Please or Register to create posts and topics.

September Photo thread! (2021)

Page 1 of 6Next

I said I wouldn't do it. I promised myself that I would never go there again. I knew my heart could take it. But in a moment of weakness, (and wanting to clean out the freezer store), I shot expired film again. And I was.... pleasantly surprised. instead of being a majority disappointment, I quite like the majority of these shots. These came from a roll of Kodak Gold 200, and roll of Gold 100. Shot through the Mamiya 645 of course. Of course there's tons of loss of resolution, color shifts, limited dynamic range, but all together, it's definitely a vibe.

But of course these aren't without their problems. I modified a 220 insert to shoot 120, but forgot that 35 didn't have backing paper. The result of this is that many of the shots are out of focus. But having said that. I'm still done with expired film. These few rolls were the last of it, at least the color stuff. Nice to end on a high-ish note though!

Beau Carpenter, SpruceBruce and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterSpruceBruceGawadEye.n.Eye
Ever striving for minimum competency
Quote from Justin Tung on September 2, 2021, 9:57 pm

I said I wouldn't do it. I promised myself that I would never go there again. I knew my heart could take it. But in a moment of weakness, (and wanting to clean out the freezer store), I shot expired film again. And I was.... pleasantly surprised. instead of being a majority disappointment, I quite like the majority of these shots. These came from a roll of Kodak Gold 200, and roll of Gold 100. Shot through the Mamiya 645 of course. Of course there's tons of loss of resolution, color shifts, limited dynamic range, but all together, it's definitely a vibe.

But of course these aren't without their problems. I modified a 220 insert to shoot 120, but forgot that 35 didn't have backing paper. The result of this is that many of the shots are out of focus. But having said that. I'm still done with expired film. These few rolls were the last of it, at least the color stuff. Nice to end on a high-ish note though!

This is on the to do list eventually with the 6x7, cheaper than acquiring a Xpan lol.  Do you have to unwind the take-up spool in a dark bag to put all the film back into the canister?

I'm in San Fran for the next five days training some contract mechanics and rampers to work our cargo aircraft, brought my LX100 II and my Yashica FX D with me.  Day uno shots of driving the coast.

Uploaded files:
  • 20210902-221358424.jpg
  • 20210902-221252435.jpg
  • 20210902-221516337.jpg
  • 20210902-221330486.jpg
James Warner, Justin Tung and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerJustin TungBeau CarpenterGawad
Quote from SpruceBruce on September 3, 2021, 4:14 am
Quote from Justin Tung on September 2, 2021, 9:57 pm

This is on the to do list eventually with the 6x7, cheaper than acquiring a Xpan lol.  Do you have to unwind the take-up spool in a dark bag to put all the film back into the canister?

I'm in San Fran for the next five days training some contract mechanics and rampers to work our cargo aircraft, brought my LX100 II and my Yashica FX D with me.  Day uno shots of driving the coast.

Yes I do, or take it straight from the film insert to the developing spool in the dark bag. Another option is to get two sets of adapters and run it from reel to reel. I've had a blast adapting 35 to medium format, but make sure you maximize how your individual machine winds and counts frames.

Lovely shots of the coast! I personally struggle to find compositions in overcast, flat lighting like that but you're making it work!

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce

Probably one of my all time favorite photo’s I’ve taken.  Point Reye’s National Seashore 40 miles North of San Francisco.  If you’re ever in the area, make it a priority to take some photos here.

Uploaded files:
  • 739E8235-E4D7-4269-A0B8-339065B88A93.jpeg
  • 635F58C6-6F56-46C2-92FB-1F359AFDC750.jpeg
  • FD16CA65-DB3E-496C-84E7-632F56D7FDDC.jpeg
James WarnerJustin TungGawadEye.n.Eye
Quote from SpruceBruce on September 5, 2021, 6:16 am

Probably one of my all time favorite photo’s I’ve taken.  Point Reye’s National Seashore 40 miles North of San Francisco.  If you’re ever in the area, make it a priority to take some photos here.

Woah man, those seriously pack a punch! I wonder if this is the boat that Jason from the Grainy Days yt channel takes pictures of sometimes.

SpruceBruce
Quote from SpruceBruce on September 5, 2021, 6:16 am

I've been to Point Reyes.  Somehow missed the boat!  Nice work. The elk are really cool there.

SpruceBruce

Those are amazing @SpruceBruce ! Those would look really nice printed up. Once again, really nice B+W tones. You’re still inspiring me to shoot more B+W digitally.

Here’s two that I got to edit so far from the trip I’m on. Jackson Hole, Wyoming.

IMGP1858-1 by SnapppyPic, on Flickr

GR420579-1 by SnapppyPic, on Flickr

Justin Tung, Beau Carpenter and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
Justin TungBeau CarpenterSpruceBruceGawad
Happy snappin' 🙂

Sunrise this morning over Lake Michigan. View from Calumet Park.

Uploaded files:
  • DSC_0956.jpg
James WarnerJustin TungSpruceBruceGawad

As a collective, I'd say we have some great talent on this forum!  Enjoying all the content this week.

Some more California LX100 shots along the coast.

Uploaded files:
  • 20210904-224349226.jpg
  • 20210904-223429186.jpg
  • 20210904-224551261.jpg
  • 20210904-223326951.jpg
  • 20210905-201008925.jpg
Justin Tung, Beau Carpenter and Gawad have reacted to this post.
Justin TungBeau CarpenterGawad
Quote from SpruceBruce on September 7, 2021, 12:25 am

As a collective, I'd say we have some great talent on this forum!  Enjoying all the content this week.

Some more California LX100 shots along the coast.

I concur!

When do you decide to go with color and when do you go black and white? Do you chose the setting in-camera or in post?

SpruceBruce
Page 1 of 6Next