Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Prints, Megapixels, and Other Questions

I had my first prints made today. I submitted a series to a gallery to be considered to be shown and hosted for sale, and I was accepted. So I had my first prints made for the gallery. I was shocked by how satisfying it is to physically be able to hold one of your favorite shots and I am very seriously considering buying a nice printer to print more of my work. But that leads me back to some thoughts about gear. I couldn't find a really trust-worthy looking source, so I was wondering if any of you had a good source about how large you can print in the best quality for a given megapixel count?

Next; the cameras I own have an aRGB mode and my monitor has a 99.6% aRBG coverage so it seems like my workflow is capable of aRGB, so if I intend to print my images should I switch to shooting in aRGB? Would it cause issues for posting my shots to instagram and flickr if I edited in aRGB then output into sRGB JPGs for upload online?

It also makes me wonder naturally about how I should consider what a Foveon camera's megapixel count is with regard to prints. Should I only take into consideration the spacial megapixel count? Secondly, is there any other considerations I should be making when thinking about prints, does any other spec factor into the quality of a print aside from megapixels?

Gideon Liddiard Photography has reacted to this post.
Gideon Liddiard Photography
Quote from photography.cory on February 13, 2024, 6:35 am

I had my first prints made today. I submitted a series to a gallery to be considered to be shown and hosted for sale, and I was accepted. So I had my first prints made for the gallery. I was shocked by how satisfying it is to physically be able to hold one of your favorite shots and I am very seriously considering buying a nice printer to print more of my work. But that leads me back to some thoughts about gear. I couldn't find a really trust-worthy looking source, so I was wondering if any of you had a good source about how large you can print in the best quality for a given megapixel count?

Next; the cameras I own have an aRGB mode and my monitor has a 99.6% aRBG coverage so it seems like my workflow is capable of aRGB, so if I intend to print my images should I switch to shooting in aRGB? Would it cause issues for posting my shots to instagram and flickr if I edited in aRGB then output into sRGB JPGs for upload online?

It also makes me wonder naturally about how I should consider what a Foveon camera's megapixel count is with regard to prints. Should I only take into consideration the spacial megapixel count? Secondly, is there any other considerations I should be making when thinking about prints, does any other spec factor into the quality of a print aside from megapixels?

Feels great doesn't it! I have a Canon Pixma Pro 100, the biggest prints I've done from my old 6MP CCD Fujifilm Finepix Pro S2 is 8x10, personally I think you could even bigger. 

Paper type, dpi resolution of the printer. I always make my prints from LR exported TIF files for max resolution.

Check around your local Marketplace/Craigslist listings. I was able to get my Pixma Pro 100 for $20. The seller legit thought it was broken.  It just needed some TLC and the heads cleaned/realigned.  I print my favorite shots and put them in a portfolio on my coffee table all the time.

My prints are substantially cheaper once you get past the initial costs.  My 4x6 ones are around .18-20 cents last I had done the math 

JBP and Cory Maben have reacted to this post.
JBPCory Maben

I had four exhibitions last year, and I 100% agree, that it's immensely satisfying to see your work printed and framed, up in a gallery, etc.

JBP and Cory Maben have reacted to this post.
JBPCory Maben
Quote from SpruceBruce on February 15, 2024, 5:16 pm

Feels great doesn't it! I have a Canon Pixma Pro 100, the biggest prints I've done from my old 6MP CCD Fujifilm Finepix Pro S2 is 8x10, personally I think you could even bigger. 

Paper type, dpi resolution of the printer. I always make my prints from LR exported TIF files for max resolution.

Check around your local Marketplace/Craigslist listings. I was able to get my Pixma Pro 100 for $20. The seller legit thought it was broken.  It just needed some TLC and the heads cleaned/realigned.  I print my favorite shots and put them in a portfolio on my coffee table all the time.

My prints are substantially cheaper once you get past the initial costs.  My 4x6 ones are around .18-20 cents last I had done the math 

Nice find! I'm really jealous of that. I am far too impatient to wait for that kind of deal. I ordered an Epson p700, there is a $200 rebate right now, bringing them down to $629. I did a little research and the ink is expensive, but I don't anticipate that I'll be burning through it too fast.

I was amazed by the Sony A7r3 shots once printed. 300 DPI is so much higher than any screen I've ever seen and I was seeing a bunch of details I'd never seen before in my images.

Quote from Gideon Liddiard Photography on February 15, 2024, 6:11 pm

I had four exhibitions last year, and I 100% agree, that it's immensely satisfying to see your work printed and framed, up in a gallery, etc.

Thats great! Do you just submit to open calls?

I think for me it's now the definitive way to view/present work. It feels so much different than viewing them on my computer.

Congrats! that's awesome. Maybe you can share a behind the scenes pic once they're hanging up. 

I don't do my own printing beyond a cheap Canon printer and cheap photo paper for basic stuff. I've always outsourced for nicer stuff. So, I can't answer your workflow questions. But I do agree getting your work printed is the best way to enjoy it yourself and share with others!

Cory Maben has reacted to this post.
Cory Maben
Happy snappin' 🙂