Please or Register to create posts and topics.

September Photo thread! (2021)

PreviousPage 4 of 6Next

went on a walk this morning and decided to only grab my compact cam to stay light

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_20210914_201517.jpg
  • IMG_20210914_201343.jpg
  • IMG_20210914_080148.jpg
  • P1010131.JPG
Tristan Carlos, Justin Tung and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
Tristan CarlosJustin TungSpruceBruce
Quote from Gawad on September 14, 2021, 6:24 pm

went on a walk this morning and decided to only grab my compact cam to stay light

Nice! I really dig the second to last shot. I feel like the shadows give the image a lot of depth.

SpruceBruce and Gawad have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceGawad
Ever striving for minimum competency

My LX100 II walking around Toronto.

Uploaded files:
  • 01121655.jpg
  • 01121656.jpg
  • 01121659.jpg
  • 01121637.jpg
  • 01121657-1.jpg
James Warner, Justin Tung and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerJustin TungBeau CarpenterGawad
Quote from SpruceBruce on September 16, 2021, 1:29 pm

My LX100 II walking around Toronto.

Close up Bokeh on that lens in B&W is *chef's kiss*

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce

I'd been sitting on two rolls of cine film, one roll of Kodak Vision3 500T, and one roll of Fuji Eterna 250D. I've been wanting to do some low light stuff recently, and these higher speed films gave me the perfect excuse to do it. I know 250 isn't "high speed", but considering the last time I went to take night shots I was effectively using 50 iso film, 250 felt like an absolute luxury.

This was also my first time developing film with remjet. These two rolls were the 8th and 9th roll I'm getting out of this half of a kit, and I didn't mind contaminating the chemicals with a little residual remjet. I used a solution of baking soda and washing soda to wash it off first, but there was still a bit left on the reels at the end for me to rub off. No biggie though.

Uploaded files:
  • Random-9.jpg
  • Random-12.jpg
  • Random-25.jpg
  • Random-6.jpg
  • Random-17.jpg
SpruceBruceGawad
Quote from Justin Tung on September 18, 2021, 9:12 pm

I'd been sitting on two rolls of cine film, one roll of Kodak Vision3 500T, and one roll of Fuji Eterna 250D. I've been wanting to do some low light stuff recently, and these higher speed films gave me the perfect excuse to do it. I know 250 isn't "high speed", but considering the last time I went to take night shots I was effectively using 50 iso film, 250 felt like an absolute luxury.

This was also my first time developing film with remjet. These two rolls were the 8th and 9th roll I'm getting out of this half of a kit, and I didn't mind contaminating the chemicals with a little residual remjet. I used a solution of baking soda and washing soda to wash it off first, but there was still a bit left on the reels at the end for me to rub off. No biggie though.

Man, you've really gotten into some cool film and film processes. I didn't even realize this was a thing. I had to Google it - people roll these films up for 35mm? That's not what they are originally for, right? Great results. Really fun project.

Justin Tung, Beau Carpenter and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
Justin TungBeau CarpenterSpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂

I shot this portrait of my son Friday night.  A storm is rolling in. If it were not obscured by clouds, the sun would be blaring in the background.  There is little ambient light in front him. He would be pretty much backlit.

This pic would not look nearly as nice had I not used fill flash.

So I took the camera off auto ISO and set it to base (actually 125 as opposed to 100 not sure why) and determined the proper exposure for the background.   Then I used my flash on a remote cord, held up way above my left shoulder by my other boy who is 6'2" .Remember, you have to use a sync speed your camera can handle usually 250 or less.

The idea is that you don't know a flash was used, but I think it looks cool even if it's obvious.  It's do-able with a pop up flash, you can make amazing pics.

Uploaded files:
  • DSC_1169.jpg
James Warner, Beau Carpenter and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerBeau CarpenterSpruceBruceGawad

To add.  Gear used. Nikon D7200, refurbed from Nikon $600. Nikon SB800 flash discontinued in 2009, I think. Every bit as good as 900 and 910, purchased in 2017 mint with all the goodies $150. Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, $150-ish used mint condition. Nikon SC- something- something TTL flash cord used mint, $40.

You can get involved with a flash for far less with endless experimentation. Just make sure the hotshoe is compatible. I don't know much about them but I hear Godox makes cool affordable stuff.

Justin Tung, Beau Carpenter and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
Justin TungBeau CarpenterSpruceBruceGawad
Quote from KankRat on September 20, 2021, 12:05 am

I shot this portrait of my son Friday night.  A storm is rolling in. If it were not obscured by clouds, the sun would be blaring in the background.  There is little ambient light in front him. He would be pretty much backlit.

This pic would not look nearly as nice had I not used fill flash.

So I took the camera off auto ISO and set it to base (actually 125 as opposed to 100 not sure why) and determined the proper exposure for the background.   Then I used my flash on a remote cord, held up way above my left shoulder by my other boy who is 6'2" .Remember, you have to use a sync speed your camera can handle usually 250 or less.

The idea is that you don't know a flash was used, but I think it looks cool even if it's obvious.  It's do-able with a pop up flash, you can make amazing pics.

Exposed perfectly in my eyes. I agree, you can’t tell a flash was used (in a good way). I see a lot of amateur portrait photographers overdo the fill and the background gets too dark and it’s not a great look in my opinion. Then again, I’m even more of an amateur and flash usually scares me so what do I know 😀

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from Snappy on September 19, 2021, 1:21 am
Quote from Justin Tung on September 18, 2021, 9:12 pm

Man, you've really gotten into some cool film and film processes. I didn't even realize this was a thing. I had to Google it - people roll these films up for 35mm? That's not what they are originally for, right? Great results. Really fun project.

So I started off developing with Caffenol because I didn't know how into home development I'd be, and didn't want to drop a ton of cash on chems. But more to the point, I met a guy on Reddit who runs and Etsy shop and sent me a ton of respooled stuff, mostly cine films and ultra-low ISO stuff like what I shot during the winter storm.

The Kodak Vision3 and Fuji Eterna are both motion picture films though. Getting it this way is probably nominally cheaper than buying cine films as Cinestill, but you have to deal with the remjet yourself.

SpruceBruceGawad
PreviousPage 4 of 6Next