures I ended up happy with. 😛 I'll remember that for next family vacay.

We went to a family reunion at a state park in Virginia. Stayed in some cabins. Beautiful area. Really enjoyed it. Glad I got to take some pictures, but mostly just for the family aspect 🙂

Justin Tung, Beau Carpenter and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
Justin TungBeau CarpenterSpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from Snappy on August 7, 2021, 10:06 pm

I have definitely had the experience of showing up with a fun camera kit only to find others with high end equipment and feeling like a goof. My sisters wedding is a good example. I brought a Sony a6000 and adapted Pentax vintage glass while others had FF Sony bodies and lenses to match. I was reminded by family that it didn't matter and I should go out and shoot anyway. In the end her favorite shots were from me so I felt better. Would have brought my K-1 if I knew I was going to be shooting so much, but worked out just fine. A good picture is a good picture and has more going on than straight IQ 🙂

I have been gone for a week without internet. Family vacation. I mostly was documenting family, but I did some other shooting as well. Sorry about disappearing without notice lol

Glad to have you back!

I agree, James Popsys has a quote in a random video I watched which stuck with me: "your image quality has nothing to do with the quality of your images"

Love that shot of the log and the ravine! Glad to hear that visiting family was relaxing, even if the travel logistics and procedures weren't.

Also, hue hue hue heron butt

James Warner and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruce

finally went out cycling shoot this morning and the camera came along of course so I took some shots:

2021-08-11 08.37.07 2 by abdelrahman abdelgawad, on Flickr" target="_blank" rel="noopener">probably my favourite of the day

DSC05412 by abdelrahman abdelgawad, on Flickr" target="_blank" rel="noopener">a random one

DSC05420 by abdelrahman abdelgawad, on Flickr" target="_blank" rel="noopener">and this tree I really like

soon I'll also be sharing results from my first film roll if all goes as planned:D

Justin Tung, Beau Carpenter and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
Justin TungBeau CarpenterSpruceBruce
Page 1 of 8Next