Please or Register to create posts and topics.

September Photo thread! (2021)

PreviousPage 6 of 6
Quote from Snappy on September 28, 2021, 8:39 pm

Getting a kick out of two Sony A100's I bought on eBay recently. Both the same camera, one IR converted and one not. Some neat history behind the first Sony Alpha camera. I am writing up a post and a video for it, but who knows when I'll get around to making it. So many posts in the backlog lol.

Just walking around neighborhood stuff so far.

Perfect! I've noticed a lack of content on the forgotten Minolta/Sony A mount on YouTube.  There's such great glass to be had for so cheap.

Beau Carpenter has reacted to this post.
Beau Carpenter
Quote from SpruceBruce on September 29, 2021, 1:45 am
Quote from Snappy on September 28, 2021, 8:39 pm

Getting a kick out of two Sony A100's I bought on eBay recently. Both the same camera, one IR converted and one not. Some neat history behind the first Sony Alpha camera. I am writing up a post and a video for it, but who knows when I'll get around to making it. So many posts in the backlog lol.

Just walking around neighborhood stuff so far.

Perfect! I've noticed a lack of content on the forgotten Minolta/Sony A mount on YouTube.  There's such great glass to be had for so cheap.

That's pretty much why I got it. I mean, the sensor is nice, some of the tech is nice, but the big draw is the plethora of cheap Minolta glass. Pretty sweet setup for someone with LBA that wants to go crazy on a budget.

Beau Carpenter and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterSpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from Snappy on September 23, 2021, 1:02 am

@beau-carpenter

Awesome shots. The 5D is putting out some very classic photos. I am working on a piece for a while about all the reasons I think older digital cameras (and perhaps specifically with CCD sensors) are going to be the "new film". I grew up with film photos, but as I got older it was those CCD sensor cameras and the look just reminds me of growing up. Hard to put a finger on it.

And thanks about the owl shot. My goal first was just to get owl shots. Now that I have dozens I am trying to get more creative owl shots. So that was one where I intentionally left it further so I could get more of the environment in a frame. Only so many pictures of perfectly perched owls you can look at, haha.

@sprucebruce

Looks like a beautiful day. Beautiful colors. We just got a wave of cooler weather here in Texas, and those pictures look like the beginning of Autumn.

Thanks! I think that is a really interesting concept about the place of older digital cameras. In my mind it correlates with some filmaking trends of getting a "camcorder" look like the VCR camcorders from my childhood. I think that would make for an interesting video 👍

Last photos of the month for me! Our baby is due any time so I wanted to take a few portraits with flash, very happy with how these turned out, the evening light was beautiful and adding a little fill/rim/or key light with the FlashQ 20ii through diffusion worked well.

Canon 5D 200mm f/2.8

_MG_0042 by Beau Carpenter, on Flickr

_MG_0079 by Beau Carpenter, on Flickr

Canon 5D 35mm f/1.4

_MG_0060 by Beau Carpenter, on Flickr

_MG_0070 by Beau Carpenter, on Flickr

KankRat, SpruceBruce and Gawad have reacted to this post.
KankRatSpruceBruceGawad
Quote from Beau Carpenter on October 1, 2021, 12:36 pm

@beau-carpenter

Awesome shots. The 5D is putting out some very classic photos. I am working on a piece for a while about all the reasons I think older digital cameras (and perhaps specifically with CCD sensors) are going to be the "new film". I grew up with film photos, but as I got older it was those CCD sensor cameras and the look just reminds me of growing up. Hard to put a finger on it.

And thanks about the owl shot. My goal first was just to get owl shots. Now that I have dozens I am trying to get more creative owl shots. So that was one where I intentionally left it further so I could get more of the environment in a frame. Only so many pictures of perfectly perched owls you can look at, haha.

@sprucebruce

Looks like a beautiful day. Beautiful colors. We just got a wave of cooler weather here in Texas, and those pictures look like the beginning of Autumn.

Thanks! I think that is a really interesting concept about the place of older digital cameras. In my mind it correlates with some filmaking trends of getting a "camcorder" look like the VCR camcorders from my childhood. I think that would make for an interesting video 👍

Last photos of the month for me! Our baby is due any time so I wanted to take a few portraits with flash, very happy with how these turned out, the evening light was beautiful and adding a little fill/rim/or key light with the FlashQ 20ii through diffusion worked well.

Canon 5D 200mm f/2.8

Canon 5D 35mm f/1.4

Beautiful portraiture!  I bet you’re excited for the day to happen so soon!

@beau-carpenter

@sprucebruce

Canon 5D 200mm f/2.8

Canon 5D 35mm f/1.4

Congrats. That is a very exciting time. I loved it with both our kiddos.

Those pictures are fantastic! I would be thrilled with them. That gives me the inspiration to try the same thing out. Portraits in golden hour with a fill flash. Great work.

Happy snappin' 🙂

@beau-carpenter

@sprucebruce

Canon 5D 200mm f/2.8

Canon 5D 35mm f/1.4

some great shots and wonderful news congratulations to you and good luck ♥️♥️

Late post on this.  I got one of my shots in the Outdoor column in the Chicago Suntimes.

Chicago firefighters who strung fishing rods for kids, the late Fred Bear on “respect,” a goldfinch at Little Red Schoolhouse NC, and a comment on hours per Chinook caught are among the notes from around Chicago outdoors and beyond. - Chicago Sun-Times (suntimes.com)

The Forest Preserve District in the county that I live in has a photo contest for their annual calendar.  My American White pelican shot got in.  Pelicans in the past have not been real common in the Chicago area.  I have been seeing more as they pass thru.

Facebook

I thought some of the honorable mentions were pretty great.  But I think some of the best would not have fit the format (aspect ratio) of the calendar.

Facebook

PreviousPage 6 of 6