Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Share you September Photos! (2022)

PreviousPage 2 of 9Next
Quote from Jonathan Watson on September 7, 2022, 2:43 am

Hello all!

Here is a handheld photo I took tonight of the moon (as if you couldn't tell). I used my Pentax K-1 with my 150-450mm lens, at 450mm, ISO-200, F/6.7, 1/250s. I used Lightroom, as well as Denoise and Gigipixel AI. I'm fairly happy, given that it was handheld.

--Jonathan

That looks great to me.

I downloaded the trial of Photo lab 5 and am using it as a LR plug in.  The Deep Prime (sounds dirty).

This a huge crop @500mm ISO 2500 on a D7200. I exported to PL5 to just kill the noise of which there was a lot.

I slid the luminance to 100%.

Then brought it back to LR did a subject mask and sharpened it.  I am impressed,

Uploaded files:
  • DSC_6443_DxO-1.jpg
David Maynard and EckyH have reacted to this post.
David MaynardEckyH
Quote from doughnut.on.a.stick on September 4, 2022, 9:39 pm

Hi everyone!
Here's a little update for you all. It's been a few months since I asked this forum about which camera I should buy since I was moving. It's been a while since I moved and I am getting more and more used to this place. I also got a camera to accompany me with this new chapter in life. While I was sold on the idea of buying a Pentax camera from your suggestions, I now own a Canon camera. Before I even made a post in this forum, I said to my friend that I was considering whether I should buy a Canon Eos 40d. To my complete surprise, him and everyone in my friend group joined together to buy me that camera as a gift. I now roam the streets to learn my surroundings and also take pictures along the way! Anyways, that was way too much talking, here's some of the pictures I took. I hope you all don't mind some edited jpegs!

Beautiful tones and looks like wonderful memories - thanks for sharing! You have some great friends there!

Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from Jonathan Watson on September 7, 2022, 2:43 am

Hello all!

Here is a handheld photo I took tonight of the moon (as if you couldn't tell). I used my Pentax K-1 with my 150-450mm lens, at 450mm, ISO-200, F/6.7, 1/250s. I used Lightroom, as well as Denoise and Gigipixel AI. I'm fairly happy, given that it was handheld.

--Jonathan

Amazing sharpness and performance for hand held! And you photographed it nicely. A very natural looking photo of the moon.

Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from KankRat on September 8, 2022, 12:15 am

I downloaded the trial of Photo lab 5 and am using it as a LR plug in.  The Deep Prime (sounds dirty).

This a huge crop @500mm ISO 2500 on a D7200. I exported to PL5 to just kill the noise of which there was a lot.

I slid the luminance to 100%.

Then brought it back to LR did a subject mask and sharpened it.  I am impressed,

I don't know how the Deep Prime in Photo lab is different than the Pure Raw standalone package, but I was convinced enough with Pure Raw that I purchased it. I liked it just a bit better than Topaz's offering, though that was is also great and worth trialing. Really impressive what software can help with nowadays.

And that's a beautiful shot. About the same way I edit too. I also like to do a negative subject mask as well (everything but subject/what is directly in focus) and go heavy on the NR there. I then will also play with dropping sharpness, clarity, and texture sliders in LR. Sometimes adjusting those means adjusting exposure/contrast/saturation as well to compensate. Just for those super noisy files.

If you end up picking it up you can use my affiliate link in the description of any of my videos or here: https://bit.ly/DxODeal

I'm trying to work with them more because of how much I like their stuff. They also do have sales periodically, so if the sticker shock is too much you can wait for a deal. Wish I had a coupon, that would be cool.

Happy snappin' 🙂

Topaz was way too slow.

I used a trial for both and preferred Deep Prime in Photo Lab because it gives you control over what is going on vs Pure Raw. On the default settings for Deep Prime (which from what I could tell are what Pure Raw is just constantly set at) you can get some very fake looking images if you're not careful. Eyes that merge with eyebrows, or skin that is uncanny looking, feathers that look super smooth and lose all detail, stuff like that. Definitely more noticeable on humans. But I found you could dial it back a bit in Photo Lab to mostly avoid that stuff and still get an improved image. Sometimes the "Prime" option, instead of "Deep Prime" produced better results. I found it was much less likely to make people look AI generated and uncanny.

TL;DR: Highly recommend the Photo Lab version, gives you more control to avoid weird results.

Hello! I haven't been out shooting much the past few weeks, but made it out for a photo walk around the neighborhood today during a break. It was a fun way to get out of the house and connect with the neighborhood. I've walked on these streets so many times, but to walk slowly with a macro lens to grab flower shots is a totally different way to do it. 🙂

Here are a few quick shots that I grabbed, all handheld/high-ish ISO.

Fuji X-E4, 60mm Macro, Velvia Recipe

Sept1 - 1 by David Maynard, on Flickr

Sept1 - 3 by David Maynard, on Flickr

Sept1 - 2 by David Maynard, on Flickr

Beau Carpenter, SpruceBruce and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterSpruceBruceJBPEckyH

SpruceBruce, JBP and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceJBPDavid MaynardEckyHJonathan Watson

Deep Prime went a little too deep on this one.  It looks like portrait mode on an iPhone.  Am I wrong the preview looks pretty much like nothing  like what gets exported to LR?

Fake Bokeh.

Edit. Real Bokeh. took a second look at the original.

PreviousPage 2 of 9Next