Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Pentax MZ-6 with factory brass gear

Pentax MZ-6 with brass gear

The Pentax MZ series has a bad rep for breaking because of Pentax cheaped out on the mirror motor gear. These gears tend to break overtime rendering the camera unusable. However, I have read in Pentaxforums (which I have also updated) that MZ cameras made after 2002 have brass gears installed. See post 13: https://www.pentaxforums.com/.../347636-has-your-mz-6-mz...ย It was also noted that in 2002, Pentax renamed to "Pentax Corporation" from "Asahi Opt.Co. Ltd.".

2002 or later manufacturing date narrows it down to two models: MZ-S, which we all know is expensive, and MZ-6. I have decided to hunt for a copy with the latest serial number I can find... and so I did. Serial number starts with 6 and labelled "Pentax Cororation".

Is the brass gear on MZ series cameras a myth?ย MYTH CONFIRMED!ย See first picture. Just behind the big grey gear you'll see the brass gear.

If you are looking for a Pentax SLR that feels modern, with AF, 1/4000s shutter speed, very accurate metering, and reliable, look no further! Get a late serial number MZ-6ย ๐Ÿ™‚

Uploaded files:
  • photo_2022-12-28_21-02-35.jpg
  • photo_2022-12-28_21-02-35-2.jpg
James Warner, JBP and EckyH have reacted to this post.
James WarnerJBPEckyH

Awww yeah, nothing I love more than some Mythbusters! Nice find and writeup. ๐Ÿ™‚

Uploaded files:
  • confirmed.jpeg
Tristan Carlos has reacted to this post.
Tristan Carlos

Thanks! I just bought another one... with "Pentax Corporation" but made in Japan... and serial number starts with 5.. Someone told me that it has to be "made in the Philippines" but I want to see for myself.

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP
Quote from tristancarlos on December 29, 2022, 2:45 pm

Thanks! I just bought another one... with "Pentax Corporation" but made in Japan... and serial number starts with 5.. Someone told me that it has to be "made in the Philippines" but I want to see for myself.

That will be an interesting test as well. This is good to know! It seems like the MZ-6 is not as available as other cameras, but PentaxForums seems to think that the ZX-L is the same camera made at the same time, and seems much cheaper/easier to find. Have you come across anything about that in your research?

Happy snappin' ๐Ÿ™‚
Quote from James Warner on December 30, 2022, 3:12 am
Quote from tristancarlos on December 29, 2022, 2:45 pm

That will be an interesting test as well. This is good to know! It seems like the MZ-6 is not as available as other cameras, but PentaxForums seems to think that the ZX-L is the same camera made at the same time, and seems much cheaper/easier to find. Have you come across anything about that in your research?

Yeah the ZX-L and MZ-6 are the same. The ZX-L is just the name for the North American market. The only issue I have with the MZ-6 is that it has a pentamirror instead of Pentaprism like the MZ-3 / ZX-3 but it's not the end of the world! haha

Another cool upgrade is to get a split focusing screen from a MZ-M / ZX-M as it fits all MZ / ZX cameras.

Also, I opened up the aforementioned MX-6 with the following:

SN starts with 5
Pentax Corporation
Made in Japan

and the cog is made of plastic... so I guess Pentax Corporation + Made in the Philippines are the ones to go for. It was mentioned that some MZ-3s and MZ-5ns have brass cogs too (again with "Pentax Corporation" and "assembled in the Philippines") so now I am on the hunt for a black MZ-3 that fits the bill. ๐Ÿ™‚