Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Pentax MX-1 More Pictures

I wanted to share some more pictures from my Pentax MX-1 that weren't in my original blog post. Many of these are found in my video on the camera:

All are straight out of camera JPEGs. Both for a good idea of what you can get straight out of the camera, and because I am lazy and don't edit half my photos.

Pentax MX-1 Flickr album with more pics

Beau Carpenter and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterSpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂

Enjoyed the MX-1 photos & experience! On the note about these images being all out of camera JPEGs, I have a couple questions. Perhaps I'm a bit of a control freak, but I find myself 95% of the time or more only using raw files.

Would you say that you primarily shoot in JPEG?

Are there any particular advantages to shooting JPEGs other than time saving?

James Warner has reacted to this post.
James Warner
Quote from Beau Carpenter on February 25, 2021, 1:03 am

Enjoyed the MX-1 photos & experience! On the note about these images being all out of camera JPEGs, I have a couple questions. Perhaps I'm a bit of a control freak, but I find myself 95% of the time or more only using raw files.

Would you say that you primarily shoot in JPEG?

Are there any particular advantages to shooting JPEGs other than time saving?

It just depends on the situation. But yes, the only reason I do shoot JPEGs would be to save time/storage if I feel like the camera/lens camera and JPEG settings produce predictably good results.

If I am shooting landscape/astro/wildlife/infrared(obviously), I just shoot RAW. Those situations you either always need or at least it's always advantageous to do post processing.

If I'm documenting family I'll usually do RAW+JPEG, and throw the RAWs out afterwards unless there is some shot that really needs some work. That gives me the flexibility if I did want to go back and edit the RAW, but still gives me the JPEG with the in-camera adjustments I like.

Then if I am shooting random stuff playing around with an older camera it is almost always just JPEG. This is purely personal preference and offers no advantages. I just don't like editing that much, so if I'm out just trying to have fun then I treat it like what I get out of the camera is what I get. I used to never do this, but the past year or so I have been doing it so much that probably half or more of my pictures I share are straight out of camera. Just lazy 🙂

Happy snappin' 🙂

Gotcha, thanks for the thoughts on that! I was shooting with a Pentax KP and left it on JPEG by accident, the files looked nice and weren't too bad for a little bit of editing. I'll have to try that out more often