Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Pentax Q

PreviousPage 3 of 4Next
Quote from HeggenDazs on February 26, 2022, 2:55 am

I didn’t realize there was an auto-focus adapter. I know the Pentax official one has a leaf shutter but I don’t think it has the electronics for AF. I got the fotodiox model that’s just all manual with no leaf shutter.

Oh, you're right. I just assumed it was AF because of how pricey it was. Interesting about the leaf shutter. I had just used a 3d printed adapter. That fotodiox should be nice and sturdy. It is funny because you'll probably end up needing to hold the lens rather than the camera with most lenses just because of how heavy the lenses are!

Happy snappin' 🙂

Speaking of heavy lens combos! Here’s a lens I tried to go out and shoot birds with before realizing the stinking f stop has no manual mechanism.. got home in time for the sun to set and the moment of shooting to be gone. 😂 I’ll get them next time.

Uploaded files:
  • 6CF03C58-A160-4ADE-B79C-D6AA5E960142.jpeg
JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP

here's a fun shot I took with the Q while fooling around with the backdrop stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/194253247@N04/shares/YDxh46

A couple things I'd say. The Q still has more resolving power than your run of the mill phone. Well, at least it's better than my iPhone 13 Pro. The Q can make some great bokeh, color and has pretty decent dynamic range. I feel 100x more confident in the shots that would come out of this camera than my iPhone. Plus, I just really like the experience of shooting a camera that's got a smaller footprint than an iPhone 4 (not counting depth, of course)

Yessss my Pentax Q is one of my favorite cameras! It’s absolutely superior to a phone cam. I think it’s probably the camera I have that looks the most like film. (At least in color- the Ricoh GRDIV looks very filmic in b&w.)

I recently printed an 8x10 from a Q image and could easily have gone larger but didn’t have the paper yet.

Full size. 

Uploaded files:
  • 9BA9361D-B974-4BB7-82F3-85A823A3EE50.jpeg
SpruceBruce, HeggenDazs and JBP have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceHeggenDazsJBP
Quote from ahoyhere on March 2, 2022, 5:19 pm

Yessss my Pentax Q is one of my favorite cameras! It’s absolutely superior to a phone cam. I think it’s probably the camera I have that looks the most like film. (At least in color- the Ricoh GRDIV looks very filmic in b&w.)

I recently printed an 8x10 from a Q image and could easily have gone larger but didn’t have the paper yet.

Full size. 

That's a gorgeous photo and super impressive that such a small camera can make nice prints that large.

HeggenDazs has reacted to this post.
HeggenDazs

That’s an absolutely beautiful shot! They are little wonders. I’m very impressed with my Q-S1.

Thanks, guys!

BTW I accidentally linked to the Photoshop Super Resolution version, but I printed the native resolution file. (However, it does scale up beautifully.)

I'd love to try a Q-S1 to compare, but they hold their value annoyingly well…

@ahoyhere I was very lucky to find someone who was parting ways with their Q-S1, 06 and 07 lenses and managed to buy the lot for $250. Mine is the bland black one but honestly I like it as it matches the rest of my Pentax bodies. I highly recommend the Pentax forums marketplace for buying Qs. Seems like they’re far more reasonable there than eBay. I’ll also say the Q-S1 is notably better than the Q in bokeh and low light.

Something about the Q system I've underutilized all this time is the flash.  Shot this at F2.8 at 1/80 of sex with the 01 with fill flash, and I'm impressed.  As per usual my Beagle living her hardest life napping...

Uploaded files:
  • IMGP8388.jpg
HeggenDazs has reacted to this post.
HeggenDazs
PreviousPage 3 of 4Next