Please or Register to create posts and topics.

September Photo thread! (2021)

PreviousPage 3 of 6Next
Quote from Justin Tung on September 9, 2021, 8:51 pm
Quote from Gawad on September 9, 2021, 6:45 pm

Woohoo! always exciting to see results, especially from your first roll! I started off shooting a ton of expired film, and while I'm glad I did it to get my feet wet, there were a lot of things which were really frustrating about it, chiefly the inconsistent results. Every roll I get back, I feel like there's something I clearly have to learn haha.

I'm definitely considering shooting fresh film but I think it'll be a while until I shoot my second roll considering the price of film and its development here

Quote from SpruceBruce on September 9, 2021, 11:00

Was this when you were in Alexandria Egypt if I recall right?  Very cool!

oh I actually live in egypt so this was another time in the museum in cairo which is the capital here.(also the museum has a lovely vibe that really fits film photography imo but could use a high sensitivity film I guess)

this reminds me I actually had a couple shots on that roll from alexandria too (not sure whether those are light leaks from the camera or if that's due to something with the development)

Uploaded files:
  • Abdelrahman005.jpg
  • IMG_20210911_193526_072.jpg
SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Quote from SpruceBruce on September 11, 2021, 10:11 pm
Quote from Justin Tung on September 11, 2021, 9:56 pm
Quote from SpruceBruce on September 11, 2021, 8:02 pm

Some first photos out of my Yashica Fx-D Quartz yard sale salvage project, paired with the Yashica YUS 28mm F2.8, and my first time shooting Kodak Ultramax 400. I love the look of this film stock, it's quickly becoming one of my CN stocks.

I've never shot non-expired Ultramax, but I'm really digging the saturation you're getting from it! Especially those greens through the window on the last shot.

Unfortunately it's being really marked up by Kodak, it's 18.49 a 3 pack.  It's ashame it's such a great film stock that could be had for so cheap when I first got into film photography.

18$ for a 3 pack makes 6$ per roll, which really isn't bad especially if they're 36 exposure. I literally paid like 15$ for a roll of Portra 400 the other day, but justified it by putting it in my half-frame, so I'll probably get like 80 shots out of that sucker.

James Warner has reacted to this post.
James Warner
Ever striving for minimum competency
Quote from Gawad on September 12, 2021, 2:35 am

Woohoo! always exciting to see results, especially from your first roll! I started off shooting a ton of expired film, and while I'm glad I did it to get my feet wet, there were a lot of things which were really frustrating about it, chiefly the inconsistent results. Every roll I get back, I feel like there's something I clearly have to learn haha.

I'm definitely considering shooting fresh film but I think it'll be a while until I shoot my second roll considering the price of film and its development here

Yeah, the price can definitely be prohibitive, and it makes a lot of sense to shoot expired film if that's what you have, or can find for super cheap. A lot of people go out and buy expired film though, sometimes even at a premium for the vintage tonezz. Nice shots by the water too! I've found that color shifts are pretty par for the course with expired film.

Gawad has reacted to this post.
Gawad
Ever striving for minimum competency
Quote from Gawad on September 12, 2021, 2:43 am

oh I actually live in egypt so this was another time in the museum in cairo which is the capital here.(also the museum has a lovely vibe that really fits film photography imo but could use a high sensitivity film I guess)

this reminds me I actually had a couple shots on that roll from alexandria too (not sure whether those are light leaks from the camera or if that's due to something with the development)

@Gawad I’d check your light seals on your door make sure they’re not degraded and melted if they’re foam, also I’m not sure if the desert environment is conducive to expired film.  Since it’s best to cold store it. Do you have Pro Image 100 available in Egypt? It’s supposed to be able to handle heat better, and it’s a cheap stock.  I’ve yet to shoot it, but would like too.

@justintung Just venting since I paid $13 for my first pack six months ago.  Just can’t believe how quickly it inflated in such a short span, but I understand that’s it’s very expensive to manufacture.  Shoulda bought more.

@james-warner-b  Did you luck out and see any Grizzlies? That’s the dream wildlife shot for me.  Also Scarebus alert lol!

James Warner, Justin Tung and Gawad have reacted to this post.
James WarnerJustin TungGawad
Quote from SpruceBruce on September 12, 2021, 8:23 pm

@james-warner-b  Did you luck out and see any Grizzlies? That’s the dream wildlife shot for me.  Also Scarebus alert lol!

Yes, we got lucky and saw one young bear of some kind right off the side of the road. Unfortunately, the combination of shooting out of a moving car (park rangers were moving everyone along) and using a combination for the first time that turned out to have unreliable AF (K-1 + HD DA 1.4x + DA* 300mm) means I got several totally blurry shots. 🙂 Still cool to see in person, and I just had to put down the camera and enjoy the chaos of the moment. (Tourists getting out of their cars and park rangers yelling at them to get back in).

We were especially lucky given we only spent about an hour in the park. The trip was really to visit with family and playing with kids and grandparents. I'd love to go back and spend more time exploring as an adult doing adult hikes xD But it was awesome nonetheless.

Uploaded files:
  • IMGP2106.jpg
Justin Tung, SpruceBruce and Gawad have reacted to this post.
Justin TungSpruceBruceGawad
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from Justin Tung on September 12, 2021, 4:30 pm
Quote from Gawad on September 12, 2021, 2:35 am

Yeah, the price can definitely be prohibitive, and it makes a lot of sense to shoot expired film if that's what you have, or can find for super cheap. A lot of people go out and buy expired film though, sometimes even at a premium for the vintage tonezz. Nice shots by the water too! I've found that color shifts are pretty par for the course with expired film.

oh I don't think I can ever justify going out of my way to get expired film for its look but I guess art is subjective so it might make sense to others but I really think I will be getting a fresh roll next time.

also thank you so much I'm glad you liked them 😀

Justin Tung has reacted to this post.
Justin Tung
Quote from SpruceBruce on September 12, 2021, 8:23 pm
Quote from Gawad on September 12, 2021, 2:43 am

@Gawad I’d check your light seals on your door make sure they’re not degraded and melted if they’re foam, also I’m not sure if the desert environment is conducive to expired film.  Since it’s best to cold store it. Do you have Pro Image 100 available in Egypt? It’s supposed to be able to handle heat better, and it’s a cheap stock.  I’ve yet to shoot it, but would like too.

@justintung Just venting since I paid $13 for my first pack six months ago.  Just can’t believe how quickly it inflated in such a short span, but I understand that’s it’s very expensive to manufacture.  Shoulda bought more.

to be fair I didn't know anything about the history of the film like its expirey date or how it was stored so that's on me but actually the weather in my city isn't that bad honestly as it's close to the coast.

sadly however getting film here depends on the small stock independent studios get and they hardly ever get pro image for some reason and whenever they do it's sold up quickly.

Justin Tung and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
Justin TungSpruceBruce

I’ve been up in Canuck land for work! Minus the shot of the thunderstorm clouds my flight crew were weaving around in South Florida this morning . Downtown Toronto and an Air Inuit 737 that caught my eye in Montreal.  If you’re a plane nut like me, that’s a dinosaur 737-200 (started manufacturing in 1968) that can land on unpaved gravel strips in the Arctic, it’s also half cargo/half passenger.  Very cool piece of machinery, uses a vortex dissipator blowing engine bleed air that stops gravel from being ingested.

Uploaded files:
  • 8A30E4A3-FAFE-44BC-9380-80C6DFDD90A3.jpeg
  • 81EE4082-B1F5-4FF0-AB3C-DF7625B10E51.jpeg
  • FFBB22C0-BBBB-425B-B95C-30980749E6AB.jpeg
Tristan Carlos, Beau Carpenter and Gawad have reacted to this post.
Tristan CarlosBeau CarpenterGawad
Quote from SpruceBruce on September 14, 2021, 4:45 am

If you’re a plane nut like me, that’s a dinosaur 737-200 (started manufacturing in 1968) that can land on unpaved gravel strips in the Arctic, it’s also half cargo/half passenger.  Very cool piece of machinery, uses a vortex dissipator blowing engine bleed air that stops gravel from being ingested.

I’ll be the first to admit that went way over my head 😅 But cool! And great pictures! I admit I’ve never looked at planes the same after some of your photos/commentary. All these passenger planes looked the same to me lol

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂
PreviousPage 3 of 6Next