Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Pentax Q and adapted D Mount Cine Lenses

Whilst awaiting the spring bloom here in Minnesota, I decided to just head out with my Pentax Q and a Yashica 13mm F1.4 & Elitar Soligor 38mm F1.9 Cine Lenses whilst walking the dog near a local glacial lake today, they’re nearly 72 & 210mm equivalent with crop factor.  I captured whatever caught my eye, it’s been a struggle to finally get to use this camera.  I acquired it in December, and the Minnesota winter’s subarctic temperatures didn’t allow my battery to survive at 10 minutes at best.  The lenses really suffer from chromatic aberration, and aren’t sharpest as a telephoto, but the compact coolness factor of it overrides any imperfection.  With it being screw mount, I was able to loosen and use the lens adapter akin to a macro tube.  Shooting them wide open, makes pretty impressive bokeh, and even sometimes achieves a Helios 44-2 effect swirl.  Who needs Full Frame for that sweet bokeh?

James Warner and Beau Carpenter have reacted to this post.
James WarnerBeau Carpenter

Even those distant shots don't look bad! Sure they seem to preform better for those closeups, but they have really good character. Very moody shots. I've always wanted to do this but the lenses I kept searching were way overpriced for my take. I think you have to be savvy and look for ones people aren't using or get them attached to a camera where someone doesn't know what they have.

Where are you finding lenses like that?

Happy snappin' 🙂

Generally just scouring eBay with searches for D Mount Cine Lens. I’ve found that VSSoutlet and Roberts camera acquire them occasionally. Once in a while a bargain will pop up that needs a lot of TLC, or is just a tad corroded or pretty banged up. I did pay a little more than I wanted on the Yashica, but it was in pristine condition. I’m amazed at how much a good condition lens can go, especially Kern Paillards or Nikon.  I’m finding it’s cheapest to buy a camera instead with the lenses attached.  I’ve yet to do that, but it’s consistently on my mind.  Yashica branded cameras seem to be fetching in the 40-50 dollar range.  I’ve been researching into shooting 8mm video, it’s certainly not cheap, but I’d think it’d be fun to make a short movie or two of a roadtrip.

Estate sales are your friend as well.  It’s that time of year when people are selling houses that they inherited from their parents and just want to empty the place without knowing what they have.  I’ve come across a few 8mm/16mm & 35mm cameras that were at bargain prices, but my girlfriend scolded me from owning anymore camera gear lol.

James Warner has reacted to this post.
James Warner

Fantastic! Luv that bokeh. That's the 38mm wide open you said?

Jason Szafranski

Yeah it's the 38mm at F1.9 and then I unscrewed a few turns back from my adapter if I wanted to make even more of a bokeh effect.