Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Petri Color 35 - "Small-scale"

Page 1 of 2Next

I picked up a rather rare camera, the one in the title, a couple of years ago from a very muddy, off-the-beaten-path yard sale (more of an estate sale, really, for a hoarder who lived in a trailer in the woods - yikes). Not only it, but I filled up a box with cameras there, paid $40 for the lot. Sadly, virtually none of them worked or ever could work.

R0000385 by Andrew Lossing, on Flickr

R0000423 by Andrew Lossing, on Flickr

It was a scary place.

Fungus and mold had taken their toll, shutters were frozen, rust was present. But the Petri seemed virtually unscathed, except for the fact that the shutter didn't open. I searched the web and found that to be a fairly common problem, so I sent it off to a repair shop. They had it for a long time, mostly for virus reasons, but I finally got it back (end price almost $180, but what can you do), and it works!

First roll, Fomapan 100. This camera is scale focus, meaning guesswork. I didn't have the aperture closed quite enough for some of these, but I like the results anyway:

2021-09-02_12-30-50 by Andrew Lossing, on Flickr

2021-09-02_12-35-21 by Andrew Lossing, on Flickr

2021-09-02_12-36-28 by Andrew Lossing, on Flickr

2021-09-02_12-37-13 by Andrew Lossing, on Flickr

2021-09-02_12-37-58 by Andrew Lossing, on Flickr

2021-09-02_12-39-10 by Andrew Lossing, on Flickr

James Warner, Justin Tung and 5 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerJustin TungBeau CarpenterSpruceBruceGawaddenniscrommettJBP
I ramble on sometimes about snap photography, photographic philosophy and equipment! Ye be warned.

Second roll, the slightly unusual Shanghai GP3 film, which came out quite nice in Rodinal, I think.

Untitled (6) by Andrew Lossing, on Flickr

Untitled (13) by Andrew Lossing, on Flickr

Untitled (17) by Andrew Lossing, on Flickr

Untitled (32) by Andrew Lossing, on Flickr

Untitled (36) by Andrew Lossing, on Flickr

I thought the focus improved over the first roll. The lens goes to f22, but the shutter only goes to 1/250, so it required a bit of adjustment for me as I found I needed to shoot at a smaller aperture than I am used to, and watch out for camera shake and fast movement. It's a very fun little camera to use. Solid, unique (the focus is a dial that sits vertically on the top-back of the camera, and the focus scale is in the viewfinder, along with the meter, so focusing is an unusual process compared to most other cameras.

James Warner, Beau Carpenter and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerBeau CarpenterSpruceBruceGawaddenniscrommett
I ramble on sometimes about snap photography, photographic philosophy and equipment! Ye be warned.

I love what you got with that camera and those rolls! What a fun looking camera to shoot. And I would agree the lens seems quite good. The story behind how you got it is interesting - I haven't been quite as resourceful in my camera hunting as trailer in the woods hoarder estate sales 😁 That makes the whole thing so much better, though.

Looks like a nice working one goes for more than what you got it fixed for, though not a whole lot more, but still, that's nice not to be so far in the hole.

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from agentlossing on October 15, 2021, 5:22 pm

Second roll, the slightly unusual Shanghai GP3 film, which came out quite nice in Rodinal, I think.

I thought the focus improved over the first roll. The lens goes to f22, but the shutter only goes to 1/250, so it required a bit of adjustment for me as I found I needed to shoot at a smaller aperture than I am used to, and watch out for camera shake and fast movement. It's a very fun little camera to use. Solid, unique (the focus is a dial that sits vertically on the top-back of the camera, and the focus scale is in the viewfinder, along with the meter, so focusing is an unusual process compared to most other cameras.

Pictures of colorful peppers in Black and White? THE INSANITY!!

Just kidding haha. Love your BW composition!

Ever striving for minimum competency
Quote from Justin Tung on October 17, 2021, 3:18 pm
Quote from agentlossing on October 15, 2021, 5:22 pm

Pictures of colorful peppers in Black and White? THE INSANITY!!

Just kidding haha. Love your BW composition!

Hahah, good point! If I were any hand at developing color I probably would have dared to shoot with color film. Which reminds me, I have to tackle it sooner or later, before my color kit expires...

Here are a few more from the first roll, since the thread was lonely. I need to shoot more, my schedule has not been kind to film shooting lately.

Uploaded files:
  • Untitled-25-01.jpeg
  • Untitled-29-01.jpeg
  • Untitled-31-01.jpeg
  • Untitled-32-01.jpeg
denniscrommett and JBP have reacted to this post.
denniscrommettJBP

Soooo I've been wanting a pocketable film camera for a while, and so for Christmas I sprang for this! Compared to the price and ergonomics, and max aperture of Rollei 35's, this seems like a good, cheaper alternative. It looks like everything works, but I'm not sure about the meter since I don't have a battery yet. Will contribute to this thread when I get images from it!

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_1708.jpg
agentlossing and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
agentlossingSpruceBruce

Hey, I wasn't sure I would even get any company in this thread, neato!

Thankfully the camera works without a meter if needbe. I handled a Rollei 35 recently, and I think the build and controls are of similar quality. Some of the Rollei lenses are capable of slightly superior IQ, but I was surprised that the gap wasn't greater than it is.

Justin Tung has reacted to this post.
Justin Tung

I got a roll back! This is (slightly expired) Arista EDU 100. So the answer is no, the meter is wacky, but besides that the camera is fully functional! This was developed in D-76 at 1:1.

So I love the way this camera handles. The fact that it's a one-handed fully manual film camera is wild, but it's sturdy, and actually pocketable! The biggest concern I had was for lens performance, but looking at these photos, it's out-resolving my Epson V600, so it's sharp enough for me. I agree with you though, @agentlossing , I can't magine a Rollei 35's IQ being more than a little sharper. The bokeh is surprisingly smooth too!

James Warner, SpruceBruce and JBP have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruceJBP
Quote from Justin Tung on January 14, 2022, 4:52 pm

I got a roll back! This is (slightly expired) Arista EDU 100. So the answer is no, the meter is wacky, but besides that the camera is fully functional! This was developed in D-76 at 1:1.

So I love the way this camera handles. The fact that it's a one-handed fully manual film camera is wild, but it's sturdy, and actually pocketable! The biggest concern I had was for lens performance, but looking at these photos, it's out-resolving my Epson V600, so it's sharp enough for me. I agree with you though, @agentlossing , I can't magine a Rollei 35's IQ being more than a little sharper. The bokeh is surprisingly smooth too!

Amazing work! Yeah, no qualms about the lens. Great performance on those shots. Nice city shots. Fits the B+W nicely.

Justin Tung has reacted to this post.
Justin Tung
Happy snappin' 🙂
Page 1 of 2Next