Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Rangefinder-style DSLR with a Leica Lens? Look no further.

A couple weeks ago, I stumbled upon an ebay listing for a Panasonic DMC-L1 while looking for a MFT camera, specifically a GX1, so I can use my LVF 2 with it. I haven't heard of this camera before so I researched about it and watched a couple of Youtube videos but there's really not much material online. Anyway, I manage to win it at a very decent price!

First impressions:

• It is huge for a four thirds camera. It is also lighter than I thought.
  • The manual dials are awesome. Very Fuji-like! Then again, this camera was released in 2006.
  • The viewfinder is not the best but decent enough.
  • The flash has two settings: bounce and straight on. Very handy.
  • I have dials, switches, and buttons for everything so there's no need to dive in the menu.
  • The Leica 14-50mm 2.8-3.5 is a REALLY good kit lens. Sharp, quiet, OIS, aperture ring..
  • It has "film simulations" called "film mode"

I'm looking forward to using it more!

Uploaded files:
  • P1030193.JPG
  • P1030194.JPG
  • P1030195.JPG
  • P1120038.JPG
  • P1120058.JPG
Beau Carpenter and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterSpruceBruce

I really like how that camera looks with all those buttons! I had never heard of it either. Cool find!

Film simulations sound interesting to play with. What do they have there? This last year I've gotten more into trying to in-camera jpeg effects/settings. It saves time post-processing, and it's just another fun thing to try.

The amount of physical buttons seems consistent with most older digital cameras I've used from that time and older. They almost all have an abundance of physical buttons so you have to do very little menu diving.

Love that the lens is pretty fast and the aperture ring is a nice touch.

Overall looks awesome!

Tristan Carlos, Beau Carpenter and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
Tristan CarlosBeau CarpenterSpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from tristancarlos on November 3, 2021, 10:40 pm

A couple weeks ago, I stumbled upon an ebay listing for a Panasonic DMC-L1 while looking for a MFT camera, specifically a GX1, so I can use my LVF 2 with it. I haven't heard of this camera before so I researched about it and watched a couple of Youtube videos but there's really not much material online. Anyway, I manage to win it at a very decent price!

First impressions:

• It is huge for a four thirds camera. It is also lighter than I thought.
  • The manual dials are awesome. Very Fuji-like! Then again, this camera was released in 2006.
  • The viewfinder is not the best but decent enough.
  • The flash has two settings: bounce and straight on. Very handy.
  • I have dials, switches, and buttons for everything so there's no need to dive in the menu.
  • The Leica 14-50mm 2.8-3.5 is a REALLY good kit lens. Sharp, quiet, OIS, aperture ring..
  • It has "film simulations" called "film mode"

I'm looking forward to using it more!

Fantastic! It looks like my LX100 mixed with an old Argus C3 brick, I can see the design inspirations in my current LX100 that drew from a decade later.  Is the EVF pretty big, or is it pretty standard with the Panasonic line of cameras.

Tristan Carlos has reacted to this post.
Tristan Carlos
Quote from SpruceBruce on November 3, 2021, 11:59 pm

Fantastic! It looks like my LX100 mixed with an old Argus C3 brick, I can see the design inspirations in my current LX100 that drew from a decade later.  Is the EVF pretty big, or is it pretty standard with the Panasonic line of cameras.

I guess I forgot to stress out the fact that it is an actual DSLR which makes it super unique so it has an optical viewfinder. The mirror flips horizontally. It is not that great to be honest but this is what you expect from a four thirds size sensor. The good thing is, like Pentax, it has focus confirmation for manual lenses.

Uploaded files:
  • A0826B27-6AF2-4AC0-B5E1-8519330134B4.jpeg
  • A505FB10-5E09-46D6-B0BF-B7A545AA72E1.jpeg
SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce

Good shots! I really like the look of that camera, it's very chunky and well-built in appearance.

SpruceBruce
Quote from Snappy on November 3, 2021, 11:14 pm

I really like how that camera looks with all those buttons! I had never heard of it either. Cool find!

Film simulations sound interesting to play with. What do they have there? This last year I've gotten more into trying to in-camera jpeg effects/settings. It saves time post-processing, and it's just another fun thing to try.

The amount of physical buttons seems consistent with most older digital cameras I've used from that time and older. They almost all have an abundance of physical buttons so you have to do very little menu diving.

Love that the lens is pretty fast and the aperture ring is a nice touch.

Overall looks awesome!

Thanks!

Regarding film simulations, I guess at that time (2006) the concept was not fully mature yet unlike Fujifilm's implementation. The film mode only consists of "standard", "dynamic", "nature", and "smooth" and a bunch of monochrome ones with different settings. It also have room for 2 custom film modes.

SpruceBruce
Quote from tristancarlos on November 4, 2021, 7:48 am

I guess I forgot to stress out the fact that it is an actual DSLR which makes it super unique so it has an optical viewfinder. The mirror flips horizontally. It is not that great to be honest but this is what you expect from a four thirds size sensor. The good thing is, like Pentax, it has focus confirmation for manual lenses.

There was another early DSLR that did this, and I can't remember now which one... Maybe an Olympus one?

Anyway it's cool because that's how my Olympus Pen FT half-frame cameras works too. Horizontal mirror flip.

Tristan Carlos and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
Tristan CarlosSpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from Snappy on November 4, 2021, 10:06 pm
Quote from tristancarlos on November 4, 2021, 7:48 am

There was another early DSLR that did this, and I can't remember now which one... Maybe an Olympus one?

Anyway it's cool because that's how my Olympus Pen FT half-frame cameras works too. Horizontal mirror flip.

I was going to point that out too, but the Pen FT actually takes a vertical/portrait frame. Does the L1 take a portrait or landscape frame?

SpruceBruce
Ever striving for minimum competency
Quote from Justin Tung on November 5, 2021, 8:37 pm

I was going to point that out too, but the Pen FT actually takes a vertical/portrait frame. Does the L1 take a portrait or landscape frame?

Unlike the Pen FT, the L1 takes landscape frame.

I think the other similar "rangefinder" style DSLR are the Olympus E-300, E-330 and Leica Digilux 3

Quote from tristancarlos on November 6, 2021, 9:17 pm
Quote from Justin Tung on November 5, 2021, 8:37 pm

Unlike the Pen FT, the L1 takes landscape frame.

I think the other similar "rangefinder" style DSLR are the Olympus E-300, E-330 and Leica Digilux 3

The E-300 has been on my list since owning the E-420. It looks pretty sweet. This L1 is something cool though. Dunno why I hadn't heard of it before. I guess I haven't delved into panasonics history at all.

SpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂