Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Ricoh GRIIIx - or, The New Hotness

Page 1 of 2Next

Well, I got a GRIIIx! From Ricoh USA, to be specific. They let me know when I could preorder, so I cancelled my preorder of a day or so before at B&H. I needed to get this camera into my hands so I could test the concept, that concept being... well, it's the ONLY 40mm (equivalent) digital camera that goes in your pocket. In that way, I guess it's a lot like a modern Rollei 35, or, to compare it with something that I actually own, a Petri Color 35. Pocket-sized, 40mm, f2.8. Those are scale focus cameras but I guess with snap focus, a GR is a little bit like a scale focus camera "on demand."

First impressions, the lens is scary good. It's better than the GRIII lens, with no vignetting, even more microcontrast (I'll explain that in a sec) and some nice bokeh when you can eke out shallow DoF from a 26mm f2.8 lens on APS-C. Noticeably more shallow DoF than the GRIII though, for what that's worth.

I usually used the clarity setting on the GRIII within the JPEG profiles, and I found it to be nice and subtle, unlike the similar features in many editing programs. However, when I set my normal level of clarity in the positive film JPEG mode on the GRIIIx, I noticed the effect more. I am chalking that up to extra microcontrast, where the differentiations between tones and shades are better defined, so clarity can give things that slightly artificial, kind of HDR-ey look that is so prevalent when adding it in post, unless you have a deft hand.

On to a few samples presented for your enjoyment. I haven't had a chance to get any really good shots as the weather on the Oregon coast has made a hard left turn, and work/school is taking up a lot of my time.

Uploaded files:
  • R0003020-2.JPG
  • R0002979-2.JPG
  • R0002975-2.JPG
  • R0002974-2.JPG
  • R0002951-2.JPG
James Warner, Beau Carpenter and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerBeau CarpenterSpruceBruceGawad
I ramble on sometimes about snap photography, photographic philosophy and equipment! Ye be warned.

Oh man. This camera has been on my mind a lot lately. I feel like I need to make the jump and do it, sooner rather than later. I love the 40mm equivalent focal length and the pocketability of the GR! I feel like this could be my go to. My 28mm GR is already pretty much my go-to.

Justin Tung has reacted to this post.
Justin Tung
Happy snappin' 🙂

I think it's going to be just the ticket. I love the 28mm GR, but at the end of the day, 28mm is what nearly everybody's phone cameras use (or until just recently). 40mm is a much more unique pocket camera, even though so many 40mm compact cameras were made back in the '60s and '70s.

Uploaded files:
  • R00031563.JPG
James Warner and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruce
I ramble on sometimes about snap photography, photographic philosophy and equipment! Ye be warned.

A single shot with minor adjustments.

Uploaded files:
  • R0003401-01.jpeg
James Warner, Justin Tung and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
James WarnerJustin TungSpruceBruce
Quote from agentlossing on November 3, 2021, 8:53 pm

A single shot with minor adjustments.

Wow. Stunning.

Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from Snappy on October 29, 2021, 8:12 pm

Oh man. This camera has been on my mind a lot lately. I feel like I need to make the jump and do it, sooner rather than later. I love the 40mm equivalent focal length and the pocketability of the GR! I feel like this could be my go to. My 28mm GR is already pretty much my go-to.

That's the boat I'm in, but with the price point it's at right now, I'm going to be first in line for the "wait for the price drop when the used market saturates a little more" club haha.

Quote from agentlossing on October 29, 2021, 4:38 am

Well, I got a GRIIIx! From Ricoh USA, to be specific. They let me know when I could preorder, so I cancelled my preorder of a day or so before at B&H. I needed to get this camera into my hands so I could test the concept, that concept being... well, it's the ONLY 40mm (equivalent) digital camera that goes in your pocket. In that way, I guess it's a lot like a modern Rollei 35, or, to compare it with something that I actually own, a Petri Color 35. Pocket-sized, 40mm, f2.8. Those are scale focus cameras but I guess with snap focus, a GR is a little bit like a scale focus camera "on demand."

First impressions, the lens is scary good. It's better than the GRIII lens, with no vignetting, even more microcontrast (I'll explain that in a sec) and some nice bokeh when you can eke out shallow DoF from a 26mm f2.8 lens on APS-C. Noticeably more shallow DoF than the GRIII though, for what that's worth.

I usually used the clarity setting on the GRIII within the JPEG profiles, and I found it to be nice and subtle, unlike the similar features in many editing programs. However, when I set my normal level of clarity in the positive film JPEG mode on the GRIIIx, I noticed the effect more. I am chalking that up to extra microcontrast, where the differentiations between tones and shades are better defined, so clarity can give things that slightly artificial, kind of HDR-ey look that is so prevalent when adding it in post, unless you have a deft hand.

On to a few samples presented for your enjoyment. I haven't had a chance to get any really good shots as the weather on the Oregon coast has made a hard left turn, and work/school is taking up a lot of my time.

These are incredible!

agentlossing has reacted to this post.
agentlossing
Ever striving for minimum competency
Quote from Justin Tung on November 4, 2021, 1:16 am
Quote from Snappy on October 29, 2021, 8:12 pm

That's the boat I'm in, but with the price point it's at right now, I'm going to be first in line for the "wait for the price drop when the used market saturates a little more" club haha.

I might try and pick one up around the holidays? Sometimes Ricoh does some huge discounts on their refurbished cameras. I remember the year the GRIII came out they sold some refurb units for $600! I almost grabbed one, didn't, and now kinda regret it. They have held a lot of value these past two years.

I am curious how many of these are being sold. They have sold out some places and then came back in stock, but that could be the generic "supply chain" issues and not indicative of the actual sales volumes. Anyway, the more sale the better for the used market later.

Justin Tung has reacted to this post.
Justin Tung
Happy snappin' 🙂

It might be worth bookmarking the refurb page on Ricoh and checking it obsessively. If I remember right, refurb GRIII's go for $699 usually, but I could be wrong and it's $599? Sweet deal. I am going to sell my GRIII so if anyone's interested, hahah... I noticed a lot of GRIIIs for sale used on eBay all of a sudden, more than I had seen pre-GRIIIx, so I must not be the only one looking to do a swap.

I don't really know how soon the GRIIIx will have any refurbs, but you could assume that a few folks will return their units purchased from Ricoh and those probably won't be resold as new, but as refurbished.

Quote from agentlossing on November 5, 2021, 1:09 am

It might be worth bookmarking the refurb page on Ricoh and checking it obsessively. If I remember right, refurb GRIII's go for $699 usually, but I could be wrong and it's $599? Sweet deal. I am going to sell my GRIII so if anyone's interested, hahah... I noticed a lot of GRIIIs for sale used on eBay all of a sudden, more than I had seen pre-GRIIIx, so I must not be the only one looking to do a swap.

I don't really know how soon the GRIIIx will have any refurbs, but you could assume that a few folks will return their units purchased from Ricoh and those probably won't be resold as new, but as refurbished.

Yeah they are 699 now I think, the 599 was a one-time thing that I think they realized they could easily sell for more haha.

The K3III starting having refurbs a few months after release. I think you're right that it's returns, but maybe some repairs as well.

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂

Some more shots from recently, just resized.

Uploaded files:
  • R0003707-01.jpeg
  • R0003747-01.jpeg
  • R0003746-01.jpeg
  • R0003751-01.jpeg
Page 1 of 2Next