Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Picks from the American West

Thought about throwing this in the August thread, but I felt like there were so many pics that I didn't want to derail the thread!

Wife and I went on a trip through New Mexico and Colorado. Brought along the Olympusflex TLR as well as the Sony A7ii, with the 40mm lens and a Tokina 28-200mm. Was never a big fan of zooms, since they have a reputation for being soft and slow, but while this lens is definitely slow (f/3.5-5.3), it is actually super sharp! It was also good to only have to bring one lens for those day hikes. A long, clunky lens that's difficult to focus, but just one lens none the less.

If you click into the images, you can probably see some dust, and that's because I swapped lenses a few times, and didn't bring a rocket blower. Plus, the zoom lens was a push/pull design, so it might have sucked some dust into the lens as well. However, all in all, I'm really happy with how these photos turned out! I think the two lenses work together well, so where I have to try pretty hard to remember whether a shot was with the zoom or the prime.

Let me know what y'all think!

James Warner, Beau Carpenter and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerBeau CarpenterSpruceBruceJBPDavid MaynardEckyH
Ever striving for minimum competency

I wasn't able to click the images but if I right click and select "open in new tab" I could see the larger versions. These are fantastic, each and every one!! I can't get over those landscapes... so beautiful. It must have been a great trip. 🙂

Justin Tung and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
Justin TungSpruceBruce

Oh wow, those are beautiful. Thanks for sharing @justintung. I've learned the same thing - that simpler setups are better for trips. The cost of juggling multiple primes and missing shots is much higher than any loss of quality from a zoom. And zooms are so good these days that I doubt anyone can tell the difference in a blind test.

Where is that view point with the Canyon? It's beautiful...

We have a trip planned to New Mexico in a few weeks. Going to hit up some state parks in Texas on the way out of the state, and then go to Guadalupe Mountains National Park and then Carlsbad Caverns. Should be good. Kids are excited so that should make it easier haha.

Justin Tung and JBP have reacted to this post.
Justin TungJBP
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from JBP on August 19, 2022, 1:26 am

I wasn't able to click the images but if I right click and select "open in new tab" I could see the larger versions. These are fantastic, each and every one!! I can't get over those landscapes... so beautiful. It must have been a great trip. 🙂

Quote from James Warner on August 19, 2022, 3:37 pm

Oh wow, those are beautiful. Thanks for sharing @justintung. I've learned the same thing - that simpler setups are better for trips. The cost of juggling multiple primes and missing shots is much higher than any loss of quality from a zoom. And zooms are so good these days that I doubt anyone can tell the difference in a blind test.

Where is that view point with the Canyon? It's beautiful...

We have a trip planned to New Mexico in a few weeks. Going to hit up some state parks in Texas on the way out of the state, and then go to Guadalupe Mountains National Park and then Carlsbad Caverns. Should be good. Kids are excited so that should make it easier haha.

Thanks guys! Yeah it was a great trip. I haven't been to Guad mountains, but for this trip we went to Petroglyph National Monument, as well as Mesa Verde, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, and Rocky Mountain. I think all or at least most of the Canyon pics are Gunnison? I'm sure your trip will be a blast, and whatever pics you take will be great memories for the rest of their lives too!

But about the zoom, it's a film lens! I had to adapt from Minolta SR mount to the Sony alpha, which is why I'm even more surprised at it's performance.

Beau Carpenter and JBP have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterJBP

Excellent photos, I like who you put together this summary. Having a collected work like this is a great way to enjoy photography.

Justin Tung and JBP have reacted to this post.
Justin TungJBP

This is such a beautiful, moody, vibey collection. I love it and envy your skills! It's a lot harder to take and edit a coherent collection like this than a few good shots.

Justin Tung, Beau Carpenter and JBP have reacted to this post.
Justin TungBeau CarpenterJBP

When's the zine publishing! Lol awesome content Justin!

Justin Tung and Beau Carpenter have reacted to this post.
Justin TungBeau Carpenter
Quote from Beau Carpenter on August 20, 2022, 1:07 pm

Excellent photos, I like who you put together this summary. Having a collected work like this is a great way to enjoy photography.

Quote from ahoyhere on August 21, 2022, 9:17 pm

This is such a beautiful, moody, vibey collection. I love it and envy your skills! It's a lot harder to take and edit a coherent collection like this than a few good shots.

Quote from SpruceBruce on August 24, 2022, 6:52 pm

When's the zine publishing! Lol awesome content Justin!

Thanks everybody! Yeah, I'm really happy that these photos feel like they belong together. No zine though, although I'm definitely interested in making some big prints!