Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Share your April Photos (2023)

PreviousPage 2 of 5Next

Many thanks, the lens is an odd-ball, as these were shot using a Lensbaby Muse (paired with a Nikon D7000), a cheap way of playing around with tilt and shift (and rather a pain to use), but the soft nature of the optics suits some subjects and editing styles. Seemed to be a good match with the subject in this case.

James Warner has reacted to this post.
James Warner
Quote from JBP on April 12, 2023, 2:14 pm
Quote from Justin Tung on April 8, 2023, 10:06 pm
Quote from JBP on April 6, 2023, 2:35 pm

Love the photos, especially the last one!

Here are some of my April shots so far. I've been on a wildlife kick after getting my 300mm lens.

IMGP3519 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP3145 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP3451-2 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP2600 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

Nice! I love the third one. I'm amazed that you nailed that focus!

Thank you! Me too. Looking at the back of the camera after I was like "no way!" lol

Quote from Justin Tung on April 8, 2023, 10:24 pm

Medium format magic!

I don't shoot a lot of medium format, mostly because of the expense. It's hard to justify breaking out a fresh roll of 120 when I have so much bulk-rolled 35mm.

Some of the motivation for this is to use one of my favorite lenses, the 80mm f/1.9. Given how insanely fast 1.9 is for medium format, it's got a very unique look both because of its speed and its age.

I will say that it is insanely difficult to focus though. I wish I had slowed down and focused better with this shot:

My favorite image was this one:

I feel like the focus "pop", the composition, the contrast, all came together. This was taken in a graveyard (see the other graveyard photo below), close to the back where plots were still being dug. So yes, I believe that the concrete box is a grave liner, and the bobcat in the back was used to bury it.

However, I was pleasantly surprised that I liked every shot I took on this roll!

I feel like that's the real power in the experience of shooting medium format. Rollei Infrared 400, this film, is about 10$/roll. That's surely a dent in the wallet.  It's just that nudge to slowing down and think. The expense forces me to be deliberate. Does it make me a better photographer? Definitely not. But does it help me take better shots than I otherwise would be? Maybe?

These are great, love that medium format look.

Quote from James Warner on April 11, 2023, 8:06 pm

Here are some of my April shots so far. I've been on a wildlife kick after getting my 300mm lens.

These shots are all AWESOME! Great work!

I do think I am going to bow out of medium format film. I really love my Pentax 645n, but the cost is hefty and film is really a side-side hobby that I only do occasionally. Still deciding on that. But I think I'll keep a 35mm camera or two but sell this guy, to simplify and continue my quest to reduce my collection to cameras I actually use often xD

Here's some shots this month on my Fujifilm X-T1 and the 7Artisans 18mm f6.3 lens. I am planning to make a video on this lens this month. It's terrible, truly. There's now way around that. But the effect is kind of cool. Very retro, full of flaws. These are all SOOC JPEGs.

Thank you! I look forward to your video on that lens. So bad it's good! You are right the flaws give the photos a neat retro feel. I bet it's fun to use too. Pancake lenses are just neat

Thank you!

Quote from James Warner on April 11, 2023, 8:06 pm

These shots are all AWESOME! Great work!

I do think I am going to bow out of medium format film. I really love my Pentax 645n, but the cost is hefty and film is really a side-side hobby that I only do occasionally. Still deciding on that. But I think I'll keep a 35mm camera or two but sell this guy, to simplify and continue my quest to reduce my collection to cameras I actually use often xD

Here's some shots this month on my Fujifilm X-T1 and the 7Artisans 18mm f6.3 lens. I am planning to make a video on this lens this month. It's terrible, truly. There's now way around that. But the effect is kind of cool. Very retro, full of flaws. These are all SOOC JPEGs.

Yeah, the expense is a real bummer... it's also sort of a bummer because while I have, especially at some points, been able to get consistent, I couldn't imagine taking irreplacable pictures on a trip or something and not having a digital backup.

A little poetic that you're so into the 7artisans lens though, since I approach film the same way- terrible, but I still like it because it's cool!

Ever striving for minimum competency
Quote from James Warner on April 16, 2023, 11:40 am
Quote from David Maynard on April 14, 2023, 3:05 pm

Happy Spring! I was able to get out shooting last week in Malibu with a magical sunset, and again this week in Santa Monica during a partly cloudy morning.

Fuji XE-4, 60mm Macro, Velvia sim:

malibu - 2 by David Maynard, on Flickr

malibu - 1 (1) by David Maynard, on Flickr

15-45mm zoom, Velvia, bumped up shadows in editing:

malibu - 1 by David Maynard, on Flickr

Playing with a new 35mm f2 prime, Acros+R sim, increased contrast in editing:

sm by David Maynard, on Flickr

Love that moon scene! Magical. The black and white looks really good! That lens seems super sharp!

Thank you!! I'm surprised at how sharp it is, it's the $200 cheap plastic version of the Fuji 35mm F2. Not weather-sealed, but neither is the XE-4, so I decided to just go for it. It's also great to snap pics of my 3 year old, fast enough to catch her running but also with some nice bokeh!

James Warner has reacted to this post.
James Warner

This past weekend the WEC (world endurance championship) which is one of the most important championships about endurance (like IMSA in the US) took part in Portugal and I have been super lucky to get a pass as media.

Here some pics I like from the event (just some, as I might have over 10K pics)

IMGP0791 by Daniel Gonzalez Aguilera, en Flickr

IMGP1460 by Daniel Gonzalez Aguilera, en Flickr

IMGP2746 by Daniel Gonzalez Aguilera, en Flickr

IMGP2160 by Daniel Gonzalez Aguilera, en Flickr

_IMG0708 by Daniel Gonzalez Aguilera, en Flickr

Sunday was THE DAY, they raced for 6 hours,

We have had access to the Race Grid for some minutes which was fantastic

IMGP3621 by Daniel Gonzalez Aguilera, en Flickr

IMGP3653 by Daniel Gonzalez Aguilera, en Flickr

And then..... ACTIOOOON xDDD

_IMG1043 by Daniel Gonzalez Aguilera, en Flickr

IMGP3941 by Daniel Gonzalez Aguilera, en Flickr

IMGP4346 by Daniel Gonzalez Aguilera, en Flickr

The Toyota's (number 7 and number 8 are the cars to beat, Ferrari, Porsche, Cadillac, Peugeot and Vanwall just landed in the championship but Toyota has been racing the series for years)

IMGP4585 by Daniel Gonzalez Aguilera, en Flickr

IMGP4739 by Daniel Gonzalez Aguilera, en Flickr

IMGP5121 by Daniel Gonzalez Aguilera, en Flickr

IMGP5734 by Daniel Gonzalez Aguilera, en Flickr

Portimao is a track with a lot of uphills and downhills, something very unusual in Europe,

IMGP5911 by Daniel Gonzalez Aguilera, en Flickr

Even being mid April it was very warm

IMGP6380 by Daniel Gonzalez Aguilera, en Flickr

IMGP6476 by Daniel Gonzalez Aguilera, en Flickr

IMGP6872 by Daniel Gonzalez Aguilera, en Flickr

IMGP7526 by Daniel Gonzalez Aguilera, en Flickr

Race winner Toyota Number 8

IMGP8239 by Daniel Gonzalez Aguilera, en Flickr

IMGP9195 by Daniel Gonzalez Aguilera, en Flickr

Car number 7 lead for a couple hours until they had some issues and ended up 7th or 8th overall

IMGP8219 by Daniel Gonzalez Aguilera, en Flickr

IMGP8081 by Daniel Gonzalez Aguilera, en Flickr

And podium finish (2nd) for the Ferrari Number 50 driven by 3 drivers one of which is from my country also and as I was going to send images to some websites and the Ferrari Spain Owners Club I was very interested in following the cars in red,

IMGP9468 by Daniel Gonzalez Aguilera, en Flickr

Once again, I've tried to post lite and compact. Sorry if you feel that still those are too many pics.

Br,

James Warner, SpruceBruce and Gideon Liddiard Photography have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruceGideon Liddiard Photography
My social media: https://linktr.ee/F1photo
Quote from Gideon Liddiard Photography on April 16, 2023, 11:46 am

Many thanks, the lens is an odd-ball, as these were shot using a Lensbaby Muse (paired with a Nikon D7000), a cheap way of playing around with tilt and shift (and rather a pain to use), but the soft nature of the optics suits some subjects and editing styles. Seemed to be a good match with the subject in this case.

That's a lens I've wanted to try for years! For some reason I've never picked it up. I think the idea of lensbaby lenses are very fun. I made my own sort using a hacked off minolta lens and a bike tube. It actually worked pretty well, just fiddly to use.

Then for their bokeh shape lens I made my own shape cutouts using black card stock. That was a lot of fun too.

Gideon Liddiard Photography has reacted to this post.
Gideon Liddiard Photography
Happy snappin' 🙂

Here's a few with my Pentax K-3III and Sigma 50-500mm "Bigma" I picked up a few weeks ago for a good deal (thanks for the tip, @jbp)

I don't think I'll keep it, but for the price I paid for it I think it works quite well!

Justin Tung, SpruceBruce and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
Justin TungSpruceBruceDaniel GonzalezGideon Liddiard Photography
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from James Warner on April 19, 2023, 1:33 am

Here's a few with my Pentax K-3III and Sigma 50-500mm "Bigma" I picked up a few weeks ago for a good deal (thanks for the tip, @jbp)

I don't think I'll keep it, but for the price I paid for it I think it works quite well!

I love that blackbird photo! They strike such dramatic poses, don't they? 🙂 I have heard that the Bigma's IQ can vary from copy to copy. I'm not sure if that's true. You got some great shots out of yours despite not having the IQ you're used to (relative to the DA*300). 🙂

SpruceBruce and Daniel Gonzalez have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceDaniel Gonzalez

Those are fantastic images James

My social media: https://linktr.ee/F1photo
Quote from JBP on April 19, 2023, 1:45 am

I love that blackbird photo! They strike such dramatic poses, don't they? 🙂 I have heard that the Bigma's IQ can vary from copy to copy. I'm not sure if that's true. You got some great shots out of yours despite not having the IQ you're used to (relative to the DA*300). 🙂

I really do think it's my conditioning towards the DA* 300mm that is throwing me off. I think for a budget 50-500 (wow!) lens, it performs very well. Especially at F8 and beyond. I'm just too used to my prime which happens to be probably the nicest lens I've used to date. Still.

I will probably try the Pentax 150-450 at some point. My hope is that for the 4x extra cost that it would be quite a bit sharper. If it's not that much better, than I would say this is probably the Pentax super zoom to get.

Daniel Gonzalez and JBP have reacted to this post.
Daniel GonzalezJBP
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from James Warner on April 19, 2023, 11:22 am
Quote from JBP on April 19, 2023, 1:45 am

I really do think it's my conditioning towards the DA* 300mm that is throwing me off. I think for a budget 50-500 (wow!) lens, it performs very well. Especially at F8 and beyond. I'm just too used to my prime which happens to be probably the nicest lens I've used to date. Still.

I will probably try the Pentax 150-450 at some point. My hope is that for the 4x extra cost that it would be quite a bit sharper. If it's not that much better, than I would say this is probably the Pentax super zoom to get.

I know what you mean. The 300mm has me wanting to use primes more in general. Again just anecdotally but the 150-450 seems pretty consistent copy-to-copy and doesn't seem to lose sharpness at the long end. I'd love to see it compared to the Tamron 150-600. Both at 450 and then the 450 cropped to 600 vs the Tamron uncropped. We feel like we're missing out on wildlife lens options in K mount but who knows, maybe the 450 is a superstar and we're not missing out after all. I never thought of myself as an optimist but maybe I am... 🤣

Daniel Gonzalez has reacted to this post.
Daniel Gonzalez
PreviousPage 2 of 5Next