Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Pentax-a 1:2 50mm

A Friend of a Friend met me a while ago when My Friend and him were in town, and I happened to be putting new light seal in my Ricoh KR-5 at the time. Next time I saw him he gave me a Pentax Program Plus that he apparently found at a thrift store and bought "because it seemed cool" but never used or even opened up. I cleaned it up and am testing a roll of film in it right now, but wanted to see the quality of the lens on my K-70.

It's honestly shockingly good:

The Texture on this NES-style Switch controller shows off how much detail it captures.

This picture of a Beanie-Buddy "Drake" was taken very shakily handheld, but the SR did pretty well and I love the Hexagonal Bokeh.

It's awesome and I'll have to check out more Pentax-A lenses, are there any you suggest?

Quote from Pierson Mason on December 21, 2022, 1:25 am

A Friend of a Friend met me a while ago when My Friend and him were in town, and I happened to be putting new light seal in my Ricoh KR-5 at the time. Next time I saw him he gave me a Pentax Program Plus that he apparently found at a thrift store and bought "because it seemed cool" but never used or even opened up. I cleaned it up and am testing a roll of film in it right now, but wanted to see the quality of the lens on my K-70.

It's honestly shockingly good:

The Texture on this NES-style Switch controller shows off how much detail it captures.

This picture of a Beanie-Buddy "Drake" was taken very shakily handheld, but the SR did pretty well and I love the Hexagonal Bokeh.

It's awesome and I'll have to check out more Pentax-A lenses, are there any you suggest?

Great examples! Oddly enough, I've never owned an A lens before. I own a M 50mm f2 and felt similarly about it. Great cheap lens. Many of the M lenses were updated to the A series as well and share optical designs. The M lenses I've enjoyed so far are the 50mm f1.7 and 28mm f2.8.

Actually I just remembered, I do own an A lens! I just picked up one of these: https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-A-35-105mm-F3.5-Zoom-Lens.html

@SpruceBruce here has one and has some great examples taken on it. Nice constant aperture zoom lens. Mines a little beat up and I tried to fix it and so far unsuccessful so it's stuck wide open. But otherwise it's good!

Pierson Mason has reacted to this post.
Pierson Mason
Happy snappin' 🙂

Actually I just remembered, I do own an A lens! I just picked up one of these: https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-A-35-105mm-F3.5-Zoom-Lens.html

Cool that looks nice! Do you push or turn to Zoom focus with it? Looks like a good candidate to adapt for Video, I learned recently about the Magic Lantern software Mod for the Canon EOS M and it makes me want to buy one to build a budget cinema rig.