Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Pentax-F SMC 35-70mm f3.5-4.5 Macro

This may be one of those lenses which, like me, you've either never heard of or completely overlooked. It's a variable aperture, not very bright, not particularly exciting focal range, and is an eighties plastic fantastic look like the rest of the F series, and it has a macro function that's not true macro. Can it be any good?

Well, yes. Yes it can! I picked this up at a film photography shop for $50 after trading in a couple of orphan SLR lenses for mounts I don't own, but which I somehow still acquired. They were asking $79 originally. It's really, really small, and it balances really nice on the K-1, so I figured even if it wasn't very good, it would still offer a fairly useful zoom. But, spoiler, it's really good! I'll provide some shots tomorrow to prove it.

Uploaded files:
  • PXL_20230204_223403342.jpg
SpruceBruce, Daniel Gonzalez and JBP have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceDaniel GonzalezJBP
I ramble on sometimes about snap photography, photographic philosophy and equipment! Ye be warned.

Some samples.

Uploaded files:
  • 2023-02-06_07-33-06.jpg
  • 2023-02-06_07-33-13.jpg
  • 2023-02-06_07-32-58.jpg
  • 2023-02-06_07-32-39.jpg
  • 2023-02-06_07-32-51.jpg
SpruceBruce and Daniel Gonzalez have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceDaniel Gonzalez
I ramble on sometimes about snap photography, photographic philosophy and equipment! Ye be warned.

Some more.

Uploaded files:
  • 2023-02-06_07-33-37.jpg
  • 2023-02-06_07-33-31.jpg
  • 2023-02-06_07-33-25.jpg
  • 2023-02-06_07-33-19.jpg
SpruceBruce and Daniel Gonzalez have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceDaniel Gonzalez

This is a great lens, from the F series that I consider very nice.

I have had it in the past and it's very nice. Yet I had too many lenses and they were overlaping so I sold it.
I have insisted to a friend of mine who started in photography to buy one of those instead of an 18-55mm for his K5, yet he went for the 18-55mm kit lens.

I like this 35-70mm and most likely if you add a lens hood it would produce even better photos.

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP
My social media: https://linktr.ee/F1photo
Quote from agentlossing on February 6, 2023, 3:36 pm

Some samples.

These are great!

agentlossing, SpruceBruce and Daniel Gonzalez have reacted to this post.
agentlossingSpruceBruceDaniel Gonzalez

That shot with the Space Invaders and the red colors is so refreshing! Super cool! With an otherwise lackluster lens, shows to go a little know how and creative mind can make an awesome photo with constraints.

Daniel Gonzalez and JBP have reacted to this post.
Daniel GonzalezJBP

I always assumed this was a junk lens as well until I discovered a cult following on PentaxForums for this one. I picked one up a few months ago in a bundle of film gear and lenses for $15 - but it turned out to be really fungus ridden. It actually still looked quite well, but since I wanted to use it and make a video about it potentially, I decided I should give it a fair shot and not just with fungus 😛

Now with the move and everything it's pushed way back on my list of things to try, but one day I will. I love these overlooked lenses you can get for cheap.

SpruceBruce, Daniel Gonzalez and JBP have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceDaniel GonzalezJBP
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from James Warner on February 9, 2023, 8:58 pm

I always assumed this was a junk lens as well until I discovered a cult following on PentaxForums for this one. I picked one up a few months ago in a bundle of film gear and lenses for $15 - but it turned out to be really fungus ridden. It actually still looked quite well, but since I wanted to use it and make a video about it potentially, I decided I should give it a fair shot and not just with fungus 😛

Now with the move and everything it's pushed way back on my list of things to try, but one day I will. I love these overlooked lenses you can get for cheap.

I think it's probably pretty important to get a copy without fungus, most of these older lenses already aren't great with flare, and I could see the presence of fungus and loss of the SMC coatings wreaking some havoc on this particular lens. But if the optics are good, like mine, it's a champ!

James Warner and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruce

A few more images.

Uploaded files:
  • IMGP2654_DxO_DxO.jpg
  • IMGP2477_DxO_DxO.jpg
  • IMGP2490_DxO_DxO.jpg
  • IMGP2496_DxO_DxO.jpg
EckyH has reacted to this post.
EckyH

A few more samples from this lens. I tend to process everything from DNG with the K-1 mark II using DXO PhotoLab 5 and the Color Fidelity profiles for good colors (otherwise colors from Pentax DNGs look rather off in Lightroom and Photolab).

IMGP2727_DxO by Andrew Lossing, on Flickr

IMGP2631_DxO by Andrew Lossing, on Flickr

IMGP2572_DxO by Andrew Lossing, on Flickr

EckyH has reacted to this post.
EckyH