Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Pentax MV1

Hello members,

It won't be my first SLR camera but let me explain myself.

I bought a K1000 years ago. I was told it worked well. It does not. Somehow it let's light get into the body. I don't know what is the issue neither a place where I brought it knew (and they are experts on that :S)

So after that I bought a Zenit 122K thinking it'll replace my K1000 and then I'll do photos. But it comes with the Zenit 58mm and to be honest, it is hard to master it for me. So I don't find myself using it often. Also the camera I find it a bit difficult to use.

Now, my friend had a Canon A1 for sale. He asked me for help to sell it. But meanwhile we sold it I took a roll and shot on it. It was pleaseant and easy. And it worked! So it was great.

I have a couple manual lenses, from the Helios 58mm, to a gift I had the Takumar 50mm, I bought myself a Pentax K 135mm f3.5 (i really like it), I got a Chinon 50mm f1.7 and a Cosina 24mm f2.8.

Those I bought them years ago.

Now, what is the deal?

The deal is even though I am okay with a DSLR camera, I find myself finding harder to use an SLR camera and as I don't use the K1000 as it's worthless to use it (because it brings back film as if light would have just taken over all the film),  the Zenit needs to be "mastered" I though that maybe something easier to use will make me find more pleasure and also help me out grow using an SLR camera and using my old lenses.

So, why do I ask about the MV1? Because I have found a unit online a guy sells with the film advance motor and a Chinon 50mm f1.9 that I don't need, for a reasonable price and I have asked him if he would sell only the camera and motor without the lens.

I have been checking for information online and there is some, but I'd like to hear from you if you have had any experience with a camera like this model and how did you liked it / disliked it.

Thanks!

My social media: https://linktr.ee/F1photo

I don't have any experience with... any of the cameras you named haha. But I know that on most SLR's, bad light seals around the film door is a pretty common issue, and a relatively easy fix. You can get light seal foam for a few bucks and do it yourself, or have a shop do it. It shouldn't be too costly. If the light leaks are from the shutter, however, that's not really worth fixing.

Zenits also don't have a great reputation. You can get decent shots, but they were never really competitive with canons, nikons, pentax, minolta, yashica, olympus, etc. If you feel like taking photos with it is challenging, it's not entirely on you!

SpruceBruce, Daniel Gonzalez and JBP have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceDaniel GonzalezJBP
Ever striving for minimum competency
Quote from Justin Tung on January 25, 2022, 5:47 pm

I don't have any experience with... any of the cameras you named haha. But I know that on most SLR's, bad light seals around the film door is a pretty common issue, and a relatively easy fix. You can get light seal foam for a few bucks and do it yourself, or have a shop do it. It shouldn't be too costly. If the light leaks are from the shutter, however, that's not really worth fixing.

Zenits also don't have a great reputation. You can get decent shots, but they were never really competitive with canons, nikons, pentax, minolta, yashica, olympus, etc. If you feel like taking photos with it is challenging, it's not entirely on you!

Thank you Justin 😀

I have not used the MV1 but from what I've read it's a later cheaper model of the ME, which I have used. The ME was great. You shouldn't pay very much for it, because it is easy to come by and a pretty basic camera.

One thing to note is both the ME and MV can only shoot aperture priority (or bulb mode), so you cannot shoot full manual shots. This is fine since aperture priority with exposure compensation gets you where you need usually, and for long exposures you could use shutter release. But it's good to note incase you wanted to shoot in manual mode.

And I will second Justin's point. The light seals aren't difficult to touch up and generic seals can be bought and applied. I would ask about those, but definitely ask about the meter and make sure it works. Especially on a camera that cannot shoot manual you will need a working meter.

Justin Tung and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
Justin TungSpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂

I'll be the third guy to lament this point lol, I wouldn't buy a new whole camera just for a simple foam light seal fix.  You can even buy precut ones specifically for the K1000.  You just need some patience, a plastic scribe and some isopropyl alcohol to get out all the old ones, especially if they've decayed to the point they're gummy and broke down.

Justin Tung has reacted to this post.
Justin Tung

Thank you guys, much appreciated.

Yes the problem here is.... well basically me xD I have no patience, I am very bad at anything you need to work with your hands yourself and I better find someone else to do it for me. Really. I am one of those people. Yet will give it a look and, probably, will bring the camera somewhere in order to get it fixed 🙂

I would recommend to get an MX instead. Fully mechanical and will last you forever if maintained properly.

I think the electronic SLRs from the 70s are basically at their end of life.

Light seals can be done even with a non-handy person. I just use material from old mousepads and cut it thinly so it fits the gaps. It's also a good replacement material for the mirror bumpers.

Daniel Gonzalez and JBP have reacted to this post.
Daniel GonzalezJBP
Quote from tristancarlos on February 3, 2022, 9:32 am

I would recommend to get an MX instead. Fully mechanical and will last you forever if maintained properly.

I think the electronic SLRs from the 70s are basically at their end of life.

Light seals can be done even with a non-handy person. I just use material from old mousepads and cut it thinly so it fits the gaps. It's also a good replacement material for the mirror bumpers.

Nice pro-tip. Reusing stuff like that is, in a word, badass. 🙂