Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Pentax DA 300mm f4 vs Sigma 100-300mm f4

I have just won the Pentax DA 300mm f4 for cheap! Can't believe it! Anyway, I thought I'd be able to compare it against the Sigma 100-300mm f4 side by side. It would be really interesting if the Sigma 100-300mm f4 is indeed a DA 300mm killer. We'll see!

Watch this space 🙂

SpruceBruce and Daniel Gonzalez have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceDaniel Gonzalez

Just got the DA,.. quick test!

DA 300mm f4

IMGP8965 | Tristan Carlos | Flickr

Sigma 100-300mm f4

IMGP8964 | Tristan Carlos | Flickr

How sharp can you be at 300mm f4?!? The DA* 300mm is very sharp!

Bokeh is creamier on the Sigma and it seems that the FOV is slightly longer/tighter too.

Beau Carpenter, SpruceBruce and Gawad have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterSpruceBruceGawad

That's an interesting side-by-side. I had thought a long time about the Sigma before I got my DA*. I may have even gone for it had it been readily available. They are still a little hard to come by.

The contrast is a lot higher on the DA* as well. I think that contributes to a lot of the difference of the looks, though it does also look sharper as you mentioned. Cool you got a good deal on the DA*! It's one of my favorites now.

Beau Carpenter and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterSpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from Snappy on July 7, 2021, 5:45 pm

That's an interesting side-by-side. I had thought a long time about the Sigma before I got my DA*. I may have even gone for it had it been readily available. They are still a little hard to come by.

The contrast is a lot higher on the DA* as well. I think that contributes to a lot of the difference of the looks, though it does also look sharper as you mentioned. Cool you got a good deal on the DA*! It's one of my favorites now.

Yeah the Sigma 100-300mm f4 is a pretty rare beast. I might even keep it just because of its creamier bokeh and aperture ring. Plus, having the versatility of a zoom. AF seems a lot quicker with newer bodies too!

update: Sold the Sigma 100-300mm. The flexibility of a zoom is good but I want to be able to use f4 and get good results. I have found that I needed to stop down to f5.0 to get acceptable results and it doesn't really get very sharp even at f8.0 (using a Pentax KP). I guess it was good when the pixel density was not so high but with high-res sensor nowadays, I believe the Sig 100-300mm starts to reveal its limitations.

p.s. Sold it higher than what I've paid for the DA 300mm.

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Quote from tristanludlow on July 14, 2021, 7:24 pm

update: Sold the Sigma 100-300mm. The flexibility of a zoom is good but I want to be able to use f4 and get good results. I have found that I needed to stop down to f5.0 to get acceptable results and it doesn't really get very sharp even at f8.0 (using a Pentax KP). I guess it was good when the pixel density was not so high but with high-res sensor nowadays, I believe the Sig 100-300mm starts to reveal its limitations.

p.s. Sold it higher than what I've paid for the DA 300mm.

That's awesome! Score. Good to know your thoughts about it. The DA* 300mm f4 is a winner for sure 🙂

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂

to me the prime looks way better.

Tristan Carlos has reacted to this post.
Tristan Carlos

Yep, I thought so too. The fact that the DA 300 is also smaller and weather sealed made it a no-brainer for me. The Sig had to go.

Something worth mentioning is that the precision of Pentax limiteds and DA* lenses is next to none. All of my limited lenses and DA* lenses do not need AF fine tune adjustments. They're all bang on 0.

Quote from tristancarlos on July 20, 2021, 8:29 pm

Yep, I thought so too. The fact that the DA 300 is also smaller and weather sealed made it a no-brainer for me. The Sig had to go.

Something worth mentioning is that the precision of Pentax limiteds and DA* lenses is next to none. All of my limited lenses and DA* lenses do not need AF fine tune adjustments. They're all bang on 0.

Mine do 😂 But I wonder sometimes if it's my bodies and not the lenses if it's almost every one? I don't know.

Happy snappin' 🙂

This is an intesresting topic.

As a Sigma 100-300mm f4 user and lover (well now it's broken and works only from 100 to 200mms) I have been looking at the DA* 300mm f4 with desire, but I do use my lenses for motorsport so the flexibility of the zoom is key for me.

I would love to add an DA* in my collection and use it with the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 I just bought in order to replace my non reparable Sigma. Yet again I have been very pleased with the images taken with the Sigma for the past 6 years since I bought it. I think it is a great investment if you can get any.

Tristan Carlos has reacted to this post.
Tristan Carlos
My social media: https://linktr.ee/F1photo