Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Share your April Photos (2023)

Page 1 of 5Next

Kicking off the April thread with a return to Justin's half-baked film hour. More shots around the neighborhood with another couple feet from the bulk roll of expired Arista EDU 400!

James Warner, SpruceBruce and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBrucedenniscrommettJBPDavid MaynardGideon Liddiard Photography
Ever striving for minimum competency

Love the photos, especially the last one!

Here are some of my April shots so far. I've been on a wildlife kick after getting my 300mm lens.

IMGP3519 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP3145 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP3451-2 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP2600 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

James Warner, Justin Tung and 5 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerJustin TungKankRatSpruceBrucedenniscrommettDavid MaynardGideon Liddiard Photography
Quote from JBP on April 6, 2023, 2:35 pm

Here are some of my April shots so far. I've been on a wildlife kick after getting my 300mm lens.

Nice! I love the third one. I'm amazed that you nailed that focus!

Medium format magic!

I don't shoot a lot of medium format, mostly because of the expense. It's hard to justify breaking out a fresh roll of 120 when I have so much bulk-rolled 35mm.

Some of the motivation for this is to use one of my favorite lenses, the 80mm f/1.9. Given how insanely fast 1.9 is for medium format, it's got a very unique look both because of its speed and its age.

I will say that it is insanely difficult to focus though. I wish I had slowed down and focused better with this shot:

My favorite image was this one:

I feel like the focus "pop", the composition, the contrast, all came together. This was taken in a graveyard (see the other graveyard photo below), close to the back where plots were still being dug. So yes, I believe that the concrete box is a grave liner, and the bobcat in the back was used to bury it.

However, I was pleasantly surprised that I liked every shot I took on this roll!

I feel like that's the real power in the experience of shooting medium format. Rollei Infrared 400, this film, is about 10$/roll. That's surely a dent in the wallet.  It's just that nudge to slowing down and think. The expense forces me to be deliberate. Does it make me a better photographer? Definitely not. But does it help me take better shots than I otherwise would be? Maybe?

James Warner, SpruceBruce and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBrucedenniscrommettDavid MaynardDeleted userGideon Liddiard Photography

These shots are all AWESOME! Great work!

I do think I am going to bow out of medium format film. I really love my Pentax 645n, but the cost is hefty and film is really a side-side hobby that I only do occasionally. Still deciding on that. But I think I'll keep a 35mm camera or two but sell this guy, to simplify and continue my quest to reduce my collection to cameras I actually use often xD

Here's some shots this month on my Fujifilm X-T1 and the 7Artisans 18mm f6.3 lens. I am planning to make a video on this lens this month. It's terrible, truly. There's now way around that. But the effect is kind of cool. Very retro, full of flaws. These are all SOOC JPEGs.

SpruceBruce, denniscrommett and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
SpruceBrucedenniscrommettDeleted userGideon Liddiard Photography
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from Justin Tung on April 8, 2023, 10:06 pm

Nice! I love the third one. I'm amazed that you nailed that focus!

Thank you! Me too. Looking at the back of the camera after I was like "no way!" lol

Quote from Justin Tung on April 8, 2023, 10:24 pm

Medium format magic!

I don't shoot a lot of medium format, mostly because of the expense. It's hard to justify breaking out a fresh roll of 120 when I have so much bulk-rolled 35mm.

Some of the motivation for this is to use one of my favorite lenses, the 80mm f/1.9. Given how insanely fast 1.9 is for medium format, it's got a very unique look both because of its speed and its age.

I will say that it is insanely difficult to focus though. I wish I had slowed down and focused better with this shot:

My favorite image was this one:

I feel like the focus "pop", the composition, the contrast, all came together. This was taken in a graveyard (see the other graveyard photo below), close to the back where plots were still being dug. So yes, I believe that the concrete box is a grave liner, and the bobcat in the back was used to bury it.

However, I was pleasantly surprised that I liked every shot I took on this roll!

I feel like that's the real power in the experience of shooting medium format. Rollei Infrared 400, this film, is about 10$/roll. That's surely a dent in the wallet.  It's just that nudge to slowing down and think. The expense forces me to be deliberate. Does it make me a better photographer? Definitely not. But does it help me take better shots than I otherwise would be? Maybe?

These are great, love that medium format look.

Quote from James Warner on April 11, 2023, 8:06 pm

These shots are all AWESOME! Great work!

I do think I am going to bow out of medium format film. I really love my Pentax 645n, but the cost is hefty and film is really a side-side hobby that I only do occasionally. Still deciding on that. But I think I'll keep a 35mm camera or two but sell this guy, to simplify and continue my quest to reduce my collection to cameras I actually use often xD

Here's some shots this month on my Fujifilm X-T1 and the 7Artisans 18mm f6.3 lens. I am planning to make a video on this lens this month. It's terrible, truly. There's now way around that. But the effect is kind of cool. Very retro, full of flaws. These are all SOOC JPEGs.

Thank you! I look forward to your video on that lens. So bad it's good! You are right the flaws give the photos a neat retro feel. I bet it's fun to use too. Pancake lenses are just neat

Happy Spring! I was able to get out shooting last week in Malibu with a magical sunset, and again this week in Santa Monica during a partly cloudy morning.

Fuji XE-4, 60mm Macro, Velvia sim:

malibu - 2 by David Maynard, on Flickr

malibu - 1 (1) by David Maynard, on Flickr

15-45mm zoom, Velvia, bumped up shadows in editing:

malibu - 1 by David Maynard, on Flickr

Playing with a new 35mm f2 prime, Acros+R sim, increased contrast in editing:

sm by David Maynard, on Flickr

James Warner, SpruceBruce and Gideon Liddiard Photography have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruceGideon Liddiard Photography

My first upload of shots here, but C&C is welcome and appreciated.

James Warner, SpruceBruce and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBrucedenniscrommettDeleted user
Quote from David Maynard on April 14, 2023, 3:05 pm

Happy Spring! I was able to get out shooting last week in Malibu with a magical sunset, and again this week in Santa Monica during a partly cloudy morning.

Fuji XE-4, 60mm Macro, Velvia sim:

malibu - 2 by David Maynard, on Flickr

malibu - 1 (1) by David Maynard, on Flickr

15-45mm zoom, Velvia, bumped up shadows in editing:

malibu - 1 by David Maynard, on Flickr

Playing with a new 35mm f2 prime, Acros+R sim, increased contrast in editing:

sm by David Maynard, on Flickr

Love that moon scene! Magical. The black and white looks really good! That lens seems super sharp!

David Maynard has reacted to this post.
David Maynard
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from Gideon Liddiard Photography on April 14, 2023, 5:34 pm

My first upload of shots here, but C&C is welcome and appreciated.

I really like the color palette and darker look you went for on these. Fits the dying flowers mood. What lens did you use on these?

SpruceBruce and Gideon Liddiard Photography have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceGideon Liddiard Photography
Happy snappin' 🙂
Page 1 of 5Next