Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Pentax-M 28mm f/2.8 Lens Review

Page 1 of 2Next

I had the chance to use this lens for several months now and wanted to make a video about it. This little guy impressed me. I've already had several comments telling me to check out some other lenses like this one, but I am curious, do any of you use this lens? What are your thoughts? What's your favorite cheap lens you own?

Beau Carpenter and Iron have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterIron
Happy snappin' 🙂

I really enjoyed your video! My favorite cheap lens is my 35mm f1.7 CCTV lens that I picked up for about $30 on Amazon two years back. I have Micro Four Thirds cameras and with a little c-mount to m4/3 adapter it works nicely. Fairly sharp in the center and has a nice falloff at the edges.

Quote from Guest on January 9, 2021, 12:59 am

I really enjoyed your video! My favorite cheap lens is my 35mm f1.7 CCTV lens that I picked up for about $30 on Amazon two years back. I have Micro Four Thirds cameras and with a little c-mount to m4/3 adapter it works nicely. Fairly sharp in the center and has a nice falloff at the edges.

Interesting, it almost has a tilt-shift effect in that first picture. Very cool. I just picked up another m4/3 body and am excited to play with it. There are some many you can pick up for so cheap and just play with adapting things. Lots of fun to be had 🙂

Happy snappin' 🙂

Exactly, the adaptability makes a neat system. I really enjoy it for both photo & video. Do you plan to do a video on that camera at some point?

Quote from Beau Carpenter on January 11, 2021, 12:59 am

Exactly, the adaptability makes a neat system. I really enjoy it for both photo & video. Do you plan to do a video on that camera at some point?

It's still in the mail, so I haven't had a chance to play with it yet. I'm sure I'll make a video about it if it's interesting enough. I've had a few m4/3 cameras the last few years as a cheap way to get better video that my Pentax system. I always ended selling them off because I decided I didn't take videos frequently enough to justify it. That may change. If not, this one was cheap enough just to play around with anyway 🙂

Beau Carpenter has reacted to this post.
Beau Carpenter
Happy snappin' 🙂

Good deal, looking forward to it if you decide to make a video on it!

Also, thanks for pointing out the Pentax system for me. I picked up a P3N for $18 about a week ago as well as a 50mm f2. Then of course LBA kicks in and I had to order the 28mm that you shared in this video, $30 from Used Photo Pro! Hopefully I used your affiliate link correctly 😬

The 28mm focal length is one of my favorites. I use the 14mm f2.5 on my M4/3 cameras all the time, which was also a cheap lens, got it with a bunch of m4/3 gear on Craigslist, sold off the rest lot on Ebay except for that lens and basically got it for free!

Quote from Beau Carpenter on January 14, 2021, 3:40 pm

Good deal, looking forward to it if you decide to make a video on it!

Also, thanks for pointing out the Pentax system for me. I picked up a P3N for $18 about a week ago as well as a 50mm f2. Then of course LBA kicks in and I had to order the 28mm that you shared in this video, $30 from Used Photo Pro! Hopefully I used your affiliate link correctly 😬

The 28mm focal length is one of my favorites. I use the 14mm f2.5 on my M4/3 cameras all the time, which was also a cheap lens, got it with a bunch of m4/3 gear on Craigslist, sold off the rest lot on Ebay except for that lens and basically got it for free!

Cool, thanks!

Thanks for the tip on the 14mm f2.5. I haven't explored native m4/3 lenses much at all. That looks like a affordable wide angle. That is one difficulty I have come across with adapting lenses. Because of the crop factor, it's difficult to find lenses on the wider end of things. Going native might be the best option. Unless I mount my Rokinon 14mm 2.8 on it 😂 That would be a sight to behold with that huge Pentax K adapter and the huge lens.

Happy snappin' 🙂

https://flic.kr/p/2kziLjB

https://flic.kr/p/2kznWR4

https://flic.kr/p/2kziNDS

I’ve yet to shoot this lens on my KP, it never leaves my K1000 I picked up this past summer from a real estate sale for $10.  These were shot this past fall in Northern MN on said K1000 with Fuji C200, such a great lens for its value.  Perhaps once I get a spark of creativity with my KP and the 28MM SMC-M.  I’ll post more photos.

James Warner and Beau Carpenter have reacted to this post.
James WarnerBeau Carpenter
Quote from SpruceBruce on February 7, 2021, 3:31 am

https://flic.kr/p/2kziLjB

https://flic.kr/p/2kznWR4

https://flic.kr/p/2kziNDS

I’ve yet to shoot this lens on my KP, it never leaves my K1000 I picked up this past summer from a real estate sale for $10.  These were shot this past fall in Northern MN on said K1000 with Fuji C200, such a great lens for its value.  Perhaps once I get a spark of creativity with my KP and the 28MM SMC-M.  I’ll post more photos.

Beautiful pics, Bruce. I have not used it on APS-C except for just a minute. Would be interesting to play with that 40mm or so equivalent focal length some more. I like that length on full frame. Should be a good match on the KP. I hear great things about that camera.

Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from Snappy on January 8, 2021, 4:04 am

I had the chance to use this lens for several months now and wanted to make a video about it. This little guy impressed me. I've already had several comments telling me to check out some other lenses like this one, but I am curious, do any of you use this lens? What are your thoughts? What's your favorite cheap lens you own?

My favorite Cheap lens is probably my Minolta Rokkor 58mm f/1.4, but I got my copy at definitely below market. For a very common cheap gem, look no further than the Minolta Rokkor 50mm f/1.7. It's a tack sharp lens which was kit for generations of Minolta cameras, so there's a ton of them floating around. If you're looking for a solid nifty fifty for mirrorless, then this may be a good option.

James Warner and Beau Carpenter have reacted to this post.
James WarnerBeau Carpenter
Ever striving for minimum competency
Page 1 of 2Next