Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Recommend a $200 DSLR for the beach

Page 1 of 2Next

I'd like to take a DSLR on a beach trip coming up next month rather than one of my expensive mirrorless cameras. Looking for a beater DSLR that won't mind a little sand. That doesn't mean weather sealing is required, but I do want something that's somewhat robust and won't mind being banged around a bit.

I was actually thinking about dipping my toes into Pentax for this one and figured this would for sure be the best place to get some ideas.

In terms of focal lengths was thinking a 50mm or 35mm prime and a 55-200 would be a nice combo. The prime for when we're walking around or relaxing and the 55-200 for when kids are running around like mad on the beach.

I'd look into a cheap used K10, usually they can be paired with either a decent prime or two kit zoom set.  Usually you can find these used well within your budget.  The older DA 50-200mm or non PLM 55-300 and maybe a SMC-M 50mm F1.7 would cover it pretty well.  That 10MP CCD sensor is very well renowned.  Especially, with Mr. Snappy himself.

dhendrix has reacted to this post.
dhendrix

Yep, I concur. If you're looking at Pentax for that price range, a K10D will serve you well. Weather sealed, usually less than $100, should last a good long time. I see much less K10D's with errors than Nikons/Canons from the same year.

I agree a manual M 50mm f1.7 for $30ish is a great lens. The newer DA 50mm f1.8 is plastic but autofocus and cheap. There's a used one on MPB right now for $52. Supposed to be pretty good from what I've read. Otherwise the F 50mm f1.7 if you can find one is very good and cheap with autofocus.

I am photographing with the DA 35mm f2.4 right now and it's awesome. I got mine for $50, but it usually sells used around $80 and can be had new for $125 or so. It's plastic, autofocus, and fantastically sharp. The best budget 35mm for Pentax I would say.

If you went the manual lens route you could also grab an M 28mm f2.8 for $30 or so. Get a little bit wider angle. Great little lens.

dhendrix
Happy snappin' 🙂

It must be that time of year, as I am in the exact same boat. I ended up grabbing a k-5 on MPB for €109, thanks in part the James's video about it, since the flash won't clasp. I also grabbed a 18-135, so I won't have to switch lenses, but may also end up getting a cheap prime to go it. It just came today, and is my first Pentax, and am super excited to try it out.

Thanks for the suggestions on cheap primes James, I'll take a look around to see what I can find.

@dhendrix I look forward to seeing what you end up with, and how it works out for you.

dhendrix

@trellis It's funny that you chimed in with that! After doing some research I am looking to go the same route! It will blow my budget by a little bit but the upgrades and advancements seem worth it while still keeping a relatively small budget. The body can be had for $190 USD, another $135 USD for the travel zoom lens puts me at $325 for a weather sealed travel zoom kit. The K5 is also smaller and marginally lighter than the K10D. Seems like excellent value for money.

Please let me know how you're getting along with the combo.

As a K-5 owner for nearly 10yrs now I can recommend that camera with confidence. Great handling and IQ, features like recomposing with the sensor are great for macro shots. There is also A/B shot comparison in camera when in playback which can come in handy. AWB tends to be on the cool side particularly for night shots but that's easy to fix in post as long as you shoot raw.

The only downside is the AF which can be a bit tricky but okay as long as you're aware of that and take your time. Live view is also a little dated on the camera. But for the price you can get it at these are minor concerns.

An alternative would be the Olympus OMD EM5 (I had this for about 6 months before selling it when I moved to Manila), I know you specified a DSLR for toughness but the EM5 is weather sealed and shockproof. I've seen these with the kit lens here in Manila go for less than 200USD in good condition. The IQ (especially Dynamic range) is going to be better in the K-5 as is the battery life; but AF, video and size would be better on the EM5

JBP, dhendrix and FradBoob have reacted to this post.
JBPdhendrixFradBoob
Kieran

K10d, K-7, K-5 are the three Pentax I would consider for $200 or less. The K-5 might stretch the budget a bit though. My go-to combo for this is the K10D and 18-135, both weathersealed. If I were shopping now for this purpose I would lean toward the K-5.

Quote from kcphotogeek on June 15, 2022, 6:02 am

As a K-5 owner for nearly 10yrs now I can recommend that camera with confidence. Great handling and IQ, features like recomposing with the sensor are great for macro shots. There is also A/B shot comparison in camera when in playback which can come in handy. AWB tends to be on the cool side particularly for night shots but that's easy to fix in post as long as you shoot raw.

The only downside is the AF which can be a bit tricky but okay as long as you're aware of that and take your time. Live view is also a little dated on the camera. But for the price you can get it at these are minor concerns.

An alternative would be the Olympus OMD EM5 (I had this for about 6 months before selling it when I moved to Manila), I know you specified a DSLR for toughness but the EM5 is weather sealed and shockproof. I've seen these with the kit lens here in Manila go for less than 200USD in good condition. The IQ (especially Dynamic range) is going to be better in the K-5 as is the battery life; but AF, video and size would be better on the EM5

The OMD E5 is a great suggestion. Small and compact is nice for the beach.

SpruceBruce and dhendrix have reacted to this post.
SpruceBrucedhendrix

i can vouch  for olympuses and panasonics quality of cameras and images. i just ordered a used panasonic g1 for like 40 €. well see how well it faires with some good glass. (as a micro four thirds shooter i have some)

dhendrix
Is that even street bro?

My gear came today! I am seriously impressed with the quality and condition of everything. It all looks brand new. And way cheaper than putting together a similar outfit for my mirrorless system even though I already have a body.

• K-5, shutter count ~8K: $188
  • DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 WR: $138
  • DA 35mm f/2.4: $89

Snapped a quick picture of the camera and lens, will report back after my vacation with some photos!

Beau Carpenter, SpruceBruce and 7 other users have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterSpruceBrucedenniscrommettkcphotogeekJBPgroverElmastrichFradBoobtrellis
Quote from dhendrix on June 21, 2022, 9:45 pm

My gear came today! I am seriously impressed with the quality and condition of everything. It all looks brand new. And way cheaper than putting together a similar outfit for my mirrorless system even though I already have a body.

• K-5, shutter count ~8K: $188
  • DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 WR: $138
  • DA 35mm f/2.4: $89

Snapped a quick picture of the camera and lens, will report back after my vacation with some photos!

Wow well done! Money very well spent. Look forward to seeing what you capture with it.

Elmastrich and dhendrix have reacted to this post.
Elmastrichdhendrix
Page 1 of 2Next