Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Photos from Unique Camera and Lens Combination

I posted on my Instagram to see if people could guess the camera and lens that helped me take these photos. Here's the answer. Did anyone get close?

This is the Canon 40D. I bought it for $50 from a closeout used camera store sale. It handles nice, IQ is nice, and best of all the shutter sounds like you mean business.

Adapted is a Pentax-F 50mm f1.7 lens. Of course the autofocus doesn't work, but it has a manual focus ring. It also has a manual aperture ring, which makes it work great with a dumb adapter.

These photos were shot wide open.

Uploaded files:
  • PXL_20210629_161334095.jpg
  • MG_0340.JPG
  • MG_0344.JPG
  • MG_0341.JPG
  • MG_0320.JPG
Beau Carpenter, SpruceBruce and Gawad have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterSpruceBruceGawad
Happy snappin' 🙂

I had no idea what the combo was from looking at the pictures, but whatever you put in Snappy's hands will be used for some great photos!

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Quote from Beau Carpenter on June 29, 2021, 6:21 pm

I had no idea what the combo was from looking at the pictures, but whatever you put in Snappy's hands will be used for some great photos!

I suppose that is the greater lesson in it all. Doesn't really matter camera, sensor size, fancy lens. People have a hard time telling the difference in blind tests. As long as you can get a final outcome you like. 🙂

Justin Tung, Beau Carpenter and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
Justin TungBeau CarpenterSpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂

Exactly!

I was testing myself the other day to guess sensor size and lens focal length on portraits on unsplash. I think I was right maybe 20% of the time on sensor size, maybe 30-40% of the time close on focal length. Failing grades on both accounts!

The two things I learned are that I do really like portraits shot somewhere between 85-105mm. Not even so much for the compression, but for how it shapes facial features. And also that I need to focus on the basics. Lighting, composition, environment, etc.

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce

I envy your ability to isolate subjects and just get that right contrast level.  I need to slow down and refine my technique.  Like Beau said, doesn’t matter what you shoot with, understanding the process and technique behind your photography trumps the gear.

Beau Carpenter has reacted to this post.
Beau Carpenter
Quote from Beau Carpenter on June 30, 2021, 12:35 pm

Exactly!

I was testing myself the other day to guess sensor size and lens focal length on portraits on unsplash. I think I was right maybe 20% of the time on sensor size, maybe 30-40% of the time close on focal length. Failing grades on both accounts!

The two things I learned are that I do really like portraits shot somewhere between 85-105mm. Not even so much for the compression, but for how it shapes facial features. And also that I need to focus on the basics. Lighting, composition, environment, etc.

That's a fascinating exercise! I had never heard of unsplash, but I just went there and I can see how easy it is to view the picture and then the exif data. Do you sell there or just go there for the inspiration?

Next time I have a second I'll try what you did. I can't imagine I would do any better at all.

Quote from SpruceBruce on June 30, 2021, 6:00 pm

I envy your ability to isolate subjects and just get that right contrast level.  I need to slow down and refine my technique.  Like Beau said, doesn’t matter what you shoot with, understanding the process and technique behind your photography trumps the gear.

Oh, I wouldn't envy it at all haha. But thank you. It is cool seeing everyone's pictures and learning things from the different styles.

Happy snappin' 🙂

@james-warner-b Unsplash is really neat, it's a collection of free to use photos where people contribute and you can download and use for graphic design, social media, etc. Somewhat like free stock photos.

I have a few images contributed there, but it doesn't have any particular benefit for me at least. I think some photographers advertise their services there. I mostly check it out on occasion for inspiration or if I'm doing a design project for work.