Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Pentax LIMITED jpeg profiles, does it make sense?

I don't know how many people are following the Pentax jpeg profiles they have been adding to some of their cameras via firmware updates. For some, JPEG profiles don't really matter as it's not part of their workflow, but I happen to really like them on my cameras. It's a fun way for me to try different styles in-camera, and allows me to quickly share photos without post processing.

Pentax started adding some new profiles. Yay. At first, there were some available to only the newer cameras (k-1, k-1 ii, k-3 iii) but once you upgraded your firmware you had them.

Then they released one a few months ago that updated via firmware on the latest cameras, but ONLY would appear as an option if you had SPECIFIC lenses attached to your camera.

They just released another one that does this same thing, but I happen to have one of the listed lenses (43mm limited) so I decided to upgrade and try it. But it won't show up as an option even with the lens attached, and I think it's because they list only the HD version of the 43mm limited, and not the older version (which is the same, just different coatings).

This is obviously not a technical limitation, but meant as a fun way to encourage using certain lenses for certain scenes. But this got me thinking. What do you think of this strategy? Would more of these profiles for different scenes that only appear when you attach certain lenses be a fun way to experience your Pentax system? Or does it feel like a waste of time on their part for developing these?

Happy snappin' 🙂

I think that any upgrade and improvement is a good thing. Reading your post made reminded me of a much more experienced photographer and friend of mine that I should always try to envision my photographs and how my camera can capture them, without or with the least amount of post-processing time... meaning, it is always great to fix our mistakes later (and for that reason shooting it raw will give you the greatest flexibility) but, still, I agree with him. Looking back at the most incredible photographs in history when the digital world was not yet an option, mastering the photography essentials (light, exposure, composition, etc.) was the difference between excellence and average. It is like going back and shooting film instead of my DSLR... every snap counts and should not be wasted (compared to the ability to take hundreds of shots and see them immediately as you take in DSLR cameras). Nonetheless, art is art no matter how we do it... I strive to be as plain as I can be without too much adjustment later in the LR or even before I take my photos... These essentials are the critical difference for me... Jpeg, in a way, is this limiting factor that forces you to use your photography skills and achieve great photos, regardless of what gear you use. I believe a good photographer will get good results in any situation thrown at them and with any equipment they have...

So, my question then becomes; how can I replicate these same JPEG profiles by only using the settings on my camera (if even possible, of course)? If the answer is no, then I think it is worth having... otherwise, I would instead take the time to get a similar result manually (Jpeg or RAW) no matter how long it takes to learn.

Thanks for the post! I will continue to check these updates.

Quote from James Warner on October 18, 2022, 2:31 am

I don't know how many people are following the Pentax jpeg profiles they have been adding to some of their cameras via firmware updates. For some, JPEG profiles don't really matter as it's not part of their workflow, but I happen to really like them on my cameras. It's a fun way for me to try different styles in-camera, and allows me to quickly share photos without post processing.

Pentax started adding some new profiles. Yay. At first, there were some available to only the newer cameras (k-1, k-1 ii, k-3 iii) but once you upgraded your firmware you had them.

Then they released one a few months ago that updated via firmware on the latest cameras, but ONLY would appear as an option if you had SPECIFIC lenses attached to your camera.

They just released another one that does this same thing, but I happen to have one of the listed lenses (43mm limited) so I decided to upgrade and try it. But it won't show up as an option even with the lens attached, and I think it's because they list only the HD version of the 43mm limited, and not the older version (which is the same, just different coatings).

This is obviously not a technical limitation, but meant as a fun way to encourage using certain lenses for certain scenes. But this got me thinking. What do you think of this strategy? Would more of these profiles for different scenes that only appear when you attach certain lenses be a fun way to experience your Pentax system? Or does it feel like a waste of time on their part for developing these?

Personally it irks me that they only default to so and so lenses....that's way too restrictive and if anything takes what little marketing Pentax has going for them and shrinks it into an even smaller demographic.  Personally if I worked at Ricoh, I'd let everyone reap the benefits of fun and newly innovating JPEG profiles, look how much it's gotten a Fuji a cult following...you shouldn't be gatekeeped for not owning a limited edition lens to get a JPEG color profile.

Quote from PentaxEd on October 18, 2022, 4:41 am

I think that any upgrade and improvement is a good thing. Reading your post made reminded me of a much more experienced photographer and friend of mine that I should always try to envision my photographs and how my camera can capture them, without or with the least amount of post-processing time... meaning, it is always great to fix our mistakes later (and for that reason shooting it raw will give you the greatest flexibility) but, still, I agree with him. Looking back at the most incredible photographs in history when the digital world was not yet an option, mastering the photography essentials (light, exposure, composition, etc.) was the difference between excellence and average. It is like going back and shooting film instead of my DSLR... every snap counts and should not be wasted (compared to the ability to take hundreds of shots and see them immediately as you take in DSLR cameras). Nonetheless, art is art no matter how we do it... I strive to be as plain as I can be without too much adjustment later in the LR or even before I take my photos... These essentials are the critical difference for me... Jpeg, in a way, is this limiting factor that forces you to use your photography skills and achieve great photos, regardless of what gear you use. I believe a good photographer will get good results in any situation thrown at them and with any equipment they have...

So, my question then becomes; how can I replicate these same JPEG profiles by only using the settings on my camera (if even possible, of course)? If the answer is no, then I think it is worth having... otherwise, I would instead take the time to get a similar result manually (Jpeg or RAW) no matter how long it takes to learn.

Thanks for the post! I will continue to check these updates.

I can't seem to find it anywhere, but I do recall someone posting a "recipe" for what to change in the JPEG profile settings to get a similar look to SATOBI, for instance. They all should be pretty replicable if not totally if you tinkered long enough with a side-by-side image comparison in-camera. At least for the more modern Pentax bodies, the older ones have less JPEG tweaking options build-in.

I do agree with the philosophy of your first paragraph. I'm not opposed to not getting it right "in-camera" but focusing on doing so surely should benefit the final outcome either way, so it seems like a good thing to work on.

Quote from SpruceBruce on October 18, 2022, 12:15 pm
Quote from James Warner on October 18, 2022, 2:31 am

Personally it irks me that they only default to so and so lenses....that's way too restrictive and if anything takes what little marketing Pentax has going for them and shrinks it into an even smaller demographic.  Personally if I worked at Ricoh, I'd let everyone reap the benefits of fun and newly innovating JPEG profiles, look how much it's gotten a Fuji a cult following...you shouldn't be gatekeeped for not owning a limited edition lens to get a JPEG color profile.

Right, it does seem like a classic Pentax flunk. Often in their at least digital history they have gotten so close to a fun or excellent thing and then put some odd twist on it. I always chocked it up to cultural difference between my western brain and the heads at Pentax.

I really do think I get the idea they are going for, I just think in practice like you said, the outcome is not a bunch of people excited about presets limited to lenses. Fun idea, but the better idea is just to release the presets to everyone. Don't have to make everything totally different Pentax. You really can just follow with something that worked for another brand xD

Happy snappin' 🙂

I think the fact that they're only being made available for the newer HD versions of the lenses kind of betrays the concept of featuring these profiles to match up perfectly with Limited lenses and sort of fit their characteristics. Because there are no real-life differences in characteristics between the older SMC and newer HD lenses - if anything, only different flare resistance. So it seems to me like it's a lot more calculated simply to match up with the lenses that are actually for sale, as opposed to the older SMC ones which are being phased out. It's a little disingenuous, even though I think the profiles so far have been pretty nice.

I ramble on sometimes about snap photography, photographic philosophy and equipment! Ye be warned.

Sounds to me like they are incentivising a new lens purchase. (I am pretty clever figuring that out, huh?)

James said...

Right, it does seem like a classic Pentax flunk. Often in their at least digital history they have gotten so close to a fun or excellent thing and then put some odd twist on it. I always chocked it up to cultural difference between my western brain and the heads at Pentax.

same culture as Canon, Nikon, etc.

I think it's weird that they keep that RAW button on a camera on an $1800 camera, just incase you shoot something that might be worth saving one for. It assumes you are shooting Jpegs rather than the other way around. Made sense on a K5. thought it was the greatest idea ever, back then. Not so much today.  Why you would put that on a supremely weather sealed camera with all kinds of features geared towards becoming a D500 contender. Not a game changer as you could always reassign it, but just that strikes me as weird.

Fuji has their film simulation thing going.  I think that's cool. Since Fuji is a film company too. Their cameras have retro dials on top just like my good old FM2. The thing I think is really cute is the film box top holder that appears in the LCD. As a package, something like that makes more sense.

I could be wrong about it but I think they have done firmware updates for cameras they no longer make.