Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Pentax P3n

Why the P3n?

• Inexpensive! ~$30
  • Self Timer (Used instead of a cable release for slow shutter tripod shots)
  • Inexpensive K-mount lenses (So far have used 28mm, 50mm, and 135mm)

This camera has been my first experience with a film slr. Turns out to be a lot of fun and nice to use! The experience of looking through a nice bright beautiful viewfinder is so special and much nicer (in my opinion) than an EVF. Beyond that the challenge to practice visualizing composition and exposure without the ability to take test shots is very different than usual shooting. I think it has also helped me become more intentional when shooting with digital cameras!

Two big lessons I took away from my first roll of film:

• Taking time to ensure focus is a big deal especially when shooting at f2.8 on the 50mm. Had a few images that were not quite in focus.
  • Choosing film speed is a big deal! For everyday shooting I should have chosen something higher like 400 or 800 since I shoot inside quite a bit.

Favorites from my first roll of Portra 160 (Lab scans) Full images on Unsplash

James Warner, grix and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
James WarnergrixSpruceBruce

Very nice! Shooting film is so much fun. I have a p3n as well and it is a solid camera. Easy to use and no problems with the electronics like some older SLRs tend to have. You got great results, especially first time shooting. I still to this day get some missed focus shots when I am trying to do wide apertures, but you just do the best you can. Sometimes I'll take two or three shots just to increase my odds of one in focus, if it's a shot I really want.

Your note about the film speed matches my experience as well. I always buy 400 speed now because I shoot too much indoors to handle otherwise. If you know you are only shooting outdoors then you could go lower, but I personally haven't found it worth it.

Happy snappin' 🙂