Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Questions about the Pentax KP

Hey all, I'm currently looking at emptying my pockets again, now that I'm once again dedicated to the Pentax ecosystem. I'm absolutely 150% loving my K-3 II and have basically no qualms with it... Minus one thing!

I work in video production and as part of that I'll occasionally be asked to shoot BTS if I'm not doing anything else. I'll get straight to the point, I need a camera with electronic shutter that makes no mirror noise. Does the KP in live-view, aperture wide open make virtually zero noise? I've been eyeing that camera since I got my K-3 II and I think this is the catalyst feature. Can anyone with experience with the KP answer this?

I can confirm the electronic shutter in live view mode on the KP doesn’t make any noise. The SR makes a teeny amount of noise, and then depending on your lens (old screw drives!) the focusing may make noise, but the shutter and mirror don’t. Obviously not the mirror because you’re in live view.

But going in and out of live view you will get the mirror going up and down, even if you leave it in the setting and turn off the camera, because it wants to put the mirror back down as it shuts down. So you’d have to keep it on and not switch modes to avoid all that noise.

HeggenDazs has reacted to this post.
HeggenDazs
Happy snappin' 🙂

Good to know, that might just work for me. I'm guessing with all the customization options on the camera I could also setup a user mode where it defaults to electronic shutter and live mode by default? That would be a real game changer.

Quote from HeggenDazs on November 3, 2021, 7:52 pm

Good to know, that might just work for me. I'm with all the customization options on the camera I could also setup a user mode where it defaults to electronic shutter and live mode by default? That would be a real game changer.

KP owner here. Yes, you can set it up in one of 5 user modes. I call mine "Ninja mode". I have to switch it to live view manually though because the KP has a switch under the right dial for OVG, live view, and video recording.

James Warner has reacted to this post.
James Warner